Author Topic: .380 issues  (Read 13772 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: .380 issues
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
Just to update, I ran a tiny amount of Gun Butter down between the right side grip and the trigger bar, and the problem of the trigger sticking in the rearward position seem to have resolved itself for now.

How were you able to get the Gun Butter between the grip and the frame to reach the trigger bar ? Also if you shoved something between the right grip and the frame you may have just moved the grip enough to relieve the pressure on the trigger itself and allow it to work.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »
Gun Butter sells a package with needle type system.  And as you know, when you pop the slide, there is one wide gap at the top right on the right panel that is accessable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:01:44 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
  Reinz, Thanks for clearing that up, I have no personal knowledge of Gun Butter, only Land-O-Lakes. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big_John_1961

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »

How were you able to get the Gun Butter between the grip and the frame to reach the trigger bar ? Also if you shoved something between the right grip and the frame you may have just moved the grip enough to relieve the pressure on the trigger itself and allow it to work.
I just put a drop of the oil on the top of the grip and let it seep through.  I assumed the part I could see moving right behind the grip was the trigger bar, but maybe not.  Either way, the trigger sticking back seems to be gone for now, but there is still that grittiness at the very first part of the trigger pull.  It's not a huge deal, but it does bug me.

I'm going to try the soldering iron method and see if I can get the grip off and see what things look like in there.

Offline Big_John_1961

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »
Gun Butter sells a package with needle type system.  And as you know, when you pop the slide, there is one wide gap at the top right on the right panel that is accessable.
Exacty right.  The tube I have has the needle.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »
I guess the important fact is thats it's working better. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big_John_1961

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
I had the chance to get the .380 to the range yesterday for its second go around, and I'm happy to report that things were vastly improved.

This time the pistol was freshly cleaned and lubed, and 177 rounds went downrange.  40 rounds of Hydra Shok, 100 rounds of American Eagle FMJ and the rest Gold Dots.

I did have two malfunctions, both with the FHS; one FTE at round 37, and on FTF right at the end of the session (which was a pain to clear).  100 rounds of the AE was absolutely flawless as were the Gold Dots.  

I was very encouraged by the session as the little pistol shot beautifully and accurately.  I think I will be switching my main carry load to the Speer Gold Dots as they seem to work very well in just about every pistol I own.

I was so pleased with the Rohrbaugh that I've made the decision to acquire an R9 as soon as I can.  I've been pocket carrying the .380 for a couple of weeks now, and I love the smooth, snag-free profile of these pistols, as well as the ergonomics.  It has really grown on me, and I think it's time to add its big brother to the fold.   ;D

By contrast my Kahr P380 continued to have problems, with 8 more premature slide lock-backs over 40 rounds.  I'm convinced that slide locks on small pistols like these is a bad idea.  Rohrbaugh and Seecamp have the right idea.

Thanks to all for the help earlier in this thread.   8)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
Big_John.  Great range session with the AE and Gold Dots; glad to see your decison on getting the R9; you'll be pleased, for sure!  Enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
I love the smooth, snag-free profile of these pistols, as well as the ergonomics.  It has really grown on me, and I think it's time to add its big brother to the fold.

I'm convinced that slide locks on small pistols like these is a bad idea.  Rohrbaugh and Seecamp have the right idea.

Glad to hear your R380 sorted things out so well on its second range session.

I agree with your appreciation of the smooth snag-free rpofile and ergonomics of the R380 / R9 - in this area they truly lead the pack of small pistols by a big margin. I also have a Kahr P380 and frustration with its reliability is what led me to the R9 as my "go to" pocket pistol. I am also convinced that as overall size shrinks features you want on a full size pistol become more of a liability than an asset. Rohrbaugh was right to go to a heel mag release and no slide stop.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
Big John, glad to hear the good news.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am sure that your success with the R9 will be as well.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
mmm hot buttered Rohrbaugh!     ;D
Now available in two delectable flavors .380ACP and 9mm.

Gitcha some.
Land of the free, because of the brave.