Author Topic: good news    (Read 15337 times)

Offline ketap

Re: good news  
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »
Why cant the Rbros relay this info to owners?????

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »
Why cant the Rbros relay this info to owners?????

I'd have to agree.  Just put it all out on the table so we can all get a good whiff.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 12:00:20 PM by TXAGGIECHL »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 12:20:44 PM »
jaycee,

Ammo tailored specially for the R9,  very interesting.  I just wonder what a box of 50 would cost and am curious as to are the R bros going to want to get into the ammo shipping business to.

The R bros should be careful though.  If word gets around that the R9 has to have a "special" and of course expensive and hard to find ammo to function reliably then demand for the gun might drop off some.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »
One thing, which does not surprise me really - is that the gun has now ''matured'' and so feedback from problems and the experience of users has now enabled a reassessment of requirements, both with ammo and lube etc.  Something that is probably very hard to get right entirely from the get go when the first guns came out.

It may still be hard to achieve what could be called the ''definitive'' care/maintenance regime but, looks like we are getting close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike - re ammo - one thing I would be interested to know, if in fact this could be now definitive - is the optimal OAL and bullet profile the Bros R feel is optimal for the gun.  I did way back find out just how much OAL can vary and felt then that ''short'' rounds would possibly be more likely to produce feed hiccups.

I think tho providing the pup will still adequately accept FMJ inexpensive ammo for practice then a ''special'' for carry may not be too hard to take on board.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 12:27:49 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jaycee

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »
Hello Riffraff, regarding your two statements. I do not believe that the Bros.want to get into the ammo business. Case in point, about two months ago Larry Seecamp,owner of the well known Seecamp Co. purchased a whole batch of Fed.Hydra Shocks 90 GR. for his own company,and found out that the ammo was out of specs. He could not use the ammo and shortly had "A meeting of the minds" with the federal people,they accepted back the said ammo and re-configured their production of said ammo and peace ruled over the land, once more. Remember this 90.gr ammo was the top choice for the seecamp LWS 380 at that time.   This company has appoved and disapproved certain mfg.ammo based on inconsistencies in the manufacturing process . Like the Rohrbaugh the Seecamps are very ammo sensitive, both being with very close tolerances, so the slight shift in ammo specs,could cause a problem with  these guns. I  also tend to believe that the casings for certain type/brand ammo are not exclusively and soley manufactured by each ammo manufacturer for their own manufacturing use. There may be company XYZ manufacturing casing or parts of ammo for three different companies, so if there is a flaw in the ammo,three companies will be effected. I am not an ammo expert this is just my opinion,but I do not believe that I am incorrect in my statement. Your second statement,like the Seeecamps, the Rohrbaughs have their place with the fans that support each company, I myself own both guns and regardless of the cost of the ammo required by these guns, I will still own both of them. They are the best in my opinion relating to my specifc needs. :)

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 03:09:38 PM »
R9S Carry,

A recomended bullet profile and cartrige OAL from Rohrbaugh might be a little tricky.  For instance with the 3 loads that function perfectly in my R9's, two of them have long OAL's with a fat stubby bullet in them and the other has a very short OAL with truncated cone style bullet but is much more pointy than the usual truncated cone style.  It is very strange how these 3 loads, one very different from the other two work when legions of other loads will not.

jaycee,

I am with you on R9.  I like mine very much and the longer I have them the more I like them.  For me the R9 is the best conceiled carry gun on the planet.  The ergonomics of this gun are perfect.  Size, weight, shape, looks, caliber, trigger everything is perfect.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline jaycee

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
Riffraff, I second that emotion! ;)

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2006, 05:01:43 PM »
I'm willing to accept that some ammo can be out of spec and I know nothing about golden sabor, cor bon and so on.  But Speer GDHP out of spec?  I seriousely doubt it.  

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »
Hello Jarcher, good question, I was waiting for someone to pose this same question. Here is the answer (by the way,during our discussion,I told him that I will be taking notes about the discussion) . He told me that his personal findings concluded that as 9mm ammo,  the Gold Dots and the Remington Golden Sabers, did not come up to the actual specifications of a true 9mm ammunition. He went further to explain in technical   jargon the reason and I got lost in the technical jargon. Some weeks ago, he did mention to me that he had a meeting with a particular well known ammo manufacturer to come up  with ammunition that will be tailored(so to speak) to work with the R9 handgun.  I do hope that I have given you a good reply to your question. :)
 GEE! Wonder where that come from!? Its gettin harder and harder to bite my tongue!

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 09:46:09 PM »
Hello Riffraff, regarding your two statements. I do not believe that the Bros.want to get into the ammo business. Case in point, about two months ago Larry Seecamp,owner of the well known Seecamp Co. purchased a whole batch of Fed.Hydra Shocks 90 GR. for his own company,and found out that the ammo was out of specs. He could not use the ammo and shortly had "A meeting of the minds" with the federal people,they accepted back the said ammo and re-configured their production of said ammo and peace ruled over the land, once more. Remember this 90.gr ammo was the top choice for the seecamp LWS 380 at that time.   This company has appoved and disapproved certain mfg.ammo based on inconsistencies in the manufacturing process . Like the Rohrbaugh the Seecamps are very ammo sensitive, both being with very close tolerances, so the slight shift in ammo specs,could cause a problem with  these guns. I  also tend to believe that the casings for certain type/brand ammo are not exclusively and soley manufactured by each ammo manufacturer for their own manufacturing use. There may be company XYZ manufacturing casing or parts of ammo for three different companies, so if there is a flaw in the ammo,three companies will be effected. I am not an ammo expert this is just my opinion,but I do not believe that I am incorrect in my statement. Your second statement,like the Seeecamps, the Rohrbaughs have their place with the fans that support each company, I myself own both guns and regardless of the cost of the ammo required by these guns, I will still own both of them. They are the best in my opinion relating to my specifc needs. :)

Hello Jaycee, yes Seecamp had an issue with Federal ammunition, but it was in the 32 caliber. The 380 seems to be less ammo sensitive.
The LWS 32 was designed around the WW Silvertip round, but when the company changed the formula, case material, bullet, and non crimping, the LWS 32 did not respond well to the Silvertips anymore. The problem was the bullet would move inside the case, either from being dropped while in the factory carton, or while shooting.
Larry will often say that the ammo is probably the biggest cause of a firearm to malfunction.