Author Topic: Compensated 10MM and handload ?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Compensated 10MM and handload ?
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:15:55 AM »
Why wouldn't these be good for self-defense -- barring the light trigger pull -- only familiar w. them on paper -- but a gun designed to be shot at a high rate of fire, w. rapid target acquisition, and quick recovery would seem to be ideal -- am I missing something.

Also, why is a handload considered less reliable than a factory load?

Thanks for any thoughts.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline logical

• Expert
Re: Compensated 10MM and handload ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 11:18:01 AM »
A 10mm is just fine for self defense...probably as good as anything out there, compensated or not....the issue I think is the gun size it takes to fire the round.  It's a big gun.

Also, why is a handload considered less reliable than a factory load?

The same reason a home-built aircraft is not considered the same as one built by an aircraft manufacturer.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »
I'm sorry, by compensated 10MM I was referring to the... IPSC?... limited class guns?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:43 PM »
Aglifter, The recoil on the 10mm is strong. If I was shooting IPSC today, I would go with the .38super. It shoots and cycles fast without a lot of muzzle flip,especially with a comp.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:57:43 AM »
The 10mm is a fantastic round - actually my preferred self defense round although I am NOT a caliber-nazi! - they all work! I have many of the 10mm's -one of my favorite being a Dan Wesson Patriot Commander and I find it no problem to shoot. In fact, proving that caliber, gun, and configuration all have an effect on felt recoil, on any given day I could easily shoot 500 rounds through any of my 10's as opposed to anywhere near that much through my R9!

A couple of possible problems with porting in a defense gun are increased muzzle flash, blast, noise and the possibiity of a close quarters 'blow-torch' problem - the flash through the ports can be very dangerous - burning a hole through skin, eyes, etc.

I just acquired a Springfield Omega 6" ported longslide in 10mm that I haven't yet shot - I'm interested myself how much the porting and longer slide affect the recoil- I'll post a range report here when I get a chance to shoot it - more Double taps are on their way!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 05:18:54 PM »
I got out to the range yesterday and had a chance to shoot the Omega, among others as well. The Omega handles like a puppy - soft shooting and little, or a at least, a lot less, muzzle rise. The porting does make a difference along with the added weight and balance of a longer barrel and slide. Of course that being said, I have many other 10mm's and I don't have any issues with recoil, muzzle rise, etc. In fact, I don't notice much difference between a 45 acp and 10mm anyway.

I also shot my S&W 610 - a 10mm revolver with a 3" barrel and it handled like a dream. Soft shooting, little muzzle rise, and the sweetest trigger I've ever had on a revolver - just beautiful! I can't imagine anyone having issues with recoil on this gun. There has really been far too much adverse, and mistaken, publicity in regards to the 10mm recoil. If you can handle a 40 or 45, or an R9 - you can handle the 10mm - with ease!

This is the 610 -

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 05:20:04 PM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor