Author Topic: Is it worth buying even if you own a PM9?  (Read 9114 times)

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
Re: Is it worth buying even if you own a PM9?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2004, 08:32:46 AM »
I love the little pm9, if it works for you its a tough call...

The R9 is smaller, and carries better in a pocket if thats important to you.

I found the kahr just a bit large and blocky for all the time pocketcarry,

The R9 is also about 3oz lighter.    The R9 fits perfectly in  Colt Pony 380 pocket holsters, so size appears the same except the pony has a grip tang that gives it more lenth.

My pony has been at SMA getting custom work since 9/2003 if I can ever get through to Doug I may just tell him to sell it in his shop...

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 02:44:25 PM »
I bought a PM9 when I ordered my R9.  I wanted to have a pocket gun for my relocation to Florida which should happen before the R9 is ready :)  I'm only using std pressure rounds in the PM9 so that I can use similar ammo in the R9.  After the R9 gets here, I'll compare and contrast the two and either sell the PM9, sell the R9 (I doubt it :) ), or just keep both.  This PM9 is proving to be a keeper in terms of reliability, but I have no doubts about the R9, being hand crafted and all.
- Dan

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 05:01:57 PM »
DMObrien2001:

You'll certainly see the difference when you have both.  I own both but put the PM9 away after I received and tested my R9S.  I bought the PM9 for times I wanted the ability to pocket carry a 9mm.  Other times I carried my P3-AT (which is also a great pistol).  Now with the R9S I have a 9mm with the approximate same dimensions as the P3-AT.  

My PM9 needed a trip to Mass. before it was reliable.  It often failed to go fully into battery and needed a slight push to do so.  I understand that was a pretty common problem.  Kahr started using a stronger spring and that seemed to help the problem.  The Kahr gunsmiths were great to work with and did some additional reliability work that I hadn't even asked for.  

I will keep the Kahr as I may someday use it with a belt scabbard.  It was not ideal for pocket carry as you will see when you compare it with the Rohrbaugh.

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 08:45:35 PM »
 ;D In a "word", YES. I own both the P9, PM9, and an R9S. For me the PM9 is more "forgiving" for people shooting without "locking" their wrists. The PM9, at least for me, with its sight enables me to hit targets ar longer ranges. Now, the R9S conceals in jeans pockets "much" better. I use mine as a BUG most of the time. Now, we "all" have been lazy at times, just grabbing the smallest and most convienent pistol to make a "quick" 7-11 run to please the SO, with the R9S, I have a 9mm in my pocket. BTW, I've ordered another R9S.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 12:32:55 PM »
I thought that it might be relevent to this thread, but my current off duty BUG and primary are the Kahr PM9 and Kahr P40 Covert. When I get my R9S that will take the PM9's place as my 24/7 gun and I will go back to using my Para-Ordnance C6.45.LDA Para-Carry as my primary gun.

Frank

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 10:16:10 PM »
Hi Frank:

You don't want to use the P40 Covert as a primary--why?

Offline saltydog452

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 03:51:49 AM »
I don't plan on selling either of my Kahrs or my Colt Pocket 9, but I do forsee a R-9 for me somewhere over the horizon.  Ballistically either of my Kahr pistols work just fine thank you with 115 Cor-Bon ammo.  Folks, this Cor-Bon stuff is steppin out at 1350 fps.  I don't see the R-9 as being capable of that level of performance.  In fact, std 9X19 ammo is reaaal close to +P  9X17 which, by the way, works just dandy in my PPK.

As for me, should a situtation arise for serious social intrcourse, I want to have the biggest, baddest deterrent close to hand as possible.  Right now, thats a S&W Airweight with Birami grips or a Kahr P-9.  The little Guardian in is an off-side hip pocket.

My clothing, body type ( no waist, no butt), and climate dictate the choices that are available.  

Now if I can just give up chicken fried steak, mashed pottoes, and drinking gravy through a straw and, somehow,  finding my waist again I might be able to go for all season holster carry.

For now though, the little Airweight Bodyguard or the Kahr is as close to ideal as I have been able to find.

We all have limitations imposed upon us by our lifestyle.  If I wore a suit coat constantly, I think that I would try to find some type of 88 Belch-fire Loudenbanger Magnum with a 32 round clip to tuck away somewhere under an arm pit.

salty

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2004, 03:47:10 AM »
... My next piece is a 332.  I have been reading up on it quite a bit.  The .32 H&R mag is a great bullet.  Just about the same power as a .38 sp but without the recoil.  PLUS, an extra round!  
Nope, that's a myth. I own both a 332 and a 342 and I can tell you that a .38special has much more stopping power. The .32mag approaches the stopping power of a .380acp.

Offline dkochan

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »
Yes, it is definitely worth it buying a Rohrbaugh R9 if you have a Kahr PM9 because the R9 conceals much better in a pocket and draws faster from pocket than a PM9.