Author Topic: 2nd best????  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
Re: 2nd best????
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
MRC, respectfully when you exam los's diagrams what is not apparent is the blocky appearance of the PM9. The slide of the R9 is not blocky but rather streamlined/curved (hard to describe in cross-section) and thats why it conceals better in the pocket. IWB is another story... I carry my R9 in a desantis superfly for the LCP/Kel Tec 3AT and it works perfectly, I can't do that with my former PM9.

The only issue I had with my R9 was one singe round of Gold Dot that would not fire; it would also not fire in my Hi-Power and 92 FS.

You know as gun affectionados we all discuss small details and insignificant points most of the time, but if you have reliable PM9 that suits perfectly as your primary carry concealed then there is no need for a R9. In other words life is good in the concealed carry world.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:48:04 PM by chihuahuatn »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
Mike  -  I do agree with the slide profile being a factor.  That is more important to the carryaility of the R9 than the 1.7 oz everyone complains about.

From an engineering stand point, the mass of the slide in my opinion, is what makes the PM9 easier to shoot.  Changing the profile would improve the looks and concealablity, but it would also change the whole diynamics of the gun when firing.  The heavier slide, the offset feed ramp,  the lighter and more durable polymer frame, and the agressive texturing of the grips make the gun easier to shoot and able to handle +P ammo.

The R9 is made for your pocket, the PM9 is made to shoot.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »

If the R9 is not made to shoot, a lot of us have wasted money.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »
Mine shoots and has yet to show any vices.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
   The R9 is meant to be carried often and shot very seldom.  

That is not a quote of mine
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:42:24 AM by MRC »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
  The R9 is meant to be carried often and shot very seldom.  

That is not a quote of mine

Indeed, that paraphrases a comment once made by Karl Rohrbaugh explaining that he designed the R9 primarily for use as a self-defense weapon rather than as a recreational or competition range gun.

This link to a discussion back in 2004 might be relevant in the present context, particularly the third paragraph in the second part of the opening post:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1091220026;start=1#1  

_____

And here is a link to the video (made in 2004, I believe) in which Karl Rohrbaugh is shown demonstrating the R9 and in which he made the comment paraphrased:

http://www.thingameez.com/vid-download/r9-karl-demo.wmv

_____

Finally, I can't help but post a link to my favorite review of the Rohrbaugh R9 series -- an article written by Roy Huntington, Publisher and Editor of American Hangunner magazine.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_194_32/ai_n25469392/?tag=content;col1

Huntington's concluding comments mirror my own thoughts about the Rohrbaugh R9:

[size=10]I just bought a Rohrbaugh pistol, an R9S. It's the one shown in the photo comparing sizes with other small handguns. After all these years, all those dreams, all the small guns I've gone through during my searches over the years, all the frustrations when I've found them to be wrong; I can honestly say I found the gun for this role. I readily admit it's just my opinion, and I would be disappointed if everyone agreed with me. But I have to tell you, this is one very nifty pocket gun, and it delivers everything it promises--and a bit that's intangible.

Think about the feeling you have when you finally get that special pocket knife you've always wanted. The one with ancient ivory scales, Damascus blades, gold inlay and your name on it. It's safe, clipped to your pocket, and you are aware it's there at some level and you feel just a bit ... what? ... smug? And, you probably also feel, well, contented? You find yourself smiling for no particularly good reason. A mini-version of "All is right with the world." At least your world--at that moment.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:30:40 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
Good discussion. Thank you to tracker for his "Rolex" comment regarding the R9 and Richard for his nostalgic links to the past.

I looked at the Kimber Solo but I don't like hammerless guns. I have a Sig P290 on order and hope to get it within the next couple of weeks. The reason I ordered one is because of the options and features:

1. Frame mounted mag release
2. Sights
3. Slide remains open after last shot fired
4. Slide release/takedown lever
5. (Perceived) simplicity of takedown and reassembly
6. Shoots +P ammo
7. It's a Sig

I owned a Kahr in the 1990's, when the gun was new to the market, and had a double spring failure at the range after 200 rounds. That tainted my view toward Kahr and I have never considered one since. I do recall a very smooth trigger pull.

My expectation, with the P290, is that it will be slightly larger than the R9 and certainly heavier. I doubt that it will rival the "Rolex" quality of the R9 but I am really looking forward to this gun nonetheless.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
ACP; and thanks for your comments on the Sig P290.  Always good to look forward to getting a new gun.  Seems like I'm always antisipating something.  Now have the Glock 17, Gen 4; so now two Glocks.  These things just keep on ticking, so to speak.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
Thank you for your encouragement kjtrains. This is the first time since the R9 that I have purchased the gun without having had it in my hand.

They are two different guns but the price point on the P290 is compelling; 1/2 of what I paid for a standard R9 and 1/3 of what I paid for my Robar R9.

Time will tell if I like the P290 but I have a feeling that i am going to really like this gun; (despite its limitations of slightly smaller size, heavier weight and wide girth).

Some bloggers question why the P290 is so  "fat" and heavy for a single stack carry gun, but again I can live with it. Please note, anything is better than living in New Jersey, my former state, in which all CCW guns were the same weight; Zero Ounces! (Think about it).
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
I held the P290 at SHOT and didn't love it as much as I had hoped -- so far.  I hope the shooting performance changes my mind.

My biggest issue was that the grip was so short I could barely get two fingers on the gun.

Nevertheless, I should have one of the first P-290s in circulation -- for review in Shooting Illustrated.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
Our Administrator has the advantage over me in that he has had a P290 in his hand. However, the grip doesn't bother me. My expectation is that I will be able to get two fingers on the grip leaving the little finger in my right hand without purchase on the grip; just like the R9.

Since I am an R9 partisan and will own both guns, it is not "either/or" for me. However, given the options and features of the P290, and its price point, I predict Sig will do well.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
I actually think the P290 grip is shorter than the R-9 just because of the way the gun is set up.  I could be wrong.  It was about 1.5 fingers for me.  

I can post some picks when I get it.   Sounds like still a week or two.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
Duane: I would love to see pictures when you have them. Right now I am 4 weeks invested into what was quoted as "2 - 6 weeks".  Meanwhile, I have managed to offend the Sig Rep.

When I tried to expedite my gun he told me "those guns should be starting to ship next week so you should see your gun soon depending upon the order sequence." Italics added to illustrate my frustration.

I went back to the Sig Rep and said what he told me was the next best thing to information.

Offline jhmedrano

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 04:02:15 AM »
Well guys am.back lol been busy hadnt had time to check the lil discussion i started, i have to it kinda took a diferent turn? But its still fun nonetheless, anyhow i seen that mr. Acp ordered a nee sig p290...... well if i may i will post my opinion on it first of i have to say am a big sig fan love sig!! Etc. There great and wen i heard that they were making a small ninr i was extatic to say the least, but....wen i seen the specs and stsrted to see the gun i was once again dissapointed by sig with yet another small ccw pistol the first one was the p238, (see my other post in other guns of my 1 to 5 best small .380) anyhow first of i can understand why someone would order it...its a sig!! Nuff said buy the fact that its chunky, pretty ugly in my book and it weight at almost 20 ounces in a market where we have a keltec at $300 weighing 12.7 ounces no mag of course that still shoots a 9mm, wat is sig thinking?????? And of course am noy even gonna mention the pup.  You  got diamondback brand coming out wit wat suppose to a 11 ounce pocket nine which is suppose to be pretty much the size of their .380 thats the kind of pocket nines i wish everybody  came out wit, in my book sig p290 is very late cuz wen i think of a p290 sized gun i think i rather stick wit the glock 26. Sorry guys but it really bugs me that a company i love would come out wit such a big and heavy gun to today standards. Love the forums you guts are great sorry if a rammbled on. Lol

Offline Bowhunter2001

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »
My R9 #1. My PM9 sits in the case. It has been back to Kahr 3 times and I just don't trust it.
Do it with Bow and arrow!