Author Topic: Gold Bead Front Sight?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
Gold Bead Front Sight?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
Has anyone tried this on an R9?

I've used gold beads for low light shooting very successfully, they do a great job picking up the least bit of available light and can be silver soldered in place so they won't loosen under the recoil of a tiny pistol.

Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Gold Bead Front Sight?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
Sure would like to see one done.

I would be interested.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline SandMan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »
+1
-- I asked the same thing in an earlier thread - it looks like the sight milling that others have had done would easily hold a gold bead instead of just paint;

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »
I've contacted a couple of places about the installation.  I think I'm going to do this.  I've had a lot of trigger time with firearms with a gold bead sight and they make a huge difference for me in less than ideal lighting conditions.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
Relic.  The gold bead does sound like a good idea; interested in seeing that, as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »
I'd love to have a small tritium sight on the front of my R9, wishful thinking I guess.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
I'd love to have a small tritium sight on the front of my R9, wishful thinking I guess.

Tritium would be nice, but those need to be removeable/replaceable as they fade after a time.  I fear that the sharp recoil of such a small pistol makes it unsuitable for tritium sights, unless the slide could be dovetailed.  But there's not much material there to machine a dovetail on the slide.  Just drilling and locktighting a tritium vial into the front sight would likely end up with a lost vial after a few rounds.  Locktight is good stuff, but it's not magic and I have my doubts about securing a tritium vial for any serious round counts.

That's why I'm going with a gold bead, it can be permanently installed with brazing/silver soldering.  A mouinting method which is obviously not suitable for a tritium vial.

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
I've had several calls from reputable smiths, including a favorite of the folks on this forum.  They all say the same.  They can't guaranty the bead will stay in place and it is an expensive part to keep losing.

The inertia of the R9s slide is something of a concern and I will take the advice of the experts and skip the bead.

:-[

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »
I too would like to use a gold bead. But there isn't much meat in that front sight.  Guess I stick with a dab of white airplane dope.  It gives me a decent sight picture and stays put for several months if I'm careful with the cleaning solvent.  That 1/2 ounce bottle will last for approximately 1 billion touch-ups. 8)

Offline rodell

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
Seems like a business opportunity for the brothers "R".  I'd pay for the upgrade ... or buy a new slide if I had to.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline kowski1911

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
the rohrbaugh factory is working on a nightsighted r9 as we speak, the problem with this and why there hasnt been one yet is the front portion of the r9 slide is only .050 thick and its to thin for a dove tail, and night sights only last 10 years so it has to removable.
kyle