Author Topic: holster recommendation  (Read 1475 times)

Offline mjt

holster recommendation
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:45:43 AM »
The best front pocket holster I have found so far for an R9s is the one RJ makes that is somewhat curved...really nice.  However, with my typical clothing and build it still tends to show a pistol grip through my pants and print too much for my peace of mind.  I have heard that this can vary from person to person, so some people may not experience this.  I really like the R9s too!  Any suggestions?  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: holster recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »
Try carrying one of RJ's so-called "Back Pocket" holsters in the front pocket.  Several of us around here carry that way on a regular basis.  The full counterprint panel prints, if at all, as a wallet or address book and provides excellent concealment for a pocket pistol.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:19:26 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »
Richard's suggestion is a very good one.  I wish more holster makers would make front pocket holsters with anti-print panels.

The most important thing for keeping a pocket holster concealed is selection of the pants.

I find that most "classic fit" pants don't work well.  "Relaxed fit" is better.  The looser fit works wonders in reducing printing.  One of the few exceptions is some Eddie Bauer pants I bought recently.  The relaxed fit was more "rapper fit", but the classic fit was loose enough for good concealment.

If you buy your pants so that you have an extra inch or two in the waistband, this not only helps for IWB carry, but also for pocket holsters and even ankle holsters because your pants won't ride up as high when you sit.

Darker colors seem to work best.

I can hide a Glock 26 in the pockets of the right pants but can't hide a Kel-Tec P-32 in the pockets of the wrong pants.

Also, keep in mind that most people don't notice bulges in pants pockets.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 05:28:57 PM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »
I would be remiss not to point out that Kevin at K&D Holsters (one of our forum sponsors) makes a 2-in-1 Convertible pocket holster with a snap-off anti-print panel.  You can have the panel on when it suits you and off when you don't.

www.kdholsters.com

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 03:12:13 PM »
Sorry, Duane.  I should have mentioned that.   :-[
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
Not a problem, Richard -- just wanted to offer another option.  RJ's stuff will more than fill the bill, and he is a long time member of the forum.

Heck, many people buy one of each style too.  Just depends what you want and how much you want to spend!  ;)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com