Author Topic: 115 gr Silvertips  (Read 5799 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Re: 115 gr Silvertips
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 07:59:52 PM »
So, what is a good ammo for just going to the range and shooting for the R9?
I like the Gold Dots for carry, and I have Silvertips.
 What is something that will function, and not real expensive?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 08:14:33 PM »
Hi chameleon,

Originally the Rohrbaugh brothers recommended Gold Dots.  Now I understand Silvertips are being carried.

However, I think just about any premium ammo is considered OK.

The big no-no is not use +P rounds.

I would even go down to Wal-Mart and buy WWB 9mm.  I don't see why not.

There have been some very excellent reports here about trips to the range using various kinds of ammo.

Please look in the FAQ section that shows up at the top of the main  page.  There you will find the reports.

Bill

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:07:34 PM by Michigunner »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »

However, I think just about any premium ammo is considered OK.

The big no-no is not use +P rounds.

I would even go down to Wal-Mart and buy WWB 9mm.  I don't see why not.

There have been some very excellent reports here about trips to the range using various kinds of ammo.

Bill

Bill[/quote

Thanks Bill, That's what I wanted to know, and know quickly, without having to search.
I am going to be buying some 9mm soon, and just wanted to know what to get.

I knew about the Silvertips, and GoldDots, as I do have those.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:29:51 PM by chameleon »

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 12:35:22 PM »
I have used "magsafe" in my  32 seecamp for over 8 years and I never had a problem with it, also I carry "magsafe" in my R9 and it works and cycles perfectly, (magsafe same as used in 26 Glock)....Gemini.Dan
GeminiDan

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 08:20:28 PM »
For my first time out I used white box Winchester.  
Worked beautifully with not even a hiccup.  I think this gun will eat most anything if dutifly maintained.  For protective carry I will follow factory suggestions.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 12:32:04 AM »
Do you always follow others, or can you go on line and read the statistics about "magsafe"..it reduces recoil, lower flash,,,,great stopping power............Geminidan
GeminiDan

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »
Hi All…

I have to agree and disagree with Erich a bit.  I agree that unless the ammo works reliably in your pistol it is not a good choice.  That said, as an engineer, I feel that the best way to evaluate the effectiveness of a bullet is by testing a wide variety under tightly controlled laboratory conditions.  

I respect that Erich has investigated actual shootings, but actual shootings happen in the field, where conditions are largely unknown.  What kind of round was used and what kind of pistol was it shot from?  How long was the barrel?  Was the pistol in good or poor condition?  What was the shot person wearing?  It was probably different than what other shot persons were wearing.  Was a barrier involved?  How old was the ammo?  This all barely scratches the surface.  Because all these things vary greatly from shooting to shooting, it’s not possible to determines what rounds are more effective based upon examining this data.

Karl has also told me he carries silvertips.  The silvertip tests as a less effective round than Speer GDHP, Winchester RA9T or Federal Tactical, which are the two best self defense rounds available (per laboratory testing).  The newer rounds designed like these utilize bonded bullets and the highest quality cases and primers.  

These are my choices, but my initial testing showed frequent failures to feed with all these rounds.  I was particularly disappointed with the failures from the RA9T, since this non +P round tests as well as P+ competitors.  At 147gr, this round creates much less felt recoil and lighter bullets.        

I did send the pistol back along with samples of this ammo.  They did some minor work on it, sent it back and it still failed for me.  So maybe it is my fault.  I can accept that.  If I shoot the pistol carefully I don’t get the failures.  In a stress fire situation, I won’t be checking my grip.

So, my pistol has silvertips in it right now.  I have never had a silvertip fail.  However, I do wish I could RA9T or GDHP or Federal Tactical.  

Someone asked where a cheap source of practice ammo is.  Well, if your pistol shots Speer GDHP reliably, you can practice with what you carry.  Ammoman frequently has reclassified 9mm Speer GDHP for the same cost as good range ammo.  Check out:

http://www.ammoman.com  

Someone on this forum in nearby CT generously offered to let me come shoot his R9.  I have not yet taken him up on that, but I plan to before cold sets in.  I’ll let him shoot mine as well, so we can see if it is the pistol or my shooting.

Richard mentioned the “heavy and slow” theory.  I firmly agree.  I am in the heavy and slow camp, hence my like of 147gr bullets.  

You guys have properly identified the Seecamp .32 issue.  That pistol was actually designed around that round.  Winchester recently changed the length of that round, spoiling the Seecamp .32.  As someone said, this is well discussed on their website.

Finally, a comment about why the silvertips seem to work.  I think it is because they are much pointier and thinner at the very tip then other rounds.  Other rounds are shorter and flatter than the silvertip.  I think this is the difference.  IIRC, Karl told me this as well.

Jim

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »
It may not mean much, but I've read a few accounts of Silver tips failing to perform/expand in actual shootings. I have tested 9mm silver tips in my R-9 and Kahr PM9. I tested some hollow point rounds by firing into wet telephone books. While not as scientific as ballistic gel, it gives a pretty good comparison of the rounds fired into the same book. At 12 feet the Silver Tips did not expand or penetrate as well as the Speer 115gr GDHPs. The Speers feed flawless in my R-9 so that's what I use.

Ed