Author Topic: New member intro  (Read 2240 times)

Offline 2422276

New member intro
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:46:15 PM »
Greetings from the Peoples Repubik of Kalifornistan! This is my first post as a member, although I have lurked on this site for years as a guest.

I'm an O-L-D, Retired LEO, after 32 years, from an 800 sworn SoCal Sheriffs Department. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps, and I'm a Vietnam Vet. Enough ancient history.

I've wanted an RS9 since I first saw one at the Shot Show in the early 2000's. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford one then. Now I can afford one and started searching in earnest.
Kalifornistan has what is called the "Safe Handgun List" - which is a total misnomer! It's just a way to shake down gun manufacturers and limit what type of handgun people are "allowed" to own. The Rohrbaugh's are personna non grata on "The List" -  which means they aren't allowed to be imported from out of state or sold commercially in Kalifornistan - except through an FFL Consignment sale or by "Private Party Transfer". These "exceptions" means that most guns already in the state may be sold/transferred through an FFL between two private citizens - with the proper documentation. So, my only hope was to find one for sale, in state- within reasonable driving distance to PPT. After years of searching, fast forward to March 2020 I finally saw one for sale on Calguns.net - "only" 100 miles away! The seller was a member of this site "Offrdmania". deal was made.
  (S/N R1035)  Farmingdale markings on the slide. Low round count. Fresh springs.
Absolutely perfect condition! Amazing fit and fit and finish. Came with the Original case. all paperwork. one magazine with pinky extension. lock. spare springs. Clameny OWB holster. Takedown tool.
Also, A second slide with Deerpark, NY markings that the seller said was from Eric's personal collection.
I don't know how to post photos, but the seller also posted it for sale on this site with great photos under his "Offrdmania"post history.
So, I'm really happy! Haven't shot it yet due to the Covid crap and scarcity of the correct 9mm rounds. Right now I'm satisfied with just fondling it!.
If someone has a magazine they would be willing to part with, I would be interested in purchasing it.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
Welcome to the Forum 242!  It would appear you scored a really nice R9 from a valued Forum member….congratulations.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 12:13:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum. 

If you need help with pictures let me know and I'll post them up for you, just email them to me.

I think I found the pictures of your gun, is this it???

If so that is awesome you got a finger grip extension on the magazine. 

(Click picture to enlarge to full size.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:19:49 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 08:15:45 PM »
Welcome, thank you for joining and introducing yourself.  I am sure glad that I'm not a resident of Kalifornistan!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 09:18:57 PM »
Welcome aboard good Sir.

You may find some magazines either in our Classified Section or on Gunbroker or eBay.

If you need any help, many here are very familiar with the R9 pistols.

I may even be of help if needed.

Enjoy your stay here.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 10:33:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Can someone post a list of preferred ammo for him so he can broaden his ammo search? I’ve never had a problem with the Speers Gold Dot 115gr. Www.sgammo.com is a great place to look. They don’t currently have Speers though.

Offline 2422276

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! So much experience and knowledge on this site!
"Mike in Texas" -  Yes. That is the gun. Beautiful, Right?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 11:32:27 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! So much experience and knowledge on this site!
"Mike in Texas" -  Yes. That is the gun. Beautiful, Right?

Yes it is.  I also have a "Farm-Park" R9 with sights (or is it Park-Dale??).  Mine has a serial number within a few dozen of yours.  We are not the only ones, a few other members, IIRC,  have these early guns made in Deer Park NY, with earlier Farmingdale NY slides on them. 

Mine was a replacement due to a cracked original slide.  You seem to have gotten lucky with out having to go that route.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:34:22 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
I remember that we affectionally called them "Deer Dales", one of which I own, but Eric graciously addressed the cracked slide with some other offers to make us happy campers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:01:43 PM by tracker »

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 02:15:50 PM »
Yes, tracker is correct.  I remember those being mentioned.

And, another 'Thank You' to Eric for what he did for my cracked slide issue.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »
I remember that we affectionally called them "Deer Dales", one of which I own, but Eric graciously addressed the cracked slide with some other offers to make us happy campers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:01:43 PM by tracker »
Yes, tracker is correct.  I remember those being mentioned.

And, another 'Thank You' to Eric for what he did for my cracked slide issue.

« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:15:50 PM » by MikeInTexas
You guys are quite welcome!  It’s been a lifetime of humbleness for me to help owners of our little pistol through the years. I have become friends with many of you, to which I say it has been a wonderful journey!  God Bless you all. Have a wonderful New Year! Stay safe out there folks!
Regards,
Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 08:22:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Can someone post a list of preferred ammo for him so he can broaden his ammo search? I’ve never had a problem with the Speers Gold Dot 115gr. Www.sgammo.com is a great place to look. They don’t currently have Speers though.

Hi all!

Just doing one of my periodic check-ins here. This seemed like an easy spot to post something.

I've been carrying my pup (R9S Stealth) for 13 or 14 years now with Federal 147 grain standard pressure stuff. Initially it was Hydra-Shoks and the past four or five years, it's been HST.

They run like a top.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:47 PM »
Good to hear Doug.

Hope all is well by you and your family!

Stay safe out there!

Regards,

Eric R.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 09:53:34 PM »
Thanks Eric! We're well.

And thank you for your continued support of the R9 community.

It matters.