Author Topic: How to remove screws  (Read 33810 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: How to remove screws
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
silvertaby, welcome to the campfire, go slow and learn.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
The problem of dissimilar metals has been around ever since alcoa aluminum first came out with the frames for the Hi Standard pistols in the late '40's.  It isn't new.  Colt of course on their own designs used grip escutcheons of steel that were held into the frame by staking and yet some well meaning owners always seem to torque the screw down so that the escutcheons come out with the screws still in them and the grips are then removed.   There is a solution, take heart.

People who work on aluminum engines in vehicles learned years ago that steel bolts and aluminum blocks, heads etc would weld themselves together creating a variety of unwanted problems.   Mechanics then were treated to products like "Never Seize"  now a Permatex product called "advanced anti seize lubricant" which is graphite based.  There is another copper based product I use on firearms which is NAPA  C 5 A anti seize compound that comes in a small tube.   I use a toothpick to apply just a dab to the threads on frames and I tend to use it whether it's dissimilar metals or not, just to make sure the screws always come loose without damage to threads or heads.  I've done that for years out of habit.  Just remember  that this material may show up as small dots on magazine sides if you overindulge.  A Q tip up inside will solve that.   Don't wipe it off on your pants because it can cause permanent staining to them.  Use a rag and wash it off your hands before you start something else because it transfers to everything.  But it does work.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:08:44 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on the anti seize compound, I will look for it. Almost two years have passed since I had a screw head failure at the range. Many of you may recall that I returned it to the factory and they returned it to me on 06/11/09. Richard suggested moving the screws on a periodic basis to help prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. I attempted to do that about 6 months ago but the screws were on so tight from the loctite compound applied by Rohrbaugh that my Eklind folding ball hex allen wrench would not budge them without excessive force which I didn't do because of fear of stripping the screws. Fortunately, some good things happened here on the forum that have answered my screw issues. John sent me some of his excellent high quality black screws which were installed yesterday. In doing this I used the Hudy hex driver, .063", suggested by Mort and also heated the screws as a result of SSlater's, Steve, suggestion to use a soldering iron. This was the first time I had removed the grips myself in over 6 years. Naturally, I encountered the same sear trigger bar spring popping off as others have here. A small flat screwdriver opened the coil enough to reinstall the spring. The Hudy tool and the screw heating were key in removing the tight screws. The only residue I noticed on the old screws was from sheared thread locking compound. Just thinking about this experience has bothered me for awhile. Thanks to John, Mort, Steve, and Richard's excellent advice I am now a happy camper about screws. I put just a touch of Corrosion X on the new screws.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:30:58 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
Good info there, tracker.  Hope all goes well in the next or so range sessions.  I'm sure they will as you've used precautions.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on the anti seize compound, I will look for it. Almost two years have passed since I had a screw head failure at the range. Many of you may recall that I returned it to the factory and they returned it to me on 06/11/09. Richard suggested moving the screws on a periodic basis to help prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. I attempted to do that about 6 months ago but the screws were on so tight from the loctite compound applied by Rohrbaugh that my Eklind folding ball hex allen wrench would not budge them without excessive force which I didn't do because of fear of stripping the screws. Fortunately, some good things happened here on the forum that have answered my screw issues. John sent me some of his excellent high quality black screws which were installed yesterday. In doing this I used the Hudy hex driver, .063", suggested by Mort and also heated the screws as a result of SSlater's, Steve, suggestion to use a soldering iron. This was the first time I had removed the grips myself in over 6 years. Naturally, I encountered the same sear trigger bar spring popping off as others have here. A small flat screwdriver opened the coil enough to reinstall the spring. The Hudy tool and the screw heating were key in removing the tight screws. The only residue I noticed on the old screws was from sheared thread locking compound. Just thinking about this experience has bothered me for awhile. Thanks to John, Mort, Steve, and Richard's excellent advice I am now a happy camper about screws. I put just a touch of Corrosion X on the new screws.

Thank you, Tracker. That trick about heating the screws with a soldering iron is one for the "personal reference manual."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »
silvertaby, welcome to the group. If good information on the R9 is what you want, you came to the right place. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »
Amazon has the same 1/16 hex driver "Wiha 26316 Precision Screwdriver, Hex Inch, 1/16 x 50mm" mentioned before for $4.77 including shipping.  http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26316-Precision-Screwdriver-Inch/dp/B000O5ILMU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304654363&sr=8-2

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
At that price, I've ordered one as a spare. Thank you for the notice, Joe!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »
Yeah, that hex driver and a bit of blue Loctite, and you are set. It would be nice not to have to tighten the grip screws after every magazine shot.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
That's the one I have, but this is at half the price.  Think I'll order another as well.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
yeah, now that you mention it, i should have ordered two, one for my shooting crap bag, and one for my cleaning bench.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
My Wiha hex driver arrived. It is a quality tool made in Germany. Thank's again for the heads up, Joe.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »
Got my tracking info from Amazon and says my Wiha should arrive May 13.  This is fast shipping.  Appreciate the info, Joe.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Me, too. What a deal.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
I'd like to see a torx screw instead of the allen.

I can tell you don't own a jeep. Anyone with a jeep would never wish for Torx screws for anything in their life.