Author Topic: problem with round in chamber  (Read 17415 times)

Offline giansant

problem with round in chamber
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:20:35 PM »
I have a Wilson Combat Covert that I recently purchased used. When I took it to the range I had a repeated problem of the second round not properly loading into the chamber. A very slight racking of the slide corrects the problem and then (most of the time) the remaining rounds fire. I am using American Eagle ammo (as recommended) and I both cleaned the gun AND I put a new spring in. None of these things have solved the problem. I asked the guy who sold me the gun if he had this problem, and he claimed not to. Does anyone have additional suggestions, or, otherwise does anyone have a recommendation of a gunsmith I could utilize to help me? Thanks.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: problem with round in chamber
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum giansant.

Can't help you with your issue, but I am sure an expert or two will be along shortly.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
Did you try another magazine?

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »
Sounds like slide is sticking to me.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
Wilson Combat Covert? Is that a 1911?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:01:31 PM by offrdmania »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 11:27:52 PM »
Mania must be off the road asking if that is a 1911. ;D

Offline giansant

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I did try several magazines but saw no difference. Also ran those same magazines through my other Rohrbaugh with no issues. I did lubricate the slide (very light coating of oil on the rails) but also did not result in any difference. Not saying that it might not be an issue with the slide but did think of that and tried the oil. And yes, to confirm, it is a Rohrbaugh not a 1911.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
If it may be the slide Eric advised me to apply 1200 grit silicon carbide valve lapping compound on the rails to ensure a good slide to frame fit. That is probably not the issue here but just to pass along some of his wisdom. He said to just work the slide on the frame a few times.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »

I guess I dont know the back story about Wilson Combats involvement with Rohrbaugh. Now that I know its a Rohrbaugh R9 I can most likely help. With the second round not going into the chamber without a little help, could it be a feed ramp issue? Are you seeing deformation at the tip of the bullet, is it getting caught as its moving up into the chamber? There was a recent thread where an owner stated that hollow points wouldnt work in his R9 but round nose rounds worked just fine.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:18:12 PM by offrdmania »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
If it may be the slide Eric advised me to apply 1200 grit silicon carbide valve lapping compound on the rails to ensure a good slide to frame fit. That is probably not the issue here but just to pass along some of his wisdom. He said to just work the slide on the frame a few times.

Will that lapping compound work on a painted slide?  Covert had black coated slides.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

I guess I dont know the back story about Wilson Combats involvement with Rohrbaugh. Now that I know its a Rohrbaugh R9 I can most likely help. With the second round not going into the chamber without a little help, could it be a feed ramp issue? Are you seeing deformation at the tip of the bullet, is it getting caught as its moving up into the chamber? There was a recent thread where an owner stated that hollow points wouldnt work in his R9 but round nose rounds worked just fine.

Wilson took standard R9s and black coated everything to look like a Rohrbaugh Special Forces.  One forum member claimed the internals were tweaked, but another member thought the internals looked unmodified. 

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »

Wilson took standard R9s and black coated everything to look like a Rohrbaugh Special Forces.  One forum member claimed the internals were tweaked, but another member thought the internals looked unmodified.

Thank you for the clarification  ;)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
R9’s are notoriously ammo sensitive...some pistols like one type, or even one specific bullet weight, others seem to thrive on other types.  The American Eagle you are using may have a tiny bit more OAL, causing feeding issues.  If you have not done so, try another ammo...Speer Gold Dot 124 or Federal HST might solve your issue.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline giansant

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 08:41:25 PM »
OK - next time I get out to the range I'll take look at the tip of the round and see if it looks like there are any marks on it from feed ramp issues. I did try other ammo - not the brands recommended here so I will try to do so - I'm definitely aware of the ammo-sensitive nature of the R9's but if American Eagle doesn't work that kind of surprises me, being that it's one of the ones that was always recommended, and it's always been a steady performer in my other R9. Thanks again to all who continue to reply

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »
I recall that forum members were using Speer Lawman 115 gr for range ammo because it is the same spec as the Gold Dot. You may want to try that one.