Author Topic: Problem with R9 COVERT coating  (Read 6852 times)

Offline jimw

Problem with R9 COVERT coating
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
I recently purchased a R9 COVERT. This gun had been tuned and coated by Wilson. After firing three mags, the finish is worn through on the top of the barrel where it rubs on the slide. I think it looks terrible. I've been thinking of polishing off the Wilson coating on the barrel where it shows through the slide so that it is at least a uniform stainless steel appearance similar to the R9S. What do you think? I think it was a bad idea to coat this area with this finish. I see that Lchavezmisc had a similar blemish as shown in his photo posted April 27, 2011. Suggestions?

Offline dano

• Expert
Re: Problem with R9 COVERT coating
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
That sounds like a good idea to me. I would probably polish the whole barrel while I was at it. Do you have any pictures of the problem area?

Dano
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
I have owned 4 WC over the years. All without the Armor-Tuff finish on the barrel.

I think it would be wise to have a silver finished barrel.
it is wear and tear. If you get it refinished with the Armor-Tuff, it will happen again. If you polish it, you will not experience this same issue.

Just my two cents.

Offline jimw

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
I have a photo which I took with my smart phone and forwarded to Arego and Wilson but I don't know how to include it here. Incidentally, the distributer, Arego, and Wilson said this was normal wear and Wilson says it also happens on 1911s. I still think it looks like hell and almost makes me reluctant to show my R9 to anyone. Ideally, I think Arego or Wilson should offer to remove the rest of the coating on this area of the barrel though I think I could do it with a rubber polishing wheel without affecting the function of the mechanism and that would certainly be less hastle than sending it in for remediation. As I mentioned above, the photo posted by Lchavezmisc on April 27 shows the same damage on his R9 covert.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
Jim.  I do agree with dano and Z, it would be best to have the silver finished barrel, and it sounds like you know how to go about doing this.  As Z pointed out, this wouldn't happen again if the barrel was silver (polished stainless).  Wishing you the best in correcting this issue.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:46:24 AM »
You can always try brake fluid. It is very harsh to finishes. It however would not remove any metal that a polishing wheel or brush would.

Just a thought?

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »
You can always try brake fluid. It is very harsh to finishes. It however would not remove any metal that a polishing wheel or brush would.

Just a thought?

It sure removed the factory paint from my fender under the hood of my MGB.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

It sure removed the factory paint from my fender under the hood of my MGB.

The brake fluid will certainly do that especially if you spill some or if the gasket goes bad and it leaks some on the fender well or touches anything with paint.    :(
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln