Author Topic: The Cult of Pocket Carry  (Read 7972 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
The Cult of Pocket Carry
« on: July 07, 2004, 07:56:37 PM »
I was starting to feel alone in the world of CCW. Having carried various guns in various holster styles I had come to a conclusion. I can't stand carrying any other way than in the front pocket. The kel-tec P32 had become my sole everywhere everytime front pocket piece. I'd tried Glocks, Sigs, and H$Ks; in belt slide, inside the waistband and even Smartcarry holsters. They were all just too heavy, too bulky, and too inconvenient. I fell in love with only having to carry a second wallet, i.e., P32. I never liked the power of the 32ACP or the price of practice rounds so I had been considering a P3AT and PM9 since the time they were announced. The 3AT still being a compromise on power and the PM9 on size with its Glockesque blockieness.
Rohrbaugh has eliminated a majority of these compromises. This forum must have the largest percentage of pocket carry junkies I have yet encountered. It figures we would all find our way here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 08:22:17 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: The Cult of Pocket Carry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:53:07 PM »
Welcome to the cult. ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:28:38 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  There are more of us than you may realize.  And this is a good place to meet some of the most responsible members of the "community."

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 01:23:01 AM »
I have had the same experience. I have the "common" drawer of holsters. Belt carry has always been uncomfortable for me.

Over the years, I've narrowed down my carry choices to waist pak, pocket and recently neck carry. Just got a holster for neck carry for my Keltec 32. I've worn it for 4 days and my family never noticed.

Let's see.....Glock in waist pak, R9 in front pocket and 32 around the neck with the knife and pepper spray....I'm ready to mow the lawn..........................  :D :D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 01:39:41 AM »
I do - and can - pocket carry .. did a week or so ago but for most part ... I have to remain one of the board's ''oddballs''"! ;D

I favor belt .. and for the tiny lil' pup .... my K&D belt slide is just fine ... tucks away - minimal print risk ...... and draw is quite quick - more so than pocket I'll bet ya!.

My dear, late Mother (Rest her soul) .. always said I was .... not one of the conformists!! :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »

Pocket carry is ideal for me.  I don't carry too many guns that I can't carry in a pocket.

I recently did an article on pocket carry for Concealed Carry Magazine.  I gotta find a way to get the .pdf hosted so I can make it available here.

And yes -- this and Kel-Tec boards and great places to find pocket carry types!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline michael_t

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 06:21:15 PM »
I like my Mustang in my pocket PPK/S works too, but perfer IWB for it.
1941 Colt USGI
1972 Colt Combat Commander
1995 Colt Combat Commander
1990 Colt Mustang
PPK/S
Bersa Thunder

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 10:48:52 PM »
Under protest, years ago, RJ made a pocket holster for my Mustang.  Both of you are right.  It's a little on the large size for pocket carry.  Still and all . . . if and when . . . .  

I don't intend to sell the Mustang, but it has long since been supplanted in my CCW arsenal.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline HLG

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »
The only way I carry is pocket carry. As much as I like my R9s, I miss my Keltec P3AT. It is the only gun I ever carried that I didn't notice was there. I can tell that I am carrying the R9s. Compared to the P3AT it feels like a brick.  It is thicker and heavier, but I am carrying it every day.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 08:02:52 PM »
 I feel strongly about the Rohrbaugh,  it was given its own page on my site a few days ago, at the suggestion of my Web Master.   A good move,  this will be a strong selling pocket holster, soon.  Thank Rohrbaugh's !  :)

When I started making holsters about 6 years ago, a *Pocket Holster* was hard to find.  Most of the big time makers only had a minimal offering, if any.  One of the earliest I can recall is the *Strong Holster Co.*   They required the gun to be clawed out of the pocket, with what I call the *Calvary Draw.*   The palm of the hand was facing out as the gun was retrieved,  very awkward.

My designs are all original, and are often copied. I take it as a compliment. :)
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 10:49:10 PM »
As my Cherokee grandfather would have said, "RJ speaks truth."  The only crticism I have of him is that he is too modest and doen't take legal advice from his lawyer friends -- such as copyrighting, if not patentiing, his "Back Pocket" holster design.  

According to my research, Chic Gaylord was the first to come up with the idea of a partial counter-print panel to help mask the imprint of a pocket holster.  RJ perfected the concept with the FULL-counter-print design.  We all know the holster as the "Back Pocket" model.  I have several of them, and I almost always carry them in my FRONT pocket.  The full panel makes the gun and holster appear to be a wallet or address book, if it even imprints at all.  (I have long argued that the design should be renamed -- perhaps "TC," for "total concealment.")

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 11:04:56 PM »

The "patent" issue is interesting.  My research indicated that no one has any kind of patent relating to a pocket holster design of any kind.  It may be that the designs are not unique enough to be patentable.  Certainly now, given the proliferation of such designs, the ideas are in the public domain and no longer protectable.

Ultimately, there are only so many ways to stand a gun up in a holster and stablize it.  The concept is easy -- its the workmanship and craftsmanship and the subtle design elements that distinguish them.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »
DDGator:

Right.  The time has passed -- about seven years ago.  And it may not have been patentable anyway,  but only copyrightable.  This entire area of intellectual property law is a swamp, as you know.

We all stand on the shoulders of those who went before.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 12:31:08 PM »
 Some very good points.  It is true, if a piece of leather is wrapped around any given gun, it will share the characteristics of that gun.  As I have said before, but never as well as Gator [above].  There are distinguishing differences in similar designs to consider.

Richard_S has been by my side, in many ways over the past few years.  Both as a good customer, a loyal friend, and the inspiration behind several of "Hedley" designs.  He ordered the very first Rohrbaugh  holster, two types, and all embossed with "TRS"..

He is a "Sucker" for a neat holster. :)
RJ=

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 12:45:15 PM »
This was an idea inspired by a insistent customer.  This was a couple of years ago.  

A Cargo Pocket holster, w/ removable Anti-print panel.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:48:51 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=