Author Topic: R9 on GB with Slide Crack  (Read 11343 times)

Offline JoeGagmo

Re: R9 on GB with Slide Crack
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »
" No matter how many times you wash a donkeys head, you still have a donkeys head ". Old Sicilian saying...

On the Naples side of sayings, I think my Mom used to say something about a tuxedo on a pig 😂🤪

Offline JoeGagmo

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
If anyone is interested, I believe I kept some photos of the inside of this one on my iPad. Just send me your email address. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:33:23 AM »
Well gentlemen, here is my take on viewing the photographs and my knowledge of what we can “get away with” and “what we can’t” on the R9 shown here.

Photo #1:

The slide is in fact cracked. I do have some around I would send the new owner for free as we would have done that if we were still in the firearms business anyway. It may be a used one, but quite usable and for the right pricing. No charge.

Photos #1 & 2:

Note the early original black carbon fiber grip set is still intact on this R9. Those have the Rohrbaugh Family Crest from Germany however; note the rarity of these as they do not have the name “Rohrbaugh” beneath the crest within a banner ornament. Early Carbon Fiber Gripsets can run upwards of $325 for the black and even more for the blue sets. 

Photos #6 & 7:

Barrel “lock up area” looks good, sharp and quite reusable.

Photo #15:

Barrel pin hole is really ok. Frame wear is really fine and even. No issue there. 

Photo #17:

That “curved area” is from debris that made it into the gun while firing and this one is really a none issue as far as reliability is concerned. That, we found out through years of observing, is just cosmetic in that area, nothing more. Looks like the frame/barrel seated well on this R9. Good.

Photo #18:

As yes, the recoil system early on. Many of you may recall that we had an “open ended” outer recoil spring, much like the Colt 1911 .45 ACP.
The instruction sheet showed the correct orientation for this spring. In this particular case, the owner put the spring in backwards, causing the damage to the recoil system sleeve. Many times in those early years, R9s would be return “defective” and all it was was that the owner did not adhere to the manual for spring placement properly. We eventually went to the two ended finished outer recoil spring to eliminate that issue. While the system on this gun has that mark, overall, from viewing it here, the system still looks serviceable. I do have those systems available for sale if needed, less the outer recoil spring and end cap.

Good Luck with your bids. At the current price, it’s worth it just for the grips alone!

Best Sincere Regards to All,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
$330 with 4 hours to go.

I think it is still a very good deal, especially with Eric's generous offer.

Hopefully a forum member has this locked up and will give this one new life.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »
$330 with 4 hours to go.

I think it is still a very good deal, especially with Eric's generous offer.

Hopefully a forum member has this locked up and will give this one new life.

It cost me $560.00 + $25.00 shipping, but it’s now mine.

Now I’m a three Rohrbaugh R9 family, my 19 yr old son has my original R9 I purchased years ago, I have one I snagged awhile back, and this one is going to my wife.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
Congratulations PursuitSS, I think you got a great deal.  (Obviously with some near future help from Eric.)

Soon to have a working R9 for sub $600 with a pair of magazines, box, paperwork and those early grips.

Not bad at all, I think you done good.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
Congratulations PursuitSS, I think you got a great deal.  (Obviously with some near future help from Eric.)

Soon to have a working R9 for sub $600 with a pair of magazines, box, paperwork and those early grips.

Not bad at all, I think you done good.

I was beginning to wonder if it was going to go too high. It made a $200.00+ jump this afternoon.

I was glad to snag it.

NRA Endowment Member

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 12:39:59 PM »
Eric, IM sent in reference to slide  :)
NRA Endowment Member

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »
Your replacement slide is waiting. We'll talk behind the scenes.

Enjoy your weekend.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 09:58:37 PM »

Enjoy your weekend.

Eric R.

Thank you so very much sir!

IM sent.
NRA Endowment Member

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »

Enjoy your weekend.

Eric R.

Thank you so very much sir!

IM sent.

. . . . taken care of.

ecr

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 05:59:37 PM »
I now have it in hand ;D

Yep, that slide is CRACKED!!!!

Eric, what’s your verdict on the recoil spring assy? Usable or replace it?

As to the frame being cracked, I can’t find a suspicious area. I suppose I could have it Zyglo inspected.
NRA Endowment Member

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
That is THE FIRST Slide I have ever seen with a crack on the front by the recoil assembly access area below the barrel hole.

Looks like the recoil is usable, however, I'm sending you another one no charge. We would have done that when we were in business.

Otherwise, good deal.................

Eric R

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
That is THE FIRST Slide I have ever seen with a crack on the front by the recoil assembly access area below the barrel hole.

Looks like the recoil is usable, however, I'm sending you another one no charge. We would have done that when we were in business.

Otherwise, good deal.................

Eric R

Eric, I think I have a clue why the slide has a crack at the front....the poor Pup was beat to death. The recoil spring was the ORIGINAL open end unit and was SHORT!

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLACEMENT SLIDE!!!

The R9 will get checked out this Sunday We went to the local range this evening and fired three magazines through it with no issues. (I’m using the recoil assy out of my Stealth)

Thanks for the replacement recoil assy!

Have a great day sir and thank you for bringing this wonderful pistol to us.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:27:23 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
You are quite welcome for the assist SS.