Author Topic: What Was Going on Here?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: What Was Going on Here?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »

I haven't cleaned out the queue in a couple months...  There are now over 2,000 pending membership requests.  All bots and spam.  I had to close the gates or we would have been over-run.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »
Wow 2000 bot request, is that a record or just a week in the life of a forum owner?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 12:41:51 PM »

It's pretty standard in the life of this forum...  Maybe we are really attractive to spammers and bots.  I don't know.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:59:10 PM »
So, this seems to be the only ongoing discussion on the board right now.

Is anyone at the SHOT show? 

If so, what is hot these days?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »
Duane usually goes and I think he went this year also. I asked him to let us know if he saw anything there that floats his boat among the tumbleweeds.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »

Hey guys,

I do normally go to SHOT Show.  In fact, I think I have only missed 2 of the last 20.

But this year, work and other obligations prevented me from going.  I feel bad about missing it, but I should be back next year.  I go on media credentials from the NRA / Shooting Illustrated.

I miss the years of rushing downstairs on day one to see what the Rohrbaugh brothers had to show me!

Duane (DDGator)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »
Duane - I hope that your wife is continuing to do better?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
Looks like one of the new flavors this year is the bolt action pistol with an arm brace.

Where were these guns when I tried silhouette shooting decades ago with a TC Contender.
(Yes, I remember the XP-100, which was out of my range.)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »
Looks like one of the new flavors this year is the bolt action pistol with an arm brace.

Where were these guns when I tried silhouette shooting decades ago with a TC Contender.
(Yes, I remember the XP-100, which was out of my range.)

Mike, I had to laugh when I saw this post.

Tried to shoot silhouette is exactly what I did, I tried and that was about it.

I also used a Contender and started out with a 10" 44 mag barrel with very little success.  I though maybe less recoil would help so I went to a 10" 357 Max barrel and the blast made everyone mad at me and I still had little success.  I dropped down to 357 mag loads in the same barrel and again was finishing in the bottom 1/3 of the competitors.

I even went to a 32-20 barrel for the chickens and that helped a little but I still was below the mean.  Scopes or iron sites, it made no difference.

I finally realized that no matter how big or how loud a gun I shot, the damn targets won't go down unless I hit them and I gave up.

Silhouette was somewhat popular at our club for a short while, but many like me found it beyond our skill level and it finally was dropped.  It did not help that the same guy won every match that I ever attended and it continued that way for several years.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »
I feel your pain MRC.

We had a short range and used smaller targets.  Not as formal as some.  Started with a .30-30 and eventually went to a 5.56mm, if I hit them, they went down.  Problem was hitting them and being a poor college student I had other (thought better -usually women) uses for the limited funds to go shooting and get good.  Then I found action pistol at another range and that seemed to be more fun.  Never got back into it.  Now I don't even know where in my area to go find a public range for it. 

It could get equipment expensive in a heartbeat.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
The pistol silhouette was probably the toughest of the games I tried, I just never got the hang of it.

A guy I worked with talked me into going to a rifle silhouette match in Nebraska once.  It was 40 rounds, all chickens at 200 yards off hand.  I was young then and had no idea what I was getting in to. 

We each had to shoot 4 relays of ten shots.  I had a stock 700 Remington 30-06 and used factory ammo. I think I only hit 5 or 6 but that put me in the upper half believe it or not.

After we got done I was so sore I could hardly get my rifle into the car.  Two of the better shooters came over and shook my hand.  They could not believe I finished the course with that gun and ammo.  They had guys shooting 7.08's quit before the end.