Author Topic: On the Range with other guns  (Read 6608 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
On the Range with other guns
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
As mentioned in my R9 range report, I wanted to report on a couple others.  I had written before about the purchase of the Beretta Bobcat 21A.  Today was the first day shooting it.  I only used cheap Winchester bulk pack ammo.  I had several fail to feed issues.  Lubed the gun with some spray and it did a little better but never did perform well enough for me to consider it dependable enough for carry.  I shot probably 100 rounds.  Next time I’ll take some CCI Stingers and see how they do.  It was fun to shoot and decently accurate.  The trigger was horrendous, but keep in mind I was also shooting the Pup, a worked G27 and a Springfield XD 45, so any trigger would have seemed bad after that.  For the G27, as always, it was accurate and functioned flawlessly.  I shot 100 rounds of Magtech 180g ball.  I had not shot the Springfield XD 45 for quite some time and had recently installed Tritium Day Glow sights.  Now I’m a pretty decent shot normally, but this gun shot consistently three inches low and two inches to the left of aim.  I may tinker on the sights a little.  Shot 150 rounds though it, 100 rounds of WWB and 50 Georgia Arms factory reloads.  In retrospect, I should have shot the 30 rounds of Federal Hydra Shocks to test their accuracy.  I was shooting at ~30 feet.  I know it wasn’t me because with the G27 I was hitting flies from the same distance  ;)  Another fun gun I took out today was the Ruger MK III Hunter.  It is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate.  I have this neat reloader I got for ~$25 and the only problem with it is that it reloads the magazines so quickly that ya end up running out of ammo, even the 500 round value packs.  It’s quite a neat design, pour in loose ammo, shake it around, jab the magazine into the chute and presto, 10 rounds loaded quicker than you could do one by hand.  A must have for anyone shooting a MK anything or a 22/45.  I hear it works on some others as well.  Also on this day I plinked with a stainless/synthetic 10/22 with Ram Line 30rd Side by side magazines.  This gun will shoot them magazines as quickly as you can pull the trigger and then ask for more.  Loads of inexpensive fun.  Also put a few rounds though a new Remington 870 that I plan to put a pistol grip on.  Overall, it was a wonderful day at the range!  

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:36:03 PM by AmmoToad »
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: On the Range with other guns
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »

Toad,
Thanks for the report; as mentioned previously, my gunsmith polished the feed ramp on the Beretta Bobcat and it functioned flawlessly out of the box. As you know this polishing can be done by any one and I suspect yours may benefit from a little smoothing. I really like this Beretta.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
Toad.  Good looking group, and thanks for the range report.  I may look into that Ruger MK III Hunter; I like hearing the pleasure to shoot and accurate.  Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
Tracker, good advice on the Beretta, mine definitely needs some attention in the ramp area.  I suspect, just as you said, that would solve any concerns.  KJ, I have had a Ruger 22/45 for quite some time, since the 1996 timeframe and love the way it shoots, very accurate as well.  I recently, about 6 months ago, got the MK III, couldn’t resist the stainless look with the fluted barrel.  I’ve put well over 1,000 rounds through this jewel with zero malfunctions.  It is extremely accurate.  The magazine loader is a must have.  I got mine through Cheaper Than Dirt.  I was skeptical at first, but then my Dad called from Ohio and said he saw a guy using one and talked about how well it worked.  I have to say, it is everything it’s supposed to be.  It’s called the Ultimate Cliploader, make in the USA and fits Ruger MK and 22/45, and Browning Buckmark Pistols.  Quite a neat device.   Hopefully next weekend I can take some of my other guns out for a workout.  Every time I go shoot, I plan to take the R9 and see just how many rounds of different stuff I can put through it without a problem.  So far it hasn’t complained a bit.  I want another one just because.  Would you believe I don’t own a 1911…but those Kimber Ultras are looking mighty nice.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
Toad.  I do like the stainless in the Ruger Hunter and the fluted barrel; that Ultimate Cliploader seems like the thing to have.  I get the Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and will be looking that up.  Hey, I can probably do that on line.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hayabusa

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
Sounds like a fun day!  Thanks for the report and the call out on the loader.  I always questioned if they really work.  I have a Ruger and a Browning and the wife has her own Browning so it's time to order from Cheaper.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:27:16 PM by hayabusa »

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
KJTrains, Hayabusa, and anyone else looking to order this loader, here it is.  It works.  Got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt.  I’m sure others sell this same thing though.  Stock up on .22 ammo though because this thing will make you shoot a lot of it.  It’s that easy.

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
Thanks for the great reports again..
I have always liked the MK .22 models,and always loaded them with the little slip over plastic piece with no problems..

Checked out the loader mentioned and found this link,and it might be a bit less expensive?

Midway Link

Plus during the hard to find ammo times,CTD RAPED everyone and anyone they could on their prices-I have a hard time forgiving them.. :o
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
OK, here is a link to the manufacturer site for the "Ultimate Clip Loader" I purchased a dozen and sold them about a year ago.

http://www.mcfaden.com/Clip_Loader.htm

If several people are interested you can buy as few as 6 and get them for $15 each, and split the order.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
OK, here is a link to the manufacturer site for the "Ultimate Clip Loader" I purchased a dozen and sold them about a year ago.

If several people are interested you can buy as few as 6 and get them for $15 each, and split the order.

John

Even better!!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

John

John.  Excellent.  Thanks.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:03 AM »
 Ammotoad, when you first posted about the "ultimate clip loader" I ordered one from Midway. It came this morning. You're right it's a hoot. I Went out for a while this afternoon, mainly to try out the loader. I think I had as much fun with the loader as I did shooting. I like it!! Thanks for the heads up. And Brendan, like you I don't feel that CTD deserves my business, after the last year and a half I neither care for them or trust them. Thanks for the link to Midway.     Gene
birdman

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
I, too, have always had good experience with orders from Midway. That loader may just be next on my list. Thanks, AT, for the reference.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
Daggone.  I knew there was something I was supposed to do; and that was order the "Ultimate clip loader".  Thanks all, for the reminder.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:16:49 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
kj, I have a brand new one you can have for $20, let me know.
We could meet at Randy's sometime.

John
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:46:31 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson