Author Topic: 2nd Trip to Range  (Read 12193 times)

Offline RickP

• Expert
2nd Trip to Range
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:51:17 PM »
Just back from my second trip to the range, and couldn't be happier with the R9. Shot 84 rounds 115gr WWB without any problem at all. First target I shot 12 rds right handed and had a nice group in the 9 and 10 ring lower left of the X. Then switched hands and shot 6 rds 5 inside the 9 ring with 1 in the 8 ring. I don't know if that would be considered good, but I was happy with it! Put one target at 15 yds and got 12 of 12 on the target. The targets I'm using are 10.5" square. The rest of the time I experimented shooting single handed right and left, and practicing raising the gun, aiming and firing trying to be smooth and accurate. I am sure this stuff is old hat to you seasoned shooters out there, but it's brand new to me and I'm having a great time with it, and just had to tell someone. Thanks for listening.

Rick

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: 2nd Trip to Range
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
Its the next day and again, just got back from the range. Put another 62 rds through the R9 again no problems. When I talked to Maria she told me that the recoil springs were now good for 200 to 250 rds. I now have 206 rds on mine. When I cleaned the gun after my first 60 rds the recoil spring was about 1/8" shorter than new. When I cleaned the gun last night it was a good 1/4" shorter than new. The gun still works perfectly.

The reason I'm writing all this is that when I was waiting for my gun I read all these stories about poor reliability, gun stays locked in safe, and all that. Really had me worried. Well, my experience has been the complete opposite. Flawless operation, and a whole lot of fun to shoot. If anyone is trying to decide whether to purchase one of these jewels or not, I hope my experience helps you.

Rick

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
I completely agree with you.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 05:50:36 PM »
RickP, Great range report and good shooting. It has been said before, You don't hear from all the people who have not had problems.  The gun is supposed to work well. You do hear about any gun that does not perform as it is supposed to. Usually Very Loud and Clear. In my opinion Rohrbaugh produces the finest pocket 9 available and I am very happy with mine.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
RickP, again a good range report with a great pocket carry pistol.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:19:12 PM »
RickP:

Thank you for the outstanding range reports on what I consider to be the nec plus ultra of pocket pistols.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline mdfili

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:48 AM »
I had a different experience. I took my new R9 to the range and put about 60 rounds of standard UMC target ammunition through the gun. It had light strikes on at least 1 round per clip and many times two rounds per clip. It jammed four times with a live round sticking out of the breach. It could not be unjammed by one person! The anodized slide is being marked up by ejecting shells. I spoke to the company owner and he implied I may not be holding the gun properly!!! He did agree to look it over to make sure it was assembled properly!? He also agreed to refund my money if I was unhappy with the gun. He never said he could send me back a gun that I can rely on every round. I am certain that if I ever have to use this gun for its intended purpose as a defense weapon, whoever is trying to harm me will run for their lives when I inform them that the company owner assures me that the gun was put together properly, regardless of if it fires.

Anyway, I brought it back to my gunshop which is a very reliable company. They will be evaluating the gun and will get back to me.

These guns are obviously beautifully put together but have some engineering problems. If my cheap little Kel-Tec can fire on each trigger pull and never jam, so should a gun for 4 times the price. Other people are having trouble with these guns, it is not an isolated experience. They should correct the problem or sales will die.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
Not that it is the cause of the problem but I would not use
UMC ammo, especially in the R-9.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
Your choice of ammo may have something to do with the problem. Please try speer Gold Dot, Winchester Silver Tip or Federal in 115 and /or 124 gr bullets. I know it's hard but try not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Tom
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:33:45 PM by theirishguard »

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
I had a different experience. I took my new R9 to the range and put about 60 rounds of standard UMC target ammunition through the gun. It had light strikes on at least 1 round per clip and many times two rounds per clip. It jammed four times with a live round sticking out of the breach. It could not be unjammed by one person! The anodized slide is being marked up by ejecting shells. I spoke to the company owner and he implied I may not be holding the gun properly!!! He did agree to look it over to make sure it was assembled properly!? He also agreed to refund my money if I was unhappy with the gun. He never said he could send me back a gun that I can rely on every round. I am certain that if I ever have to use this gun for its intended purpose as a defense weapon, whoever is trying to harm me will run for their lives when I inform them that the company owner assures me that the gun was put together properly, regardless of if it fires.

Anyway, I brought it back to my gunshop which is a very reliable company. They will be evaluating the gun and will get back to me.

These guns are obviously beautifully put together but have some engineering problems. If my cheap little Kel-Tec can fire on each trigger pull and never jam, so should a gun for 4 times the price. Other people are having trouble with these guns, it is not an isolated experience. They should correct the problem or sales will die.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I use 115gr WWB at the range, about 360 rounds now, and my gun just works. As a new shooter the guys on this forum advised me to keep a firm grip, and to be careful not to limp-wrist. No, I'm not saying that that applies to you, but I understand that has been a problem for some.

My suggestion would be to give the gun a good cleaning and lube, grab some WWB and head back to the range being mindful that these guns have been sensitive to grip in the past. If that dosen't do it, I'm sure the factory will make it right.

Rick

Offline mdfili

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:31:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies. However....I have never had a problem with UMC ammunition. I have shot hundreds of rounds through multiple guns, including my Sig and Kahr 9mms with no trouble.

A reliable defense weapon for two to three times the going price of other quality guns should not be so finicky. This type of carry weapon has to perform under conditions of life or death. If this was a target pistol, it wouldn't matter.

A brand new, never shot before gun is not malfunctioning because it needs to be cleaned. The gun comes well lubricated from the factory. It is vsibly well lubricated. The gun is simply not functional.

Its tight tolerences suggest to me there are design flaws rather than defective assembly. There is nothing to adjust. The gun is assembled correctly. It is just a bad design. I understand everyone's affection for this gun. I loved it too, until I shot it. You can't point a gun at an attacker on the mean streets of Miami and have it jam or misfire.

Offline mdfili

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:55 PM »
In fact, my son and I shot exactly 350 rounds uf UMC 9mm ammunition that day through my 3 9mm pistols. Only the Rohrbaugh had a problem. You can't help but hold this gun firmly with the bite or kick it has.

Anyway, under stress fire you can't be thinking about how firmly you are holding a gun. You should just have to point and shoot. The jams we had could not be cleared by one person!!! Lastly, this is the only modern gun I have seen with warnings against +P ammunition. After shooting it with target loads, I can see why.

If I get this gun back and it performs as it should, I will be pleasantly surprised. For now I will rely on my trusty Kahr. It is not as pretty but is a pleasure to shoot and fires every time. No jams after at least 300 rounds of UMC target loads. She is not as pretty, but is always willing.

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »
mdfili-

No disrespect intended.

I respectfully recommend that you send the gun back to Rohrbaugh and request a refund.  I simply cannot see that you will be happy with it.  If its made reliable which often is a simple choice of ammo, you will still probably say that it kicks hard and costs 3 times what another 9 mm does.

You knew the cost at purchase time.  I guess with your expertise you would have surmised more kick than a regular 9mm.  This is not a target gun, it is a self defense gun.  

Many have made ammunition recommendations.  If you choose to use them, your R9 will be reliable.

I hope you get a resolution but sometimes you have to cut your losses and get what you want.

Regards

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
Ditto  Tom

Offline mdfili

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
I sensed no element of disrespect. This about a pistol and pistol manufacturer. It is not personal for me.

Such a small 9mm is bound to have some bite or kick. That is not an issue for a true defense weapon. Once such a weapon is found to be reliable, there is no reason to shoot it repetitively at the range. If it saves your life, the kick is meaningless. My Kel-Tec bites like a weasel, but fires every time.

I payed the extra price because the weapon seemed to be well engineered and was presented as a high end carry weapon. In my opinion, this type of weapon should be the most reliable. If you have to search for and trial ammunition that it doesn't misfire and jam with, it is simply a poorly engineered weapon that one should not rely on under life and death conditions. Perhaps a 9mm load is just too powerful for such a small frame/mass.

My last few days of research and discussion with true experts reveal that these guns are in fact well known for their poor design and poor reliability. A local expert actually gave his away because it was so bad.

I think you may be right. I may not be happy with it if I can't trust it. However, if they fix it and it is flawless like my Kahr, I would be happy to keep it. I just don't think the gun's design will allow for that.

A local friend and stress fire expert (that gave away his Rohrbaugh) just gave me the gift of a brand new Seecamp 380. I am anxious to fire it. It is obviously not a 9mm, but is an adequate substitute for the Rohrbaugh while I wait.

Please don't misunderstand me, I appreciate all the feedback I have received. I just feel that a defense weapon should be as close to 100% reliable as possible. Regardless I will try the R9 again and will try the ammunition recommended.