Author Topic: Shooting low  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Shooting low
« on: May 20, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »
Well, this is odd -- I can shoot the pup fine, at least until my hand gets tired -- however, I've started putting my groups from both my 1911 and my XD quite low -- I just did my first match w. the XD, and I'm still getting used to the XS Big Dot sight I put on it (really nice sights, BTW -- haven't looked at them in the dark yet, but great to use in a match.) -- I kept cutting the dot in half w. the rear sight, rather than putting the dot on top of the sight -- which would have caused me to shoot a little low, but I was shooting quite low, but my groups were fine??? (once I slowed down, and stopped closing my right eye.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Shooting low
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
It sounds like as you are getting tired -- you may be anticipating the recoil.  For a right-handed shooter, shooting low and to the left is indicative of the effects on trigger control when the shooter anticipates the recoil and subconciously ever so slightly tries to compensate.  But then, you most likely already are aware of this from prior shooting instruction.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:17:47 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »
See, that's why I'm confused, I'm dead on horiziontally, but low...unless my new sights are just really far to the left...  I guess I could just start aiming for the heads, and actually hit the chest -- might even stop putting my groups in the heads of the "friendlies" that way.  I'm off to a great start in my IDPA career -- so far, no hostage has survived...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:27:45 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
Try an HK P7 with stock sights...  So far for me, all the BGs have taken a bullet in the eye or nose socket, while the baby survived unscathed.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...