Author Topic: Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum  (Read 3493 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
My wife is no longer comfortable firing her lightweight S&W .38, primarily used as a bedside gun...arthritis wrists and hands.  I bought her the Ruger and various .32 offerings that it will fire. 
The 327 magnum is a darned impressive round, with recoil about what I expected from the S&W .38 +P but with better results on tissue according to the publications extant.  With HR .32 magnum it is a pleasure to shoot, and with S&W .32 long recoil is barely noticeable.  The pistol holds 6 rounds, and from 7 yard, fast point and shoot fire from a little above nipple hight there was one on the X, two in the 10, one in the 9, one in the 8 and two flyers in the 7 ring.  This would not be a bad carry piece for anyone that likes revolvers, has 6 rounds and an impressive array of possible ammo to shoot depending on physical needs.  Ammo is harder to get, but available on line, and expensive.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
I agree with you, John; that caliber in the Ruger has a lot going for it. The ammo price and availability can be a problem just like the .357 Sig.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »

That would appear to be a very respectable defensive revolver for someone in your situation.  Great idea!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:07 AM »
 I kinda have an array of choices to choose from when I carry,like most of you.
    I bought a Ruger LCR in 9mm. about a year ago.Had some issues at first,but sent it back and they took care of it right away.
       I'll just say this,like the R9,such a comfortable gun to carry.Period.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
I've been carrying the S&W version of the 32 H&R mag for 2+ years now and am VERY comfortable with
the accuracy, lack of recoil, and penetration of the round.  Especially Buffalo Bore 130gr. +P.  Their claim
is 2-2.5 ft. of flesh and bone.  After seeing what it does to a 6x6 at 50ft., i wouldn't doubt it.  I use the
MUCH less expensive .32 short, long or .32 Wad cutters for practice. Ruger also makes a 101 revolver for
that caliber as well as a .327 capable 101.  I'm pretty sure they cylinder is just bored out another 1/8th to
accept the longer cartridge.  Marlin makes a great lever gun for the .32H&R mag, too. 
My only issues with the .327 are recoil and just the shear volume.  Got to be one of the loudest calibers available.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »
The noise issue with the 327 Magnum, the 357 Sig, and the 357 Magnum will damage one's unprotected hearing. For that reason these calibers may not be suitable for concealed or open carry.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:00:31 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
Agree.  The one I bought for my wife is a bedside gun, to be loaded with S&W .32 Long or perhaps the HR32 magnum depending on how she does with each at the range.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis