Author Topic: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"  (Read 31862 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick&
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2005, 03:36:28 PM »
   *Tool  pouch*

You guys keep asking for a Tool Pouch, this would be to fit what length punch?  Every body most likely has a different length punch..   I am looking for a short punch, about 3 " long,  in brass.  All that I have looked at  in 1/16" are too soft and bend too easily..  
When I have a  source for a 3'' -1/16" punch that is not  so soft, I will make a suitable  pouch to contain it and the Stop Stick.. ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 03:42:36 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2005, 03:47:31 PM »
  *Tool  pouch*

You guys keep asking for a Tool Pouch, this would be to fit what length punch?  Every body most likely has a different length punch..   I am looking for a short punch, about 3 " long,  in brass.  All that I have looked at  in 1/16" are too soft and bend too easily..  
When I have a  source for a 3'' -1/16" punch that is not  so soft, I will make a suitable  pouch to contain it.. ;D

RJ,
   Sounds like a deal..
You seem to have the connection for the Mettalurgy end-maybe they could do the Punch also.. ;) ;D

I have been looking for a suitable punch myself..But please put me first in line when you do the pouch.. :D

Thanks RJ for your goodness in consideration.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2005, 06:47:18 PM »
RJ, I'll take a 3" punch  in brass also with a pouch to fit both the stick and punch. Thanks, Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2005, 10:19:26 PM »
Thinkin' of punches, stop sticks and all - makes me wonder - WTH has our Shelb gotten too - the boy has seemingly ''buggered off''!! :o :)

Hate losing members!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »
Chris,
    Every once in awhile I say.."Shelby where are you"??

I have not heard a word either.. :o
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

RA_Bakken

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »
Hi RJ.

This IS a great idea.  I'm in for a brass version.  Can I order from your website?  If not, let me know and I'll get the money to you.

Thanks for taking on this project!

-- Spectro

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 10:09:19 AM »
Spectro
Check PM,...........Welcome aboard  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 10:10:07 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2005, 02:29:34 AM »
How about a nylon tipped steel punch?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 06:58:22 PM »
George - nylon is excellent as an impact cushion and protector but at 1/16" dia I can't think of any real reliable way to attach effectively, a small nylon tip.  As a material it is in relative terms a bit soft and flexible - thus can be distorted with any side force.

A steel punch is Ok if ground to a totally flat and smooth face - with minimal chamfer to avoid cutting edges - after that it is down to the user to be careful.  Brass to is fine if the 1/16" dia section is not over long - to avoid any bend risk.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2005, 11:31:50 PM »
RJ,
   I received my holster, mag pouch and "Stop stick" Today They are great, and you are an artist and a gentleman. Thank you for the great, prompt service. I'm all set now when the pup arrives.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2005, 10:18:19 AM »
Thank you, glad you are pleased.

RJ=
RJ=

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2005, 03:19:55 PM »
Wow, I sure have missed alot in my absence.  My business heated up and I have been working non-stop, but today for some reason I took a few minutes to check things out here...

So this "stop stick" thing has got my attention.  It occured to me right when I got my R9s that I could jam something in the chamber to hold the slide back while I remove the pin, but I was afraid to do that.  

Brass seems like a good idea, but still, it makes me nervous.  Has anyone here noticed that a stop stick has scratched or dinged or otherwise had any impact on their pistol?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »
As I am the *Daddy* of the Stop Stick, my answer may not qualify,  but the Seecamp pistol has this method in the owners manual, only it is a cartridge  case.
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2005, 04:12:07 PM »
>>FYI...I've now used RJ's aluminum and brass Stop Sticks and there is no sign of markings on my R9s.

BTW, RJ...  I absolutely LOVE the brass Stop Stick...!  The rounded off head is a nice touch...!!  This tool is so cool that I want to carry it around with me just to look at...!  So, RJ...  How about a tiny leather sheath for the Stop Stick...?...kinda like the one I have for my gold tooth pick.  Well...I don't actually have a gold tooth pick - but if I did I'm sure it would come with that nice leather sheath...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »
RJ,
    I would like to try a brass one also if you do so..I sent for 2 of the alum. ones. :)

I have a thought (Lots of work for you though :o) of a very small "case" for the stop sticks,and a punch.. ::)

I had bought my Father an "ivory" toothpick and case that it slid into with the upper part remaining out..I thought it was a great present as the old man always had a Tpick around.

A case of that nature would keep those items together and look good along the R9..

I know RJ,You have too much work to keep up with now.. :o

Never hurts to ask though.. ;)

TW,
     We must be as one with the Rohrbaugh "Takedown Kit"  ;) ;D
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe