Author Topic: Richard, No cursing and swearing allowed here  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Richard, No cursing and swearing allowed here
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:31:30 AM »
I thought Richard would enjoy seeing this again.  I memorized this during my military experience.

General Washington's Orders

The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:32:49 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Richard, No cursing and swearing allowed here
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 07:02:13 PM »
And the General's Orders live on today:

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
HEADQUARTERS, FORT HOOD
FORT HOOD, TEXAS  76544-5000

COMMAND POLICY
NUMBER
SJA-04

AFZF-JA 26 January 2004

MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION

SUBJECT:  Use of Indecent and Offensive Language  

4.  POLICY.

a.  General Guidelines Regarding Offensive Language in Public Places.  Public use of indecent and offensive language by soldiers and civilians on Fort Hood is not only in bad taste but disrespectful to all members of the community and its visitors.  While private conversations remain the personal business of those involved, conduct in public places has a direct impact on the quality of life, good order and discipline, and the community.  These standards apply to all soldiers and civilians on Fort Hood.  Everyone should assist in policing the use of indecent language on the installation.

(1)             Actions Against Soldiers.  Profanity and other types of offensive language may often be considered indecent, prejudicial to good order and discipline, discrediting to the Army, and, therefore, punishable under Article 134 of the UCMJ, Indecent Language.  Article 134 defines “indecent” language as that which “is grossly offensive to modesty, decency, or propriety, or shocks the moral sense, because of its vulgar, filthy, or disgusting nature, or its tendency to incite lustful thought.”  Normally, on-the-spot counseling and education is appropriate.  Leaders may also order soldiers to stop using offensive or inappropriate language in public.  Failure to abide by such an order is punishable under Article 92 of the UCMJ, Failure to Obey Order or Regulation.

HOOAH!   :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 07:04:46 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:12:54 AM »
It's taking more material these days.   :)

I've always recognized the elegance of the General's words.  Few people could have spoke so well about the use of coarse language.

It makes me want to read the Gettysburg Address once more, to enjoy seeing what is possible.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:21:28 AM »
Bill:

Here is more from the General:

George Washington, July 4, 1775, General Orders
George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799: Series 3g Varick
Transcripts.
Head Quarters, Cambridge, July 4, 1775.
Parole Abington. Countersign Bedford.

The General most earnestly requires, and expects, a due observance of those articles of war, established for the government of the Army, which forbid profane cursing, swearing and drunkeness; and in like manner requires and expects, of all Officers, and Soldiers, not engaged on actual duty, a punctual attendance on divine Service, to implore the blessings of Heaven upon the means used for our safety and defence.

All Officers are required and expected to pay diligent attention to keep their Men neat and clean; to visit them often at their quarters, and inculcate upon them the necessity of cleanliness, as essential to their health and service.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:45:31 AM »
There was one final statement I had to memorize during military training.  Each time a rude executive was encountered during civilian life, I always thought of this.........

The discipline which makes the soldiers of a free country reliable in battle is not to be gained by harsh and tyrannical treatment. On the contrary, such treatment is far more likely to destroy than to make an Army. It is possible to impart instruction and to give commands in such a manner and such a tone of voice to inspire in the soldier no feeling but an intense desire to obey, while the opposite manner and tone of voice cannot fail to excite strong resentment and a desire to disobey. The one mode or the other of dealing with subordinates springs from a corresponding spirit in the breast of the commander. He who feels the respect which is due to others cannot fail to inspire in them regard for himself, while he who feels, and hence manifests, disrespect toward others, especially his inferiors, cannot fail to inspire hatred against himself.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »
Finally, I hope you know that my initial post was not to suggest that you or any of us had been swearing.

I knew about your military background, and wanted to enjoy these sayings with you, a good friend here on the forum.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »
Of course, Bill.  I knew what you intended.

And now, quite apart from the General's elegant Orders, an old "Mustang" Major (the recipient of a battlefield commission in the Korean War) once told me: "Cussing is a lot like artillery fire.  In order to be effective, it has to be used with precision at the right time and in the right place."    ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 03:15:44 PM »
Bill:

You've probably heard the promotional advertising, but the History Channel is broadcasting a program tonight on General Washington as a wartime leader.  I believe it begins at 9:00 p.m. EDST.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »
I sure did and will be watching it!  Thanks for the reminder.

Nice of you to think of it.

Bill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 05:18:06 PM »
and it was well worth watching!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »
and it was well worth watching!

I absolutely agree!  (That opinion is in no way influenced by virtue of my good fortune in being able to refer to the university named in his honor as my alma mater.)

One of "The General's" many admirable traits which was evident in the History Channel's presentation last night was his willingness to persevere in the face of repeated setbacks and flagging public support. Without General (later President) George Washington, we probably would have lost the Revolutionary War.  Without General (later President) Andrew Jackson, we probably would have lost the War of 1812. Without President Abraham Lincoln, we would probably have lost the Union in the Civil War.  Without President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and General (later President) Dwight David Eisenhower, we probably would have lost World War II.  Without President Ronald Wilson Reagan, we probably would have seen the "Cold War" escalate into World War III.

All of these leaders possessed the strength and courage to persevere in the face of repeated setbacks and flagging public support.

And so it is, I believe, with President George Walker Bush.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:09:13 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 09:36:23 PM »
....And so it is, I believe, with President George Walker Bush.  

Well said, Richard S.  I'm sure every generation thinks their leaders had the worst circumstances to deal with , but President G. W. Bush just really may.  He has to contend with the most fiercely partisan congress in 150 years, a 3rd world full of nuts trying to get nuclear weapons, a world on the threshold of a new energy economy, and so on.  

To those who think he stole the 2000 election, I usually ask "Would you really Al Gore or John Kerry running the show?  Pul-eeze!!"

Our country seems to get the right leaders at the right times.  We can all be proud "United States-ians".  (Not supposed to call ourselves "Americans" here in Michigan.  >:()
Steve

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:14:38 PM »
And I would add to that: Who would you rather have as
Commander-in-chief? Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, or
President George W. Bush?