Author Topic: 115 gr Silvertips  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
115 gr Silvertips
« on: August 19, 2005, 10:56:35 AM »
I was surprised to see reports of Karl using Winchester Silvertips.  Has anyone heard about his reasons for switching from Gold Dots?

Meanwhile, Seecamp seems to be changing their recommendation from Silvertips to Hydra-Shoks.

I've pretty much decided to fly solo, and experiment with all my premium 9mm rounds, and select one that is most reliable.

Naturally, I expect all to work just fine in this wonderful pistol.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: 115 gr Silvertips
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:50:14 PM »
Bill:

I've settled on 147-grain Remington Golden Sabers.  I tend to subscribe to the "big-and-slow" theory when it comes to defensive rounds.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:26:21 PM »
Richard,

Those Golder Sabers are very nice, indeed.  I've never had a single failure using them in other pistols.

It's amazing how a few years ago you couldn't find a nice word about 147 gr. bullets.  Now, they are highly favored.

Mine are Ranger LEO 147gr, and I'm going to try them in the R9S.

Meanwhile, changing the subject, I must have sustained an injury in my shooting head (correction: hand) some years ago, and the R9S really gives me a jolt!!  It's a big deal.

We are going to have an X-ray next week.  Sure don't want anything interfering with shooting the Rohrbaugh.

I just received a S&W shooting glove, and may try that just to run some rounds through the gun.  A report will follow about the usefulness of a glove.

I know you should practice in a realistic manner.  This is just a temporary situation.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 11:55:33 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
I was the fellow who reported that Karl said he uses Silvertips.

What Karl told me is that he just finds the Silvertips to be reliable performers, with a decent MV (in the 1060s from the R9 he carries) and a solid record for expanding. Later, in another conversation, he told me that he preferred Winchester primers based on his extensive IPSC performance (you hear this a lot from the race-gun reloaders, the Winchester primers are held by many to require less force to detonate than CCI or Remington primers) - perhaps that had something to do with his choice, as well.

The only reason Karl mentioned the STHP was in response to my telling him that I was planning to carry 147-gr Gold Dots (I've changed my mind on that, btw, but not because I think GDs are a bad load, or anything . . . I carry them in my Hi-Power), and it was sort of just in the context of two gun guys discussing loads.

I appreciate the idea of tailoring your load to your carry pistol. Frankly, all modern hollowpoints seem to perform about the same, inasmuch as each shooting is profoundly different. As I mentioned on another thread, I've worked on over 100 handgun killing cases, and there's not much difference between the wounds left by (.38 spl and bigger) handgun calibers, let alone bullets. To some extent, all this idle bullet selection talk is counting angels dancing on the heads of pins - performance in the firearm is the primary concern, performance in the air to the target is the next (obviously, you want accuracy so that you can pinpoint those difficult-to-hit stop zones on a human target), and performance in meat is probably the least important. As long as it can hit the right part of the attacker and adequately penetrate to get to "the good stuff," expansion is not much more than gravy.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I carry the 147-gr Gold Dots in my Hi-Power, and Winchester's 127-gr +P+ RA9ATs in my Glock 26. I carry Remington 158-gr +P LSWCHPs in my .38 snubs, backed up with Federal +P+ 147-gr Hydra-Shoks on my speedloaders and speed strips (the jacketed Hydra-Shoks won't deform in my pocket). I carry Double Tap 200-gr XTPs in my 1076. I carry Buffalo Bore 158-gr LHC .357s in my King Cobra and Federal 250-gr JSPs in my .41 Blackhawk. It's all good. :)

And in the Rohrbaugh? I'll carry the light version of the STHP in my R9s based on nothing but Karl's recommendation - because he of all people ought to know what works in the gun, and because he has a solid tactical and training background to support his thoughts on bullet performance. But I think that all of the choices mentioned thus far should work just fine in the gun.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:28:43 PM »
Thanks for the great information, Erich.

I may pickup some STHP just to try it out.  The name "silvertip" is enough to draw me to the cartridge.  As a small boy in Arkansas listening to the Detroit radio in the static, I still remember the Lone Ranger and his silver bullets.

If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.  :)

Bill

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
 :)

They are nice bullets. It's funny, I used to keep Winchester 115-gr STHPs in my S&W 439 way back in the '80s. The more things change, . . . .

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »
I may be wrong about this, but I think the Seecamp company does not reccomend the WW STHP in the .32 caliber, but I believe they will work in the .380 Seecamp.

Who posted above about a injury to their shooting head? ???
O.K., O.K. , I know what you meant....I think.

Anyway, good luck with that injury.

gee, all this talk makes me want to do some shooting with the R9 right now.

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:44:35 PM »
My recollection is that the Seecamp 32s (at least the original ones) would only work with STHPs. This may have changed in recent years.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 09:45:25 PM »
Whoops!  I didn't mean to say shooting head, although maybe there is some truth to that.   :)  Thanks for noticing it.

All this shooting talk also makes me want to get out and use the R9S.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 12:54:41 AM »
If you have followed links thru my FAQ site - to my ammo tests - I did not find (personally) that Silvertips were all that good in wetpack - which of course ain't the be all and end all.!

I don't remembere Golden Sabers as being too impressive either.  But I think they cycled OK.

I stick to the GD's because of their functional reliability in the gun and their near uncanny consistency in wetpack.  They ''peel'' very nicely.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »
Concerning the .32 Silver Tip loads that were the "choice" for Seecamps for years,I believe the overall length has slightly changed with new production..
Guess this is causing malfunctions with the .32..

I have several old boxes to last awhile and I will be using GDs otherwise as the shoot swell out of the Seecamp for me.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »
That is a true statement Brenden, but does that carry over to the .380 Seecamp? I think just the .32.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 08:39:16 PM by chameleon »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 10:50:19 PM »
Go to the Seecamp website www.seecamp.com  -- they have ammo info there.  Larry Seecamp told me to hang onto the old 32 silvertips to use for carry.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 12:42:53 AM »
"I carry Double Tap 200-gr XTPs in my 1076." - Erich

Another 10mm guy! 8) Those DT's are great aren't they?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:24:03 AM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 11:45:02 AM »
Yep! Mike McNett will never be allowed to buy a drink when I'm in the room - I owe him for bringing out that fine line of ammo.  :)