Author Topic: PM45  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Amacro

PM45
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
Saw a used- looks almost new -PM45 at gander mt today,
$599 with 2 mags and box seems like an excellent deal and the reviews that I've looked at on line seem favorable. I put it on hold till sunday and appreciate the input from those who have some insight.
Thanks Al

ccoorreeyy

Re: PM45
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
I had one and it was a very good gun.  Nice and small for a 45 and it was very reliable (never a problem).  It was also easy to conceal.  I would rate it highly.  

I sold it to help fund a early R9 purchase.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »

I would prefer the Glock 36 and its excellent accuracy. If you just don't like Glocks that is a different issue.

http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/45/36/

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
I tried a 36 but the PM45 felt MUCH better in my hand.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
That tactile feel is vey important. Did you buy the PM45?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:47:30 PM by tracker »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
Dad has both (apparently, along w. my childhood chore of cleaning guns, I now am supposed to break in his new carry guns for him.  Not all bad, except for the tiny monsters...)  

The G36 is a bit bigger, but MUCH easier to shoot, at least for me.  

The PM45 is conceivable as a pocket pistol, and serves its purpose for him - securely stored in a town that he flies to from time to time, so he doesn't have to hassle w. flying w. a gun.   The G36 is pretty much a waist pistol.  

IMO, the first thing to address would be any sharp edges on the trigger - Dad's had some.  Otherwise, learning to deal w. the recoil would be about it - I actually didn't mind the stock sights.  As I recall, the trigger pull feels a bit heavy, and is longer than the Glock - not really a problem, provided you're used to a DAO gun.  It is considerably harder to rack than the G36, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for a healthy male.

Personally, I've gone w. a 329 NG for my gun of ~ that size.  I just use a clip draw to carry it, and have some custom "service style" grips fitted to it.  It's been quite comfortable, and has decent sights, has a remarkably smooth, if heavy, trigger pull for a stock revolver, and is comparable in weight to the Glock.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:28:14 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Amacro

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
No I have not purchased it as of yet -I did not have my gander mt credit card that I planned to use for lay away deposit 25% so they put it on a back shelf until I return. And yes as one of the respondants noted the spring is pretty tight!
But I did "dry fire" it and found the trigger pull to be light and smooth. I do hope the the spring does lighten up some or I'll have to do some work on my grip strengh!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »

Aglifter,
Is that a .44 Magnum that you are using as a carry gun?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
My son-inlaw has the PM45 and is very happy with it, shoots nice and conceals well. I have the PM40, PM9 and P380 all are fine shooting well made guns.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Yup, but loaded w. 44 specials
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
I carry my Ruger .44 mag Ruger Super Black Hawk loaded with .44 mags to the range and in the woods.   :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
I shot an IDPA match, once, w. full 44 Mags out of that thing - the 329 NG has a scandium frame.

By the end of the match,  every screw on the gun was loose*, the rear sights had almost completely come off - forgot to use loctite on them, and I was struggling to be able to operate the cylinder latch.  But, I figured whatever was going to break on the gun, already would have - I had already disabled the Clinton lock, and installed a cylinder and slide firing pin.

*Even using 222MS loctite on all the screws.

After that, I'm happy to carry it w. 44 specials - I do put in mags for hunting in pig country, however.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:14:47 PM by Aglifter »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »
The .44 specials are the smart way to go, for sure; heavy .44 mag shooting can be trying; however, I love shooting it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:34:24 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »

I love to shoot a .44 special.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
I love to shoot a .44 special.

;D