Author Topic: Trijicon Sights  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Kim

Trijicon Sights
« on: July 30, 2004, 01:19:55 AM »
  :D I could not get on the gunsmithing area for two nights in a row. I think many of you would like to know you can have Trijicon night sights installed on your R9S. I have attached a picture showing now they look (poor picture quality). This work is done by:
Tool Tech Gun
20 Church St
Oxford, MI 48371
248-628-1811 ask for Gary
Cost $196.25
3 trijicon inssert @ $35 each
Gunsmithing $76.25
Return shipping $15
Sorry I can't figure out how to post the picture and the Help does not help.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Trijicon Sights
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 12:21:08 PM »
E-mail me your photo, I will post it right away..We want tto see it.....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 12:21:41 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this information, Kim.  This is very good news.

Are the inserts specifically Trijicon?  Did the gunsmith simply drill the appropriate holes in the sights and install the inserts?  I imagine it would be pretty simple for the rear sight but not so simple to get the hole in the front sight parallel to the slide.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 02:20:15 PM »
Thanks Kim for posting this, I was sent a little better photo,  thanks again.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 02:20:44 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 03:00:02 PM »
BillinPittburgh

Good point, but I think *parallel* would be rather impossible. There would have to be a slight angle to avoid marring the slide top.

I imagine there are other installations where the angle was employed. It's not a perfect world we live in.  :)

I, for one will go for this installation. And have the *Worlds First Perfect Pocket Pistol*.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 06:21:49 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 03:17:28 PM »
Hi RJ,

I think you are right, an angled hole would work, as long as the angle didn't take the bottom of the hole too close to the bottom of the inside of the slide.  I haven't actually seen a Rohrbaugh yet, so I don't know how much metal is there.

Years ago, when I asked Colt about putting tritium sights on my Detective Special, I was told that it could be done with the front sight only, because there wasn't enough metal in the rear sight to drill without weakening it excessively.  This, of course, is a very different situation as the rear sight on the revolver iis part of the topstrap.

The picture looks really nice.

I am a big believer in tritium sights, and if it can be done without unduly weakening the slide, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 05:06:48 PM »
Outstanding!!!

8)

Offline Kim

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 06:17:47 PM »
The sights are Trijicon. Tool Tech Gunsight does all the custom work for Trijicon. The hole for the rear and front sight are parallel to the top of the slide. Very precise work, there was no room for error. Gary at Tool Tech is a master at this type of work.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 06:23:27 PM »
Impressive!
Tough, very tough.  Can't say that I would want to the responsibility of drilling those holes in someone else's R9  :o

Talk about holding a tight ***  :D

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »
"The hole for the rear and front sight are parallel to the top of the slide." Kim

If this is the case,   I am glad I was mistaken.. :)

Thanks Kim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 10:54:03 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 10:08:58 PM »
 :) Now when I get my "second" one, I'll send my first one in for a "final addition." ;D

Offline Oscar

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 11:03:50 PM »
  This modification looks great!  What is the turnaround time for this work?    Also, how would this work affect Rohrbaugh's product support?  
  I envy all of you that have received your R9/R9s's.  I await the arrival of mine, but I believe that it is still a ways away.  If anybody knows, what is the waiting period for an R9s ordered in mid-May?    

Offline Kim

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 01:48:52 AM »
The turn around was just under two weeks. Of course it depends on the work load at Tool Tech. I had them do a S&W 340PD and it was over a month, they were doing a lot of work for the military at that time. Rohrbaugh knows about this installation. I don't know, but they may even consider this as an option. There was no metal remove that would weaken the slide. Tool Tech would never install sights on a firearm if it would weaken any part.

Offline Kim

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 01:56:21 AM »
I might add call Tool Tech 248-628-1811 ask for Gary if you are considering this work. I only sent my slide so no problems involved sending a whole pistol.

Offline Kim

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »
There is a problem with the front sight insert. It has broken twice from the recoil. I'm sending the pistol back again to
Toolteck hopefully they can fix it so as not to recur again. I will be contacting Gary on Wednesday for an opion on the problem. And will keep you informed as I learn more.