Author Topic: Ordered a R380 today  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Bob79

Ordered a R380 today
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:19 AM »
I called Maria at Rohrbaugh the other day to ask a few questions about the new .380, and she referred me to Arego's Guns.  I did some checking around, and they seem like good people.  I called them and they had several two-tones in stock for $1,051 + shipping.  So I ordered one, and hopefully I should be able to pick it up in about a week or so.  

Currently I have 2 Seecamps both in .32acp, and a S&W J-frame .38 spl.  I carry a Seecamp though most of the time because it fits so easy in the pocket.  I can't seem to find an IWB holster for my J-frame I like, but maybe its just the bulky cylinder.  I have tried Kel Tecs, and have sold them due to problems with them.

I've fired a Kel Tec P11, and P3AT, and thought they both recoiled too much for me.  I used to have a Kahr PM9 a few years back, but had problems with it too.  And when the Rohbaugh 9mm first came out I thought it was priced too high, and didn't want to deal with the recoil.  But the new .380 is supposed to be real easy on the recoil side of the coin.  After looking at all the guns on the market, the R380 seemed to be the best fit for me.  I have grown older and wiser, and I'd rather spend $400+ more on a gun that will work for me.

I plan to carry it IWB, and I also ordered a "bare asset" holster from High Noon holsters today as well.  I already have to carry my wallet, phone, keys, and eye drops in my pockets, and it would be nice to carry the gun IWB.  I tried to carry my Glock 26 IWB, and its just too heavy, and bulky for me.  So I'm really hoping the R380 at about 16 ozs loaded, and as thin/small as it is, it should be no problem.  I'm also really interested in those new Hogue Grips they offer, as I like Hogues on all my revolvers.  And I don't mind at all that its just a .380acp, I mean I'm carrying a .32acp most of the time now.  The biggest challenge will be just finding some damn ammo I think with this shortage going on.  I will have to stop in some local shops and pay top dollar I'm guessing, or maybe even Gander Mountain where I'll really get taken on the price.  

I'll post back once I get the gun, and take it to the range.  I will probably just use Militec 1 oil and grease on it, maybe CLP, not sure.  And I've already got some blue Loc Tite for the grip screws.  Good Night.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:30:53 AM by Bob79 »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Ordered a R380 today
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
Bob79.  Congratulations on ordering the Rohrbaugh 380.  I've also been using Militec 1 oil; seems to work fine.   :)    :)

Ken
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
if any one else wants one I still have some in stock.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Bob79

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 03:44:56 AM »
Went to a local gun shop today and bought the following...

1 50 rd box of Remington ball
1 50 rd box of PMC ball
1 20 rd box of Gold Dots

Grand total was $75! Ouch, but thats what it costs nowadays I guess.  Got an e-mail saying my High Noon IWB holster was being shipped too, so looks like things are moving along.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
Hope the .380 is more foregiving than 9MM. I am determined to use recommended high test 9MM for my Stealth and I can't find it. The concerns as to ammo posted in this forum are all too real.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
Arego's guns in Hot Springs was a fun shop to visit.  Unfortunately for me, I think they charge about $100 less if you just call.  I guess I should have called or been a better face to face negotiator.  

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
"$100 less if you just call". Do not understand. You say you visited Arego's and they charged you more for having visited their shop than if you had called them via phone?

This sounds crazy. I have never met Tom Watson, but he treats me great via email and phone. However, if I were to visit The Irish Guard, in Texas, I cannot imagine that Tom would not be correspondingly even friendlier than he has been despite the 2000 miles of geography that seperates us.

Tell me I am wrong, but I don't get this.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline M380

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
Congrats on the R380!!! I have one, and LOVE it!!!! Don't worry about recoil, it's a puppy dog compared to the R9, mine shot everything in it with no problems. I'm currently carrying Hornady Critical Defense rounds in it. ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
Bob79:

If I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum, I do so now.

I congratulate you on selecting the Rohrbaugh and hope you will post a range report.

For any of you out there contemplating one of the Rohrbaugh .380s, Tom Watson ("theirishguard") can handle all of the paperwork for you and ship the pistol to your local FFL. As "ACP" has indicated, Tom is an outstanding businessman and a true supporter of this Forum and its loyal members. He will treat you right.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
bob79, welcome to the forum, enjoy it here.  Tom

Offline Bob79

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  My High Noon IWB holster arrived today, and it looks like it will work fine.  I pick up the R380 Thursday later morning from my FFL.  

I also just bought some Hornady Critical Defense ammo after reading Mr Stephen Camp's good report on it.  Only thing was my local shop is REALLY price gouging on it.  They had it there when I bought my other ammo, and I wasn't sure about the Hornady so I didn't buy it at that time.  The first time it was about $25 a box, and today it was $30!  But what can you do?  I can't find it anywhere, and if I pay for it from an on-line auction I will surely pay just as much.  

I will post back with pics, and a range report when I get time.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
I went looking for ammo yesterday and found only 50 rounds (of 9MM) and no .380. This, after 5 different shops. And to think I was just at a gun show a month ago and was not aware of shortage until I found out on this forum.

I don't know if this situation is a function of political fear, hording, government's tacit attempt to decrease ammo, a combination of these events or all of them.

Had I been aware, I would have bought as much ammo as I could, (presuming it was available).

Best wishes with your .380 and please post results of your shoooting

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:44 AM »
I got in another K380 for a customer.  Tom

Offline Bob79

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »
Picked up my two-tone R380 today from my FFL dealer.  It is a well put together gun, and feels very "solid" in the hand.  I put it in the IWB High Noon "mister softy", and you can hardly tell it's there.  I like that I can get most of my second/ring finger on the grip of the gun.  The grips themselves are OK, they aren't slippery, but they don't exactly have a good grip either.  I ordered a Hogue Handall Jr slip-on style grip since I'm a fan of Hogue grips.  I'll try it out, and see how it goes.  

I measured the widest part of the gun at about 7/8 of an inch, which is really nice.  I plan on carrying it mostly IWB, but I have a pocket holster on order from Meco Pocket Holsters to carry that way when needed.  Hopefully I can get to the range soon, and if this gun works out I'll probably end up selling one, if not both of my Seecamp 32's.  

I noticed it's pretty easy to take apart, but you have to be really careful when putting it back together.  I had to try several times before I got it right.  If the recoil spring assembly is not sitting just right, the gun doesn't come together properly.  Overall I like the gun a lot so far.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »
Bob79.  Sounds like a good start!!   :)   :)  I'm a fan of Seecamp too, and have a .32.  I'd keep one at least, but that's just me.  

Good luck with the shooting!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:45:25 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln