Author Topic: Test Question  (Read 5086 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Test Question
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
You all may remember my Covert R9 had issues that required replacement of the frame (kindly provided by Karl at no expense to me).  On return to me, it fired flawlessly with Gold Dots and WWB.  I have VZ grips, but had not put them on after getting the pistol back from Karl.  Went to the range yesterday but put the VZ's back on.  After the first 4 rounds, the trigger wouldn't reset unless I pushed it forward with my other hand.  I took the right grip off (it was tight, with O-rings in place).  The spring was properly placed but I pushed it down a bit.  Tried again, same problem.
Question:  what do you do now?
(I know the answer-do you?)
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Test Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
Did you put the original grips back on and try it?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Yank the O-rings.  Jussst enough flex for a Fubar with THAT particular set of grips.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
All right. I'll try a long distance diagnosis to answer the test question.

I think the cutout for the sear trigger bar and spring of that particular VZ right grip panel is out of specification. I recall a post by "Yankee" reporting that the cutouts on the factory grips are sixty thousands of an inch deep. If the cutout of your particular VZ grip is slightly out of spec, it might cause the problem -- in which event, I am sure VZ would replace the grips for you.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
Z, Reinz and Richard S, you all got it, but Richard was closest.  The pistol worked fine with the original grips after I got it back from Karl.  At the range with the VZ's, after firing 3 or 4 rounds the spring would slip out of the small hole at the base of the grip at the back a very small amount (1mm perhaps), just enough to cause the problem.  Push it back, it works for 3 rounds.  Even happened with snap caps.  I put two very thin layers of tape on the inside of the grip just in the area to compress the spring into the hole and it works fine.  Now I'll have to find a more permanent solution since I can't trust the tape to last for long.  I don't know if the O rings have caused part of the problem, but with them in place and the grips cranked down pretty tight I can't really see or feel any looseness in the grip.  On the up side, at 5 yards I pretty well destroyed the perp target's nose and 10-ring.  Love the pistol but may have to re-think the grips.  Has VZ corrected the problem and would they stand by their product enough to replace the right grip as suggested by Richard?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
John:

VZ will make it good:

http://vzgrips.com/policy
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on this issue. This possibility occurred to me when I replaced my factory grips with VZ grips and "O" rings. I haven't been to the range yet but will try to go soon. The only problem I see with the VZ return/exchange policy is the 14 day requirement, which is too restrictive. Maybe they are flexible on the time frame.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:15:19 AM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
I remembered the answer that Richard posted when I answered.  However, I fiqured that issue had been corrected.  That is why I thought the O-Rings was just enough to throw it out of whack.

I also remember when all of this was brewing, it only seemed to be happening with Stealths and Red/Black grips.  I can't remember if it was G-10 or CF or both.
And we had all the discussions about frame dimensions being the same/different with the Stealth VS the Std.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »

This is a great example of the need for a functional firing check after a configuration change, even a minor one.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
As one of the original proponents for the "O" rings, I feel obliged to defend their reputation.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »

This is a great example of the need for a functional firing check after a configuration change, even a minor one.

Excellent point for sure!  I actually carried the pistol with the newly replaced VZ's but with the O rings for 2 months while in Florida.  When I next get to the range I'll remove the tape and the O rings and see if it functions without the problem.  If so, all you O rings users will need to re-evaluate your pistol's function if you haven't already done so.  Remember, it may take a few rounds to make it happen.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:04:56 AM »
Mr Murphy is always lurking.

One more reason to make that first shot count.  ( I speak for myself)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
Took the O rings off, removed the tape from inside the right side grip and went to the range.  Fired Lawman and Gold Dots.  Had no issues except after about 120 rounds of .45 through the 5" Ed Brown and then 30 from the R9 I had one failure to extract that I'm pretty sure was a limp wrist issue.  Fired another 2 mags from the R9 with more attention to grip with no issues.

CONCLUSION:  THE O-RINGS MADE A DIFFERENCE AND CREATED A PROBLEM WITH THE VZ GRIPS THAT ARE MARGINAL IN TOLERANCE.

I had emailed VZ and asked if they might replace the grip or fix it, but in good conscience, I'm not sure that I can hold them to it.  I think that I'll just epoxy a small strip of steel or aluminum into the grip to better compress the spring and continue to use the O-rings.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, please keep us aprised of the testing.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »

Thanks for the update.