Author Topic: Ammo ?  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
Ammo ?
« on: July 18, 2004, 06:53:40 AM »
I normally use Winchester 147gr Supreme SXT with 990fps @ 320 ft. lbs. and Speer 124gr Gold Dot with 1150fps @ 364 ft. lbs.

Would both of these loads be alright to use in the R9S or do members recommend something else?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:54:19 AM by Fud »

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
Re: Ammo ?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 12:28:37 PM »
I'm using the standard pressure GD 115s. I believe either of your rounds would be fine although I would go with the lighter round.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 12:31:26 PM »
I've never liked subsonic ammo. I haven't started to carry the Rohrbaugh yet. I think I will carry RBCD in mine when I do.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »
For myself, I now lean toward the "big and slow" school of thought.  As a result, I'm carrying 147 gr. Remington Golden Sabers in my R9s.  

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 03:26:15 PM »
Back to the original question.  Has anyone TRIED the Win Ranger T SXT 147 in the R9?  

I'm about to purchase a case of it to carry in my PM9 and subsequently in my R9 (when it shows up in a few more months), but wanted to check to see if anyone has tried it yet.

I have a box here that I can send someone 14 rounds to try out.
(6+1 tests, 2X) just to get a feel for how this ammo works.

email me: dmobrien_2001@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 05:05:10 PM by dmobrien2001 »
- Dan

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 11:50:15 PM »
Not tried dm, no ... in fact had not even come across it.  I did some ammo tests a while ago - and plan a few more ... I am happy to evaluate this ammo if you wish, tho it may have to wait to be done until I am ready for several ..... case of setting aside time so as to do chrono tests and hopefully also, wet pack - on enough ammo to justify it fully.

The page with some info on is HERE in case you hadn't seen it.  This is all thru R9 .... tho in most cases strings are only 5 shot samples but - they do give some idea I think.

Some of that data was aquired during This test session
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline gunner930

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 04:01:37 AM »
 Hey R9S, being new to this forum I just got around to going through your pages of tests and results and found them to be extremely helpfull. Not being near an ammo expert or by far a match shooter, I gained alot from the info.
 I am going to try the gold dot 115s and hope to get the kind of results you did. Thanks for posting the info!
Gunner
 p.s. I also was once very disappointed in golden sabers exspansion during a real life encounter with a rabid racoon. Its a long comical (but not at the time) story but the basics are, golden sabers 45acp, 5 definate hits from about 12ft away, the first which should have been lethal. yikes! :o

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:29:11 AM »
Gunner - glad that stuff helped a bit ... oh and welcome - I don't think I have added my greetings thus far! :)

I am no ''expert'' either per se, but have reloaded for a quarter century and so maybe am a tad more ''into'' ammo etc.  One thing I do like tho is to share any info I can get or generate - delivered of course FWIW always but - certainly here I reckon we can usefully pool data to mutual benefit of all.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline HLG

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:12:09 PM »
I really like the Speer Gold Dot "Practice Ammo" sold by Ammoman. I use the 115 grain ammo and have shot over 500 rounds of it without any keyholeing or ftf or fte.  I recently ordered another 1000 rounds because I am using the regular 20 round boxes for carry, so the "practice ammo" is as close to the real thing as it gets.  I have not tried the 124 grain ammo that Musician had problems with.

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 04:13:17 PM »
Not tried dm, no ... in fact had not even come across it.  I did some ammo tests a while ago - and plan a few more ... I am happy to evaluate this ammo if you wish, tho it may have to wait to be done until I am ready for several .....

Shoot me some email per my address above and I'll send you some Ranger 147.  Thanks.

- Dan

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 09:09:32 PM »
My particular R9s (#128 ) LOVES 124 gr Gold Dot HPs.  It's the only premium defense brand I've tried which has been 100% reliable in feeding/extracting (not to mention accurate).  Other brands are just as lethal, but I feel the most confident carrying the 124gr GDs based on my experience with my own pistol.  Others may have other favorite foods for their R9's.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:10:13 PM by musician »

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 09:35:58 PM »
muscian:
R9SCarry has done some outstanding testing on different ammo including the 124gr GD.  I also feed my R9S 124gr GD.  R9SCarry prefers the 115gr GD but think he will agree that his tests showed the 115gr to be only marginally better.  Both demonstrated outstanding performance according to R9SCarry.  Do a search here for his full results

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 01:02:09 AM »
Is the Win Ranger T SXT 147  +P+?

I did a day of many tests with www.ammolab.com and found that decreased speeds caused most hollow points to act like expensive fmj in calibrated gel.  

Since the Walmart, Winchester White Box of 100, 115 fmj is fast and reliable; I keep going back to it.  I have found it to be my favorite ammo in every single one of my many 9mm pistols.  It is cheap, fast, reliable and ACCURATE.  

www.GoldenLoki.com has some useful ammo data for shorter barrels too.  
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 09:31:51 AM »
Hey, MurrayNevada--
     Speer GDs seem to be a most popular defense load for these guns.  The Rohrbaughs recommended them to my dealer as well. I know that in the American Handgunner article, Karl says he wanted the gun to perform with a broad range of high quality ammo, nevertheless it seems that the R9/R9s always works really well the the GDs.  If this is true in general with these guns (and I have no facts to support this speculation), I see nothing wrong with "the boys" at least recommending it for a carry load (Seacamp being a "one-ammo" gun did not diminish its popularity at all, e.g.).  My dealer prefers the 115gr GDs simply because of the slightly lesser recoil, but they work flawlessly as well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:33:13 AM by musician »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:42:47 AM »
"(Seacamp being a "one-ammo" gun did not diminish its popularity at all, ....."

I know of a person that was told by Larry Seecamp that *Gold Dots* were fine in the .32 cal SC.,    It is a length thing.
RJ=