Author Topic: How will people carry the Rohrbaugh?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
How will people carry the Rohrbaugh?
« on: July 08, 2004, 12:35:39 AM »
This is a what if kind of thread. In a year or so, after the general public is more aware of this handgun, and after the gun rags publish their reviews, how will this firearm be used?

What kind of holster/form of carry will become most popular: belt, IWB, pocket, or some other form of deep concealment? What kind of holsters will most people want: for example--front or rear pocket. Maybe a belt holster, but what kind--pancake, vertical, janqui slide type, et cetera. Maybe you think an IWB rig will be more popular, or maybe a deep concealment rig?

Do you think that a typical Rohrbaugh purchaser will want a thumb break or open top? Will they want a cowhide, horse hide, or exotic leather?

I'm interested not in how you intend to use the gun, but how do you think others will use it.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: How will people carry the Rohrbaugh?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 01:28:25 AM »
George - JMHO - but I'd reckon most will be simple pocket ... without holster even perhaps.  I happen to not be a huge fan of pocket, per se ... and prefer belt slide OWB .. the reason I asked Kevin to make me one, as well as pocket rig.

Somehow - with a gun this small .. I don't see IWB as being too popular.  Let me guess % ...

Pocket - no rig ...... 15%
Pocket - with rig ...... 50 % or more.
OWB, belt slide etc .... 25%
''Other'' (there's a cop out!) .. 10%

Guess if used as BUG we should allow for ankle also.

Just my humble and not very precognitive 2 lil' pennies! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 02:43:01 PM »
I agree that this gun is ideally suited to pocket carry and that will undoubtedly be its strongest role

The fact is that if you are going to carry on your belt, you can carry a significantly larger gun without much trouble -- at least a PM9 or Glock 26, maybe even something with a metal frame!

The R-9 will become the quintessential pocket piece for CCWers and as backup for cops (some will carry on the ankle probably too).  This is the role that the P-3AT was destined to fill -- and probably will still continue to do because of the economics involved.

I still predicit -- as I have been -- an almost "cult-like" following for the R-9 -- like we see, for example, with the H&K P7M8.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 09:11:20 PM »
Hi Gator:

Yup, it makes sense that a pocket gun would be carried in a pocket. But I wanted to start a "Carnack" style of game, to get people to predict what the general market would want.  I'm sort of set in my ways, so I find it interesting to see other points of view.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:07:57 PM »
"I'm sort of set in my ways, so I find it interesting to see other points of view."  GeorgeH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 The first half of that quote is an understatement. :)   And I'm surprised you would concede,  that there is another point of view.    :) :) :) :),
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 10:09:04 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 01:48:24 PM »
I get the game ...  I thought I was responsive.  This gun is so natural to pocket carry -- that has to be the default method.

For other styles... IWB is very popular, but is tough with a small gun like that.  Slides of various kinds look odd for such a small gun and don't protect your investment too much.

Some type of pancake will be popular for belt carry, I would think.  Thumb-break will be likely -- hard to retain a small gun without it.

I think R-9s, because of the price and the audience, will be more often seen in exotic leathers, although practical holsters will abound as this is definitely a practical, "unseen in the best places", type of gun.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 04:12:59 PM »
I agree with DDGator that the Rohrbaugh is ideal for pocket carry, and I would imagine that most of its owners will elect to use that method.  However, I am admittedly an enthusiastic member of what has been descriibed elsewhere on the Forum as the "Cult of Pocket Carry."  

Although I own some beautiful standard holsters (IWB, "tuckable," paddle, slide, clip, and even one of those controversial SOB rigs), my lifestyle makes it often impractical for me to use them.  I've been using various models of RJ's pocket holsters to carry a small semi-automatic pistol in my strong-side front pocket for so many years now that it has become second nature for me to do so.  When it becomes necessary to enter some place where weapons are not permitted, I've even become good at the slight-of-hand trick of removing the weapon and its holster from my pocket and getting them stored in the center console of my automobile without any of my passengers being aware of what I'm doing.    

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Boss_1965

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 05:03:57 PM »
I am a new R9 owner and I have been toying around with different methods of carry.  This almost HAS TO BE a pocket gun.  I still can't decide on whose holster to buy though.  I have been on Mr. Graham and Mr. Hedley's websites extensively and I am having trouble making my mind up as to a style.  I would love to hear opinion.  These may have been given on a previous thread, but I just joined you all today.
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise they won't come to yours."  Y.B.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 06:13:06 PM »
Not to confuse you boss, but Kevin from K&D Holsters is a member of this forum too -- see www.kdholsters.com.

All are GREAT choices -- you just gotta decide what you like.

Welcome to this forum.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 10:36:21 PM »
Welcome Boss ...   :) To the board - and R9 ownership!

Indeed, holster choice is - well ..... real individual IMO .. so hard to advice ... and as you have seen .... and will see ... there is an excellent set of choices, from many sources.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:01:32 PM »
Boss:

There are a at least three extraordinarly talented gunleather artists represented on this Forum.  Take the time.  Do the research.  Decide what is right for you.  (If you follow my tracks in the sand on this Forum, you will know which one of those artists has filled most of the holster section of my gun safe,)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Boss_1965

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 12:09:52 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I have been doing the research and that's how I got overloaded in the first place :P  I see which ones many of you are using.  The link to kdholsters was a new one for me to check out...Thanks Duane.
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise they won't come to yours."  Y.B.

Offline dkochan

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 01:17:54 PM »
I carry my Rohrbaugh R9 in a K&D Holsters Pocket Defender 2n1.  I find it works much better than an Uncle Mike's Size 3 pocket holster.