Author Topic: 1911 holster  (Read 7239 times)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
1911 holster
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:10:41 PM »
This weekend, I decided to carry my 1911 instead of my Glock, which has revealed a unique holster need for this pistol.

I previously installed an ambi safety on the 1911 as a result of undergoing some training in weak hand drawing and shooting. On occasions when I carry the 1911, I carry it IWB in a Blade-Tech holster. The thinner the holster is, the more comfortable and concealable it is, so I generaly prefer Kydex for IWB carry. Before installing the ambi safety, the sweat shield on the holster did an adequate job of protecting the safety, as it effectively blocked anything from reaching the safety, even though it did not lock the safety in the on safe position. However, with the ambi safety, it is possible for the safety to be accidently wiped off.

The only holsters I am aware of that lock the safety in the on position are those from Wilson Combat. They offer two IWB holsters: one has a J-hook, which means that the weight of the gun is supported by the pants instead of the belt. The other, the "Summer Companion" is essentially Wilson's version of the Bruce Nelson summer special. It is only offered with 1.5" belt loops (all of my dress gun belts are 1.25"), and with the reinforced mouth, I am not sure if it is thin enough for good concealment and comfort.

Does anyone know of anyone else who makes a holster that locks a 1911 safety in the on position, carries the gun in a butt-forward cant, has 1.25" belt loops, and is made from either Kydex, unreinforced molded leather, or molded leather with reinforcement in front only?
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: 1911 holster
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:49:43 AM »
Bill:

I'll bet that Ron Graham could make one.  You might also want to check Mitch Rosen's web site.  I may be wrong, but your description sounds like a holster I once saw there.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 11:30:31 AM »
Thanks, Richard.

I posted the same question on Ron's site, so hopefully if he can make such a holster, he'll let me know.

I haven't been particularly impressed with the Mitch Rosen holsters I have ordered in the past, so I don't plan on calling him.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
I often carry a 1911 Colt Commander in a Milt Sparks VM2 holster.  This pistol has an ambi safety, and I've never had an issue with the safety.  The Vm2 does have reinforcement in the front.

The Vm2 has a bit of leather that projects upward as a shield to keep the top of the pistol from rubbing against your body - that leather has molded itself to the safety to a degree, and I believe makes it very hard for the safety to be disengaged while holstered.  

I will state, though, that when I had this Commander customized I did have my 'smith make the safety detent distinct enough so that the safety goes on/off with a very good snap (no mushiness), so it is hard for it to be accidently engaged/disengaged.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 02:43:30 PM »
Frank - sounds like a nice rig.  Reminds me that I have been trying recently a carry for my BHP - which I have been liking more and more as I shoot IDPA with it.

Dick (RtW) sent me a most beautiful holster made by Horseshoe Leather in UK ... very similar to yours I'd guess ... having also the extra leather piece coming up to keep gun separate and away from clothing.

This one is actually designated for .45 Gov't but, because still quite stiff it accepts my BHP just beautifully - and so makes for a real nice carry rig.  Sits high and cant is good too - keeps gun nicely tihght in.

I have never carried a semi that much before - P95 or P97 in past but never a S/A semi.  The BHP does tho have an ambi (it's a BHP Practical) ... and the detent is reasonable on it tho not quite ''snappy'' .... thing I do find tho is - if condition #1 then once gun is holstered I can readily check safety status on right side with right index finger - a useful check just in case holstering has affected the safety on way in.

So far - safety not adversely affected by holstering but - that check on right side, visually and with index finger makes the ambi a very useful feature.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:50:02 PM »
I like the ability to check the right side as well, but had thoughts of going back to left-side only after last weekend.  However, i know the value of that ambi safety even for a right handed person, and a holster with some kind of block under the safety would be the best of both worlds.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:32:56 PM »
Here's one I just finished for a client this morning.

www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »
Hi K-Man,

First of all, that is very nice stitching, fitting, and decorating of the leather.

What condition does your customer carry in?  Most who carry 1911's and use a retention strap would probably want it to fit between the cocked hammer and the firing pin, thereby both allowing and adding to the safety of cocked and locked carry.  I prefer not to have a retention strap on a belt or IWB holster.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »
NICE work Kevin ... handsome indeed. :)

Like Bill - I am not one for retention strap, of any kind.  If I did tho - I'd again agree with Bill - tho this sorta stuff is all down to personal pref' - naturally.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 08:59:49 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen.  ;D

Bill, in this instance the client wanted it in the style shown.  I agree that most people who carry a 1911 and want a strap over that area are looking for it to ride between the cocked hammer and pin.  
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi Bill:

I never thought of the problem with an ambi safety before. I've given up carring full size 1911A1 pistols, but I still would carry a Commander or smaller version.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 11:09:55 PM »
K-Man:

That is a beautiful piece of work!  Your photo and Bill's initial posting have caused me to think once again about the "perfect" holster for my Clark-customized Colt Government Model 1991-A1 .45.  

I have been searching for the "perfect" 1911-type holster for CCW use ever since my Army days back in the '60's.  One of my old law school professors used to say, "In some matters, perfection is a shade of blue not yet seen by the human eye."  However, I suddenly find myself once again thinking about that "perfect" (but elusive) 1911-type holster.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 08:32:02 AM »
Thanks, RS, appreciate your comments.  :)
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Spoke with Matt Del Fatti today.  It turns out he can make a suitable holster.