Author Topic: Kimber Solo 9mm pocket gun  (Read 16561 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
Re: Kimber Solo 9mm pocket gun
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2011, 02:42:02 AM »
I was in Austin several years ago, having grown up there, and decided to drive to Chip McCormick's place 20 miles south of Austin. I bought a couple of 1911 magazines there and was singularly unimpressed with the entire mediocre operation. Virgil Tripp's Cobra magazines are an entirely different product.

Chip McCormick always had good ideas but the execution sometimes lacked.   The original Shooitng Star magazines were really a natural evolution of the Devel 8 shot magazine.  They were pretty good.  McCormick did a lot of things well when he was an IPSC top competitor and then success came and he got overcome and started having stuff made off shore and it, and in my humble opinion, it got to him more than a little bit.  When Kimber jerked the rug out from under him it was a major financial blow and left him in a bind.    I prefer the 70's Colt mags with the rampant pony and the M that were made by Metalform on contract for Colt.   They can be converted with follower kits from lots of places that are still McCormicks design, to an 8 shot but the boxes are the best of all the mags in my opinion.      I had a small problem with Tripp a few years ago over a pistol I built and sent to them for Hard Chrome plating.   They sent it back with a thousand dollar COD bill on it for all the work I had done prior to sending it for Chrome plating and I had paid for the plating in advance.    We eventually got it straightened out, after a protracted phone conversation that had some unpleasant overtones and he finally admitted his error,   but I've never done business with him since.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:21 AM »
All busineses make mistakes. Its how ther rectify their mistakes that show their true Jude of character an keeps you coming back or looking for alternatives.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:55:16 AM by wolverine_450 »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
Any gun company makes errors - there isn't much quality control in the industry.  (In manufacturing, you have to focus on perfecting process, rather than units, and I think, either as a result of the "craftsman" tradition in the gun industry, or because the profit margins are too low, process never seems to be perfected.)  

EG, I have had custom guns, which couldn't fire at all, I've had a batch of Virgil Tripp mags which couldn't be loaded (wrong springs in them), I've had brand new guns which wouldn't run, etc, etc.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »
All busineses make mistakes. Its how ther rectify their mistakes that show their true Jude of character an keeps you coming back or looking for alternatives.

How true that is.  I'm reminded of a story..............Hmmm!   won't go there; however, very good point!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

That is something I Like about Nighthawk Customs, they go way out of thier way to keep the customer happy and the word has spread around that they are doing it.
 But other 1911 Companies have the opposit reputation and that word as well has spread.
Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
When you spend that kind of money, is sure is reassuring about a company like Nighthawk.
That carries a lot of weight when it comes time to make that special purchase.
Thanks for reminding us Cheif.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE