Author Topic: Problem after first range session  (Read 7944 times)

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
Problem after first range session
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
Well, I finally made it out to the range with my "new to me" R9 and everything went great at first. I tried out some 124 grain Gold Dots, 135 grain Hydra-Shoks and 115 grain Hornaday CD. It ate up everything without a glitch! The recoil was a lot more manageable than I had expected although I could see how checkering the front and back straps would help me with my grip. At that point I was convinced that the R9 was the best EDC on the market! When I got home to clean it my heart sank. I found a small crack in the slide on the rear left corner. I know it wasn't there before my range session because I inspected it thoroughly yesterday. So I'll be sending it back for repair. I haven't given up, I just hate to be without it so soon after purchasing it. I've never had to send a firearm back to the factory for repair so does anyone have any advice for me?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Problem after first range session
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Giraffes.  Sorry to hear of your problem with the slide.  Call Maria, Tuesday morning, and she can give you the details on what to do and how to do it and don't worry as Rohrbaugh will repair your R9.  

Again, sorry to hear of the slide issue, however, the problem will be resolved.  I know it's a bummer having that happen so soon after getting the R9.  I had a similar incident with a .380 Seecamp in the first firing session.  All was repaired and everything is now fine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:59:18 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

No advice but you're doing the right thing. The same thing happened to me on an older model after 200 rounds or so in the same place as yours. The factory replaced the slide and it has functioned flawlessly since the return. Even though there was no choice the only thing that bothered me was that I sent them a Farmingdale and received a Deer Park. However, the only reason I bought the R9 was for defensive, not investment, purposes.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to hear that they are good about taking care of their customers. I think I remember reading that some of the earlier units had issues with the slides but has there been any issues with the frames that I should keep an eye out for? I've got R813 from Deer Park so I'm not sure if that's considered an earlier pistol.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »
That S/N is about 70 numbers higher than mine. It is possible that yours is the same run of bar stock that was associated with slide cracks. The best part about it is that you should receive the internal upgrades which, in my opinion, are an improvement in functionality. The factory can explain those in detail to you; in my case they just did it and sent it back. If their power is still out from Irene you may want to wait to send it but Maria can update you on the situation.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:52:13 PM by tracker »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Giraffes very sorry to hear about the slide but on the up side when you get it back it will be like new. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
Well, I feel a lot better today after talking to Maria. I told her what happened and she sent me some shipping instructions. She said that they would make the repairs even though I am not the original owner and have not paid to have the warranty transferred into my name. Top notch customer service!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »

Thanks for the info. I wondered about that point.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
Well, I feel a lot better today after talking to Maria. I told her what happened and she sent me some shipping instructions. She said that they would make the repairs even though I am not the original owner and have not paid to have the warranty transferred into my name. Top notch customer service!

Giraffes.  I felt sure Rohrbaugh would take care of your slide problem as they are excellent folks to deal with.  Glad you feel better about the situation.  Shouldn't take long for you to get the R9 back.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
Tracker, Maria said that they will transfer the lifetime warranty to subsequent owners for $150 in case they need repair but the cracked slide is something they would take care of regardless of warranty. I think thats a great way to assure people looking at used Rohrbaughs.

KJ, thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to get it back and finish the shakedown I started. Even with this small hiccup, I think I made the right choice. Now if I could only find a great deal on an Elite for a little variety!

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
So here's an update. Since my pup has been back to the factory for the cracked slide for a few weeks, I thought I would call and check on the progress. I spoke to Maria and she said that they just received a shipment of slides from their supplier and were preforming quality control tests. Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought they machined all the parts themselves. I'm not complaining, I just thought most everything was produced in house. I'm hoping to get it back within the next week or so.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

Thanks for the update. No doubt it will work out to your satisfaction.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
So here's an update. Since my pup has been back to the factory for the cracked slide for a few weeks, I thought I would call and check on the progress. I spoke to Maria and she said that they just received a shipment of slides from their supplier and were preforming quality control tests. Maybe I was mistaken, but I thought they machined all the parts themselves. I'm not complaining, I just thought most everything was produced in house. I'm hoping to get it back within the next week or so.

Giraffes.  Thanks for the update, too!  Do hope you get the pup back soon!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:01:56 AM »
Giraffes, You should have it back soon and that is good news. :D

There was some discussion on the slides be made in house or not and here is what Duane said.

Re: Why Is The Rohrbaugh Still So Rare?  
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21st, 2010, 2:29pm »        Quote  Modify
I don't think any of the info is inconsistent, there may just be a misunderstanding in what was conveyed.

Just to be sure that the brothers didn't sell the operation to the Chinese in the dark of night, I spoke with Eric today.

Richard's list of outsourced parts and services is 100% correct.  Slides and frames are still produced in house on Rohrbaugh's CNC machines -- the same ones I photographed for the factory tour of the Farmingdale location.  Slides and frames are sent out to a third party for the heat treat and application of finishes.  It doesnt matter if its a Stealth model or not -- all slides are heat treated.

Of course, the slides and frames come back to Rohrbaugh for hand fitting and finishing, then on to final assembly, inspection, test firing, cleaning and packaging.

Maria's comments about slides and frames can relate only to the third party heat treat and finishes.   There is no other explanation, and any info to the contrary is somehow being poorly communicated or poorly understood.  This is straight from the horse's mouth -- and consistent with everything I have ever seen or been told about the Rohrbaugh operations.

I hope we can put these concerns to rest and get back to the OP's actual question.

Thanks.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
Good reminder, John.  Thanks!    :)