Author Topic: Need advice on a "special" gun -- Silve  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Need advice on a "special" gun -- Silve
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Well, I will finally be finished w. law school this semester -- then it's the bar on Feb, and I can shake the legal dust from my feet, and dedicate myself wholly to ice cream...  However, I've been leaning toward a BBQ gun to celebrate the occasion.  

So, first, does sterling or German silver work to make a Seecamp's grip?  I, w. the help of Tom, bought one w. a custom serial number to be a wedding present for my sister-in-law.  It didn't make it in time for the wedding, so my brother and I have been talking about doing it up, and giving it to her on their first anniversary.  The local  silversmiths do great work on belt buckles, etc, and are very nice men.  I've been thinking about having them engrave the gun, and make some grips to match.  

If it can be shot w. silver grips, they would be another benefit over the burl walnut ones I already have being made for it.

Now, for my stuff:

I can either do up my python - the metal's in great shape, and it's lovely mechanically, but there's enough holster wear to not worry about it's collectibility.  

Or, by an old model 25, or a refinished pre-WWII 1911, or have some grips made for my 625.  Any other suggestions?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Need advice on a "special" gun -- Si
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Aglifter:

As one who completed law school and passed the Bar in 1962, I congratulate you and wish you well.

Sterling silver grips would really dress up a Seecamp, and I see no reason why a custom silversmith could not cast a set for you using the originals to make the mold. There would probably have to be some grinding and polishing to achieve final fit and finish, but the result could be outstanding. Just be aware that silver grips would proably add about three Troy ounces to the weight of the pistol.

I've posted this photo in the past, but to show what can be done, here is a G380 with a pair of sterling panels a local silversmith cast for me:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »
Very nice,

Smells of Success,

and well deserved!

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
Aglifter, congrats on all of your hard work. I had my Seecamp .32 engraved by Michael Gouse in Mt.  How about a USFA SSA engraved??   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
Well, I've decided to go w. a 1911 -- now, I can either go w. a

Pre-WWII, civilian one -- I know where there are two, supposedly in good mechanical shape, but which have been refinished, so no collectible value OR

Have one I'd actually carry (Ti Frame, 4" steel slide) by a custom smith (Hank Fleming) who does really, really impressive work.  I've never been a big fan of Wilsons, Nighthawks, etc because I never found them that impressive -- Hank's impress the heck out of me.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
go with Hank's 4" slick it up and carry it.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »
go with Hank's 4" slick it up and carry it.   Tom

Now that sounds like a plan!  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
A Hank Fleming does sound good.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln