Author Topic: Up in size a tad ...... but still useful.  (Read 5708 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Up in size a tad ...... but still useful.
« on: August 20, 2004, 12:47:20 AM »
Two pieces that I can't remember us discussing a lot are .. the ''Mak'' (in 9 x 18) and the Bersa Thunder in .380 (9 x 17).

I have one of each and I must say - whilst re size and weight (and cal even) they are not in R9 category - they are IMO very viable carry pieces.

I occasionally use a fanny pack - and my Bersa ''lives'' in that - such that if donned, the Bersa is with me... plus spare mag!

The Mak is somewhat more recreational but - in terms of bang for buck .. the Mak is for sure a great buy for those on more limited budgets.  I enjoy shooting mine... and it is robust and reliable.

Both these are blowback and so not as sophisticated as an R9 by far ..... but, they do represent IMO valid extra carry choices... for not too much loose change.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline michael_t

Re: Up in size a tad ...... but still useful.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:40:28 AM »
I agree about the Bersa a fine little pistol for the money Iam sorry to say I don't carry mine much any more. Was replaced with a PPK/S. The Bersa is still shot a lot just not carried as often. My pocket pistol is my Mustang in Don Hume pocket holster. PPK IWB carry. I've tried to warm up to the Mak and can't. I really can't find any thing to  like,finish,trigger grips.sights odd cal. But then I don't own any AK'S orSKS either,and won't.
1941 Colt USGI
1972 Colt Combat Commander
1995 Colt Combat Commander
1990 Colt Mustang
PPK/S
Bersa Thunder

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 02:00:03 AM »
I've tried to warm up to the Mak[size=13][/size]
S'OK Michael ..... you're still welcome!! ;D

I think you must be the first I have come across that doesn't find the ''Mak'' a remarkable piece ....... for price and reliability!  Mind you - it's not a carry piece for me but - I know there are those who find it serves a good purpose.

And .. no fun with an AK?  Shame! :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 08:05:22 PM »
Chris:

I see Maks all the time at gun shows.  Which is preferable: Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, East German?

Thanks

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 09:09:20 PM »
Mike .. the most common IMO and also probably cheapest - will be a Bulgy.  $149 is a price I kept seeing at gun shows earlier this year.  Not seen a Romanian yet and EG ones seem less than common.  The Russians are IMO the most desirable to get .. they will usually command more money and keep value better.  Mine is Bulgy import but - actually a Russian .. as shown by a classic triangle type marking on left side.

IIRC, It is not legal to bring a Russian one straight in - but seems, if it goes the Bulgarian route and gets their stampng too ..... it gets here!  That's about as much as I  know really, but -

For good info - do go browse at Makarov.com.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline michael_t

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:03:22 AM »
The' MAK ' is a good pistol but for $50 more you can get the Bersa,better trigger,sights .I belive a better gun, over all .I went to store today and looked at the "MAK"again and just can't warm up to it. Thats why there are many firearm companys. so people have a choice.
1941 Colt USGI
1972 Colt Combat Commander
1995 Colt Combat Commander
1990 Colt Mustang
PPK/S
Bersa Thunder

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 01:03:15 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I'll look at the next gun show.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 10:43:49 PM »
The East German Makarovs have the best bluing, fit and finish.  There are some FINE black leather flap-over holsters from Bulgaria; very nice leather!

I have sold all of my several dozen Makarovs, except for 4 East German ones.  Just my preference.  If you remember some of my posts from a few years ago, I went by Reverend Makarov in some forums.   ::)

I find the Bulgarians to be a GREAT deal.  They are good products but have a bit of a funny color to the finish.  The pistols are not very ammo finicky but there are only a few that are made for the hotter, heavier 9x18 120 gr. HP at 1150 fps!!!  Most, will foul up with these rounds.  I think they are a bit larger in diameter and that, with the steel case and lacquer finish on the cartridges... soon sticks things up on most Makarovs.  Most ammo is 95 gr. fmj at 935 fps approx.  

The most accurate I've had were the Russians.  The most perfect in every way, E.G. and second... fortunately for those just now buying... the Bulgarian!  

Just a note: When I ordered my first Makarov, they were $1,200 and a two year wait.  They were well worth the price!  I never did get one.  Finally, I got one, my first Makarov an E.G. one for $80 as I recall, then they quickly went up a bit and are still inching up in price over the years.  

There are many of us that feel they are one of the finest; that is most reliable, dependable, accurate, pistols ever made.  We've sold about 1,000 of them here locally and probably millions of rounds of ammo and have never, yet had a machinery fault in one!!!!  Some bad ammo, lots of bad shooters problems over the years with that many pistols and shooters out here.  Try it... You'll like it.

Those who like the form, function and appreciate mechanical near-godly-perfection of firearms... like those of us here, are good prospects for a Makarov.   :o ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »
[size=13] ordered my first Makarov, they were $1,200 and a two year wait.[/size]

Jody - that quite took my breath away!  Shucks! :o  

Glad I got mine when I did - approx 18 months ago I guess ....... not cheapest but the Russian/Bulgy import cost around $200 mark IIRC.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site