Author Topic: Color Case Hardened Colt  (Read 4603 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Color Case Hardened Colt
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Thought I would buy myself a Christmas present.

This started out as a Wiley Clapp Government model and then the frame and slide were color case hardened and I added the ivory grips.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:57:37 PM by MRC »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Color Case Hardened Colt
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »
I think that the color case hardened look is stunning. It changes the entire look of the Colt. Nice job. The white grips provide a very nice change of color and texture. I think that that is what color case hardened guns need, so you do not take away from the beautiful finish. Enjoy that beauty!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
Thanks Norm, the pictures really don't do it justice.  The colors really pop in bright, but not direct sun shine but do not show up in pictures without the flash. 

If I knew what I was doing with a camera it would be better also.   :)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »
I can only come up with one word to describe this one:   Beautiful

Nice job.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:25 PM »
Very nice.

Did you have the work done yourself?  If so where, as I might be interested in checking out the process for one of my 1911s.

I've look at purchasing them already finished from places like Republic Forge, Turnbull and others.
https://republicforge.com/welcome
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun/turnbull-government-heritage-model-1911-turnbull-manufacturing/
http://www.volkmannprecision.com/main/gallery.html

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
No, I bought the pistol already done.  The case hardening was done by a Gunsmith in New York that is retired from Turnbull's after 30 years.

It is hard to find someone to CCH slides as they can warp.

I will PM you some info.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
That is a beautiful handgun!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 05:35:46 PM »
Lots great would be stunning with mammoth ivory grips. More color tones to the grips

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
Lots great would be stunning with mammoth ivory grips. More color tones to the grips

Mammoth ivory would look good also.  I happened to have these ivory grips on hand.  I bought a few sets a couple of years ago from Nutmeg Sports before the ivory ban.  They have some neat looking Giraffe Bone grips now to replace the ivory.

Added later - The ivory grips are not as white as the picture shows.  To high light the CCH I used a flash which washes out the grips. (Cheap equipment and low skill level)  :(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:52:01 PM by MRC »

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »

Mammoth ivory would look good also.  I happened to have these ivory grips on hand.  I bought a few sets a couple of years ago from Nutmeg Sports before the ivory ban.  They have some neat looking Giraffe Bone grips now to replace the ivory.

Added later - The ivory grips are not as white as the picture shows.  To high light the CCH I used a flash which washes out the grips. (Cheap equipment and low skill level)  :(
🤓👍