Author Topic: 9mm for short barreled guns  (Read 17205 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: 9mm for short barreled guns
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 05:15:59 PM »
All 124 gr. is not +P; a lot of people, including me, have been
using the 124 gr. GDHP and like it; stay with it if it works
for you.  

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
If it is +P for Golddots it will say so on the shell case.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
has anyone been reliably using the blazer aluminum-cased 124 gold-dot in their R9?

i have a few boxes laying around and like the idea of using ultra-light-weight-cased ammo in the world's lightest auto. the lighter the better!

[woops! looks like i brought life back to a long buried thread. sorry, didn't mean to wake the dead, thus making this a zombie thread, i guess...]

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:01:36 PM by coyote »
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
Good coinage -- Zombie Thread  ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
BTW - never tried the stuff, even though my first R9 eats whatever you shove down it's throat.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »
I have not fired the Aluminum or Steel cased ammo in my pup, but have used both in my G-19. I wouldn't use Aluminum cased ammo for carry it galls to easy and could cause a jam.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »
Never have liked Aluminum cased ammo and wouldn't use it in the R9 not even to try it.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:30 AM »
Never have liked Aluminum cased ammo and wouldn't use it in the R9 not even to try it.

Very good decision KJT, as all aluminum cased Speer is loaded with lead free primers.   Speers lead free primers run about 5% FTF out of a case of 1000.   Speer always considered that reasonable when my agency contacted them about the training ammo we were using.   Strictly speaking a second primer hit will not usually fire the round either.   They make good practice ammo, especially if you want to practice immediate action drills.   Also Blazer with lead free primers does not make good storage ammo for a rainy day as those same lead free primers have a limited shelf life as opposed to lead styphinate primers which have an unlimited shelf life.   But I wouldn't bet MY life on that ammo.  Someone else can with my blessing, but not me.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
That's great info Flintsghost, I know that I have bought some Blazer in the past when it was on sale.  
Knowing what you have said now, I will use that stuff up next range session with the wonder nines.

Thanks

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »

Very good decision KJT, as all aluminum cased Speer is loaded with lead free primers.   Speers lead free primers run about 5% FTF out of a case of 1000.   Speer always considered that reasonable when my agency contacted them about the training ammo we were using.   Strictly speaking a second primer hit will not usually fire the round either.   They make good practice ammo, especially if you want to practice immediate action drills.   Also Blazer with lead free primers does not make good storage ammo for a rainy day as those same lead free primers have a limited shelf life as opposed to lead styphinate primers which have an unlimited shelf life.   But I wouldn't bet MY life on that ammo.  Someone else can with my blessing, but not me.  

just called CCI and they do agree with you. they say every blazer they make is for "practice only" and should never be used for defensive purposes.

thanks for all the input guys!
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
Now that's something worth learning!

Better than learning the hard way, which is usually the path I seem to choose.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »

The following is printed on the back of a Blazer box which supports everything stated here: "Blazer ammunition designated as Clean-Fire is manufactured with primers using new technology which eliminates lead, barium, and antimony compounds from the priming chemistry. Clean-Fire also exclusively utilizes the Speer Totally Metal Jacket [TMJ] bullet. The lead bullet core is totally encased in a copper jacket-no lead is exposed at the base where hot gases can vaporize lead in conventional full-jacketed bullets. Recommended for indoor shooting ranges. Clean-Fire ammunition is designed for use in firearms having original factory hammer/firing springs. Misfires may occur if modified or non-standard springs have been installed. When storing this ammunition, avoid extreme temperatures and/or high humidity."

So much for hot lead.

Offline elde

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Ok, this is really good stuff to know. I've been using Blazer Aluminum for practice in 9mm and .45 for 10 years or so. Never had a failure but never used it in my R9....strictly for full sized pistols. But, I do have quantities of the stuff on hand. I'd better get busy shooting because some of it has been around for a while - several years (although in a climate controlled area). Thanks for the posts gentlemen.  

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
 I may just be lucky, but I had a mixed box of 115gr WWB, American Eagle, old Lawman FMJ and some old 147 and 124gr ball ammo that I decided to put through the pup on my second range day with the R9.  I just mixed them up in the magazines rather than separating them by type just to aid in my own training.

I've also fired about 100 Gold Dot 124gr and a couple of mags full of Hydrashoks through it.  All, including the mixed box, without any failures.  They were all standard pressure loads of course.

It seems that at least this particular R9 is quite indifferent about what ammunition I use.

To answer the original question, I thought I had seen standard pressure, short barrel Gold Dots, but I can't say what caliber they were.  The +P are obviously not to be used in the R9, as per Rohrburgh's specs.

Edit:

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

The only GD SB available in 9mm is 124gr +P.  It must have been the .45 ACP I shot as standard pressure in my PM45.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:55:37 PM by Relic »
Land of the free, because of the brave.