Author Topic: Which side do you carry?  (Read 6608 times)

Offline luvmyyorkie

Which side do you carry?
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:18 AM »
I've decided to make the plunge on an R9s and have talked with Tom a few weeks ago.  

I'm clueless as to which side to carry the R9 in/on, when using a pocket holster?  I've not done that before (carry using a pocket holster -- I have been clueless lots!).

I mostly carry a 1911 (one of 3 iterations-CCO, Comm., Gov't) using a In the Waist Band holster and occasionally an Out of the Waist Band holster.

So, for those of you who use the R9 as a back up pistol, assuming you have your other pistol on some sort of belted holster (or shoulder holster), and that you use a strong side carry for your primary weapon--do you put the R9 in your pocket on your weak side or keep 'em both on the strong side?

Thanks,
mike

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Which side do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:34 AM »
Mike,
   I rarely carry two but on the occasion I do, both on the strong side. The pocket carried gun can be quicker to bring to ready in a situation were you are aware of the threat and don't want to give away the fact you are armed. I frequently walk with my hand on the pup in my pocket when in unfamiliar surroundings.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
Well my BUG is strong side belt holster ;-) I detest pocket carry.

If your primary is in a belt holster maybe you want an ankle rig.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Depends on what circumstance you see yourself primarily "backing up" against. That will influence where you position your back up.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
First of all, if I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum I do so now.

I carry my R9 in the right (strong side) front pocket. When carrying a second handgun as primary, it will usually be IWB at "4:00 o'clock" or, when riding in a vehicle, in cross-draw position.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:39:35 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum from me as well.

A fellow forum member convinced me; sorry I do not remember who it was, Brendon, or Chamleon maybe ?, when carrying two to have access with either hand.    Thus, I carry one on each side.  It just makes sense.  You never know which hand(s) will be occupied during the initial start up of the conflict.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
I've decided to make the plunge on an R9s and have talked with Tom a few weeks ago.  

I'm clueless as to which side to carry the R9 in/on, when using a pocket holster?  I've not done that before (carry using a pocket holster -- I have been clueless lots!).

I mostly carry a 1911 (one of 3 iterations-CCO, Comm., Gov't) using a In the Waist Band holster and occasionally an Out of the Waist Band holster.

So, for those of you who use the R9 as a back up pistol, assuming you have your other pistol on some sort of belted holster (or shoulder holster), and that you use a strong side carry for your primary weapon--do you put the R9 in your pocket on your weak side or keep 'em both on the strong side?

Thanks,
mike

Mike.  Mine is carried in the right front pocket and I never carry two; however, should I do so, it would be one in each front pocket; I, then, would have to find a place for the car keys and the Kershaw knife which could be a coat pocket, if in the fall or winter; can shoot with either hand, so the left front pocket wouldn't be a problem.

I do have a cross-draw holster for vehicle carry, however, seldom use it; something I should consider doing more.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:50:59 PM »
On the rare occasions I only carry one gun (mostly in my hometown of BFE, TX), I carry the pup strongside.  

If I'm carrying my normal 3, then on the weak side.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline luvmyyorkie

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:57:36 AM »

Thanks to one and all for the insights from your experiences and for the warm welcome!

And I appreciate any additional thoughts that you may have.  

As for my purpose and use, I can only foresee the unusual event when force is needed and either my belt carry pistol either fails to function or I am not able to access it for some reason.  I am not a LEO, simply a private citizen who, together with my wife, has Concealed Carry permits (Texas resident & Utah non-resident).  

After reading some posts on this forum, and talking with the 1911 "smith" I prefer (& btw-he happens to be a big R9 fan! :-) and am blessed to have encountered, I expect that an R9 will work its way rather quickly into rotation for both my wife and me as we purchase and gain proficiency with them -- and quite possibly for us, becoming the primary and only "carry" pistols.  It seems to be an almost, "too good to be true," concealed carry pistol, but happily--only, "almost." ;-)

kindly
mike

p.s. I am also intrigued by the occasional practice in a potential threat scenario of placing one's hand into a pocket and gripping the pistol (obviously steering clear of the trigger guard and trigger!).  What a sense of comfort that must provide from time to time (and a blessing not having to face fumbling with a coat, over shirt, shirt tail, or vest to gain the weapon and clear the holster!  Especially for some like me who may be less flexible and quite a bit slower than in earlier years).  

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
Mike, I'm sure you know to use a pocket holster to protect the trigger and trigger guard, AND TO PLACE NOTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET!

KH:  If you aren't using the cross draw holster in your vehicle, use my trick:  I simply put the R9 in its pocket carry holster in the door side pocket of my SUV, replacing it in my pocket if I leave the car.  Disadvantage...it's not on my person in a wreck or emergency bail-out, but access is fast and if you are "jacked" and ordered to leave your car, it falls naturally to the right hand as you turn to open the door.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
Mike, I'm sure you know to use a pocket holster to protect the trigger and trigger guard, AND TO PLACE NOTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET!

KH:  If you aren't using the cross draw holster in your vehicle, use my trick:  I simply put the R9 in its pocket carry holster in the door side pocket of my SUV, replacing it in my pocket if I leave the car.  Disadvantage...it's not on my person in a wreck or emergency bail-out, but access is fast and if you are "jacked" and ordered to leave your car, it falls naturally to the right hand as you turn to open the door.

backup.  Who is KH?    ;D  Good suggestion on the door pocket.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Sorry...meant KJ (typing skills have deteriorated with age!).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline luvmyyorkie

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »
Thanks for more super help.  Actually, I hadn't given any thought to keeping stuff out of my pocket--if I were to carry a pocket holster and pistol.  I suppose had I not read this tip, I would just see what else would fit in my pocket.  And that's not a good idea at all--I can see how pulling out the pistol and bringing a cell phone to bear along with it just won't do!

gratefully,
mike

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »
Mike, you're right...cell phones have no immediate protective value  ;D
Another consideration is that the pen knife or whatever can get caught in the trigger guard, allowing the gun to fire as you try to remove it from the pocket.  A good pocket holster adds protection, but the inviolate rule is still to have nothing else in the pocket.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

bamboobob

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for great phone call and recommendation today.

I thought I would bump this up and share a small part of call here:

....        I agree, I think strong side is best when another gun on hip is under heavy closed coat .

Also, try different ways, you will know what is best for you in each situation:   place, clothes, weather, pup only (or as we here call it "Karl Jr.").

Bob