Author Topic: Mag floorplate incident  (Read 3383 times)

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
Mag floorplate incident
« on: August 03, 2004, 09:24:51 AM »
I encountered an odd event with one of the 3 magazines I have for my R9s, and I'd like to know if anyone else has as well.

In an unpredictable fashion (sometimes it would happen, sometimes not), the floorplate would get pushed back (not forward) when firing.  Yep--back, not forward.  The front lip of the floorplate wound up about 1/16" back from the front edge of the mag body.  This made extracting the empty mag impossible until I forced the floorplate forward to its design position.  Only thing I can think of is that the crimp along the sides of the floorplate are not tight enough.

Any thoughts from any mag gurus out there?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Mag floorplate incident
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 09:46:39 AM »
 ".....the crimp along the sides of the floorplate are not tight enough".  Musician

Yes, I noticed the very slight crimp, as well.  
RJ=

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
Not a good photo ,but you can see..

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 12:11:59 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:50:07 AM »
Thanks, RJ.  Now if I can just figure out how to tighten down the crimp without bending anything else . . . .

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »
My Rohrbaugh mags both look like the picture, but haven't caused any problems at all so far.  Rather than trying to change the crimp yourself, I think it would be better to contact Eric and see what he has to say about it if you're concerned. I believe with the emphasis on quality that Rohrbaugh has always demonstrated that they'll be very interestd in making sure the crimp is correct, and if it is not in spec they will do whatever is needed to correct the situation.

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:53:28 PM »
Hey, 9mil--
     Thanks for the reality check.  I know you're right; I just have this knee-jerk reaction to things that don't work right which drives me to want to immediately try to fix 'em myself.  Besides, if I mess up the floorplate, I don't think Eric or Karl will want to replace it (I'm safe to guess that mashing the crimp in a vise would probably void any warranty!).

Musician

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 09:51:07 PM »
Interesting .... I'd have thought tho that the ''button'' under the load of mag spring would have prevented that - as it engages seemingly pretty well in base plate.  Or am I misinterpreting?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.