Author Topic: Finish Durability  (Read 2394 times)

AC

Finish Durability
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:38:03 PM »
Hello folks,
I'm a PM9 owner who is very serious about ordering an R-9s.  My only question/concern is the durability of the anodized finish on the frame.  I'm sure this is the best way to protect the alloy, but I'd like to know if you are getting any knicks or wear spots from pocket carry.  Also, are the surfaces that mate with the slide also anodized?  If so, i assume that the anodization in there wears off pretty quickly even if well lubed.  This would not be a concern as long as there is no corrosion problem with steel against aluminum.  Is there a way to touch up any worn spots on the visible part of the frame for cosmetic purposes?  Thanks for your help.
AC from Spokane

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Finish Durability
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 10:23:35 PM »
AC:

Welcome to the Forum.  Those few of us who already have our Rohrbaughs have not had them long enough to comment from experience on your question on the durability of the anodizing.  However, my understanding is that the Rohrbaughs are using the same technology for anodizing as is used by such long-established manufacturers as Kimber.  

As for myself, in the unlikely event that my R9S ever shows signs of wear from pocket carry, I know where to have it refinished -- and it would probably be in hard bright chrome.  I have a 1991A1 which left the Colt factory wearing a grey matte finish.  It now almost shines in the dark with its hard bright chrome finish.  (But then, I always try to customize my guns.  Can't seem to help it.)

I predict one thing for certain.  These Rohrbaughs are destined to become "cult guns."  (Move over, Seecamp.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"