Author Topic: American Handgunner Review  (Read 5298 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
American Handgunner Review
« on: July 25, 2004, 01:19:09 PM »
Got my copy (Sept/.Oct. 2004) on Saturday night at Barnes & Noble.

The R9s, with grey frame, is on the cover.  The article is by Roy Huntington and runs 8 pages with 13 pictures!

A few highlights.  Roy did an interview with Karl Rohrbaugh and has some quotes I haven't seen before.  There is even a pic of Karl and Eric's mom shooting the R-9 -- something they were really happy to have appear as a surprise to her.

Roy describes the R-9 as the "professional's choice" and quotes Karl as saying that the gun is clearly not for beginners--this is a gun experienced shooters "move up to" or aspire to.

Karl's background is in building custom hot rods and motorcyles.  He competed in unspecifiied pistol competitions.  When he decided to build this gun, it took 8 years of design work, much of which was based on the Browning Hi-Power design.  The original idea was for a .380 ACP, but after Seecamp released a .380, he set his sights on a 9mm platform.

The article says everything is made in-house except the (Woff) springs and the magazines.  I think Eric told me that they are trying to move the mag production in house.  The grips were also made elsewhere, but are moving in house.

Unlike Gun Test Magaine, they had no feeding problems except with truncated nose stuff.  They preferred Federal's 147 grain "tactical" police load and Speer's 124 grain Gold Dot.

Interestingly, there is a picture of an R-9s in one of Ron Graham's ostrich skin holsters.  Unfortunatley, they do not identify the model or the maker -- except by providing Ron's address and website at the end of the article.  

The article is worth it just for the Ichiro Nagata photography--including a 2-page "centerfold" type spread.

Nice review.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: American Handgunner Review
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:21:25 AM »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 04:35:02 PM »
 ???

Son of a gun!! Its still not in my neck of the woods..

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »
Son of a ,  what he meant.   No Magazine here either  :'(
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 06:06:38 PM »
Nor here.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 07:36:13 PM »
 Got my copy at "Books a Million" last Saturday.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:34:02 PM »
RJ:

It would appear that I am going to have to go on the Black Market to get our two copies around here.  One thing is certain -- I shall find our copies.  And then I am going to subscribe to AMERICAN HANDGUNNER.  I have been avoiding the subscription because I have not subscribed to any magazine since I returned from my three-year "walkabout" in Africa ten years ago (after two civil wars, one military coup, and assorted other confusion).  Stay tuned.  I am on the case.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline pale_horse

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 01:07:25 AM »
Richard..."I like you":)

American Handgunner got my holsters late..and literally had to "stop the press" to include even one picture.

Roy Huntington will be doing a follow up article on my holsters here..sometime in the near future.

I'd be interested on a "in country" de-brief..Africa..private email..all under the hat..of course..if you've a mind too.

If the Rohrbaugh R9 wasn't what I say it is..I wouldn't say it. Over 700 rds. of Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot (I get it cheap) later..not a hitch of any kind.

Best,
Ronbo

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 10:39:59 AM »
Ronbo:

I'll try to get an "in-country debrief" together and get it off to you by e-mail.  Give me a little time.  I'm running pretty much flat out these days.  It seems that, like you, I've taken on more work than   I should have done.  Breaking off now and then during the course of the day to check this Forum helps to keep my attitude adjusted.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 06:00:01 PM »
Richard_S

I found the AH magazine, and I AM SORRY TO SAY, but the search wasn't worth it.    :'(
RJ=

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 10:42:18 PM »
Hey RJ, can you have your secretary type that article up for us so you can post it here?  Thanks.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:06:41 PM »
RJ:

Wouldn't you know it, but my daily rounds of the magazine racks here in the mountains finally turned up the AH edition with the Rorhbaugh review.  You beat me to it.  Oh, well, I tried.  PM follows.

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"