Author Topic: 2nd best????  (Read 13898 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: 2nd best????
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
I just weighed my PM9 empty and it weighs 16.2 oz with an empty mag.  That means the Solo should come in at 20.5 oz loaded if Kimber's advertised weights are correct.  I have found that the advertised weights are usually lower than actual.

I would love to get a Solo but I haven't even seen one yet.  One sold on GB yesterday for $1001.00 plus freight.  MSRP is $725.00.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Yeah I saw that on. Both the PM9 and the Solo are heavy for pocket. But both are easily concealable in other ways. I am going to wait for a little bit seriously look at the Solo. That price is ridiculous unless you have money you do not need. I would not pay more than the MSRP and I bet you will be able to get them for $100 or so less. It does look like a nice pistol though.

Offline jhmedrano

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 01:50:23 PM »
Well mrc you are definitely right in alot of things, for one thing the pm9 is easier to shooot and can definitely go to the range and shoot 100 shots with no hurt like the pup, quite frankly if urs hasnt been reliable then its totally understanble to put the pup in the second place or even last right? I mean wat good is a gun thats not reliable.
But give the pup a chance to be reliable and youll soon put it in number one!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
As far as the ability to pocket carry certain pistols I believe we all, including myself, let an ounze or two of weight affect our decision on what to carry.  I tried carrying the R9 and PM9 on an every other day basis and I surprised myself that I really did not notice the 1.7 oz difference in the two. If weight was the factor I would carry my LWS 380 every day, but I do not have much confidence in my ability to defend myself with that gun.

Presently I carry both a PM9 and a Kahr P380 depending on what I wear and where I am going.  The bulge from the bigger PM9 is much more noticible to me then the extra weight.

Everyone dresses different and has different likes and dislikes, so it isn't a one size fits all world.  I still would like to get another R9 but the only reason I can come up with is

I like "cool guns" and they certainly are that.

Offline jhmedrano

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »
Definitely coooll gun but functinal, yea i might get a .380 for work so i can ankle carry but the only .380 i can think of that i would anle carry is keltec p3at. Kahr p380 is nice but ishhh to many options for cheaper now if it wer smaller and lighter than the competition then i dont care how muvh money it cost, hence me buying the r9  :)    but for that monry even though its heavier i like the p238 from sig.  Just my two cents

Offline gbelleh

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »
I also put the PM9 at #1 and the R9 at #2.  I consider the R9 a last ditch, backup gun (but a very high quality one).  The PM9 has actual sights (mine has night sights), is softer shooting and much more controllable, even with +p.  Not to mention the PM9 locks the slide back on empty and has a frame mounted mag release.  All things I want in my main carry gun.  The PM9 is just barely pocketable for me, but I usually carry it IWB.

But the R9 is unbeatable as a close range, backup, back pocket gun.  It's nice to have another 7 rounds available without a mag change.
gbelleh

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
MRC, you have some excellent points regarding the PM9 and the R9. Let me add my thoughts into this "gentleman’s discussion".

I started with a PM9 and ended with 2x R9s. Let me start by saying that I feel the PM9 is an excellent pistol and as far a shootablity, follow-up accuracy and features (sights, slide release) it wins over the R9. However as a "pocket 9mm" the R9 is superior in my opinion for 3 reasons.  
1) As a lefty the mag release on my Kahr (PM9) would always be inadvertently engaged both in my pocket and IWB. I would come home and empty my font pocket and have the mag hit the floor. I shudder to think what would happen in a defensive scenario.   I know this is not an issue for allot of people but it is for me, the R9s and Seecamp heal mag release is preferred and it is a deal breaker for me. (Of note the LCP has a recessed mag release)

2) On two separate PM9 mags, I experienced broken mag followers at the range. This does not bode well for a carry gun
See photo http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/chihuahuatn/Guns/MAG1.jpg

3) I can barely pocket the PM9, where as I can always pocket my R9. I feel that the PM9 is a great IWB gun but not a great pocket gun. For the record I own a Kahr P380 and Kahr TP9 and I feel that Kahr makes great guns. I think a PM9 vs PPS is a better comparison.
I was delighted to see new “micro 9’s” being produced however I don’t think I will be getting any to replace my R9s. The Kimber solo’s length is too long, Sigs P290 is blocky and heavy 20.5oz not loaded (see Nutsnfancys review), and the LC9 dimensions are too big for pocket carry.  I’m sure there going to be great guns and I probably will own one of them.

I am sorry your R9 experienced these problems

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
The only time I have ever had any trouble with a conventional magazine release was with a pony pocket-lite and that was just once and I purchased a decent holster and that eleviated that problem.

I had my PM9 out yesterday weighing it so I carried it the rest of the day and night and it was no more noticable than my P380 which I have been carrying more lately.

Here are some comparison charts and really there is not much size difference.  Add the thickness of the R9's oversize grips necessitated by their trigger bar system, the thickness is the same.  The PM9 is "taller" just because it has real sights.  The 10% weight difference is really the only factor and for me, it is negligible.

The main difference is the R9's 'sleek good looks' vs. the Kahrs 'ugly Glock-like square slide look'.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1297471836

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
There is another subjective difference of the R9 and that is the "Rolex" feel of tactile quality that gives it an edge over most others.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:51:28 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
 I still would like to get another R9 but the only reason I can come up with is

I like "cool guns" and they certainly are that.

MRC.  Hope you do get another R9.  I think your interest is still certainly there.  A "cool gun" is great reason to get one.    :)

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
An interesting thread. My vote for 2nd best micro 9mm is:

"         "

Yeah - that's blank on purpose - because I don't feel that there is any other true micro 9mm besides the R9.

I was tempted to vote for the Kahr PM9 until I handled one a few weeks ago and concluded that for me it is not really a micro - it's a small 9mm but not really pocketable, being both too heavy to be comfortable and too big to fit in my pocket and conceal well. While I'm sure it would be easy to carry IWB (as the R9 is) if I'm going to carry IWB there are a lot of other options I'd pick before I'd carry a PM9 - and for that matter there are other options I'd probably pick before carrying my R9 IWB. Most notably my H&K P2000SK in a Compu-Tac IWB holster is as easy to carry and conceal IWB as my R9 is but it's 9+1 of .40 S&W and I'll opt for the more powerful round when I can.

Unless I can carry a gun in my pocket and have it virtually disappear it's probably not the option I'd choose. I do have to admit that I have an IWB holster for my R9 and sometimes use it - but those occasions arise when the R9 is all I have with me and the wardrobe of the day dictates IWB instead of pocket carry.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
I do not think you can look at a gun I say it will not pocket carry.  Look at he comparison charts and give me a legitimate reason.  I say you must put it into your pocket for a few days.  I had the PM9 before the R9 as it was in the summer of 2009 at the height of the CCW buying frenzy.  When a R9 came up on GB in September at a decent price I jumped on it.

My first three trips to the range were disasters.  Not a complete magazine with six different brands of ammo.  I did not give up on it then.  Thats when I decided to carry the two guns on an ervery other day basis for a comparrison to see if the R9 was worth putting $200 to $300 into to make it work and be more shootable.  I decided the PM9 was the way to go.

The R9 also had an extremely rough bore  which in my and my gunsmith's opion made it unsellable.  I sent pictures to Rohrbaugh and Eric had Maria tell me that all their barrels looked like that and it doesn't affect function so why would I care.  I asked to talk to Eric and they decided to buy the gun back instead of fixing it for a customer.  The end of my R9.

KJ,  you asked to see the pictures so I emailed them to you.  Tell the forum members what you thought of the barrel.

If anyone one would like to see them, PM me your addres and I would gladly show you what Eric calls normal.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »

KJ,  you asked to see the pictures so I emailed them to you.  Tell the forum members what you thought of the barrel.

If anyone one would like to see them, PM me your addres and I would gladly show you what Eric calls normal.

Well, I definitely didn't think it was normal.  My first one didn't look like that and the two I have now doesn't look like that, however, I felt like Rohrbaugh would compensate you to your satisfaction and they did.

I really do hope you get another R9.  I'm going for #3 soon as I find a Robar NIB.  

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Thanks Kj.

I had two things in mind when I sent the pictures to Rohrbaugh.

1)  I was sure that they would replace the barrel so I would be able to sell the gun.
2)  While it was at the factory getting rebarreled, maybe they would fix the functioning problems and by the time it got         back I would have calmed down enough to keep it.

Ultimately I got my money back sans the freight both ways($100) so I guess I got one of my goals.  The one thing that pissed me off was I had to get mad before they would make a move of any kind and I have never been treated like that on any type of warranty work by any other manufacturer.  Plus I nor anyone I have talked to have ever heard of a gun manufacturer "buying their problems" back.  Have you?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:06 PM »
Have not!  That being said, I am a Rohrbaugh fan and hope you will be one, soon.