Author Topic: 115 Silvertips vs 115 Gold Dots  (Read 2537 times)

Offline itguy

115 Silvertips vs 115 Gold Dots
« on: October 10, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »
The only rounds that I feel comfortable with so far are the 115 Silvertips.  This is because, in my mind, their relatively pointed bullet feeds much better than the others.  I have tried just about everything else (except the Gold Dot 115, which I have on order) and none of the others feed as well.  Unfortunately, I have heard that the Silvertips are somewhat old technology and are not very good at expansion.  Has anyone tried the 115 Gold Dots, and do they have a more pointed bullet like the Silvertips?  Or are they just a "snubby" 124?  I'm trying to settle on the best feeding bullet that also has good expansion.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: 115 Silvertips vs 115 Gold Dots
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:57:07 PM »
itguy:

Until Chris checks in, his FAQ site has some information:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/data/R9-ammo-data.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:12:17 PM »
Most people here like the 115gr Gold Dots.  I feel the silvertips do feed better than any other JHP round I have played with.  I agree that they expand poorly compared to the newer designs.  GDHP is great stuff.  If it works in your pistol then it's a great choice.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »
Checking in Richard - missed out yesterday. :)

Yes, that page gives plenty of figures but in fact to see the expansion characteristics - go to the FAQ site and click on button for third ammo test or go straight to Third ammo test.

Third pic down shows the less than stellar expansion - at least - it seemed so much less consistent than GD's.  True enough it feeds good.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline itguy

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I just happened to be on packing.org and saw a link to speer's web site showing their different velocities, etc.  If you can believe the attached pictures of their bullets, there is a distinct difference between the 115 GDHP and the 124 GDHP.  The 115 appears more pointed, which is what I was hoping for.  If the picture is accurate it should feed as well as the Silvertips.  I'll report back after I try a few.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:32:48 PM »
I have used and like the GD 115s..

Feed like banshees whenever asked with either of the pups. ;D

That being said,I have not had a problem with the STHPs!!

Now when we deal with terminal ballistics :o there appears to be the divide.. >:(

I always shot STs in my Seecamp till I tried GDs!! ;)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe