Author Topic: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"  (Read 32014 times)

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
Re: The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick&
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »
That's it. Just dangle the bait and reel 'em in. But ...RJ hasn't been around this long because he's dumb. It's gonna take more than that to out fox the fox!
Mike

Nice try though.
doubletapMike

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2005, 10:11:49 PM »
Mike is right, I just saw RJ put on his blinders!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2005, 11:53:13 PM »
 ;D :) :D
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2005, 01:02:21 PM »
Finally had a chance to try my stop stick last night and clean up the R-9...

The stop stick worked great.  Having the right tools availbable -- stop stick, proper size punch, and a pair of pliers -- makes disassembly a breeze!

Thanks, RJ.  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
Thanks Gator,  try making a light scratch on the "Stick" at the right depth for pin alignment.  It helps a little..
RJ=

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2005, 08:12:27 PM »
Maybe I'm to low-tech for my own good.  When I disassemble my R9s, I hold the gun in my left hand, barrel facing left, thumb through the trigger guard, fingers curled over slide.  I pull the slide back with my right hand until the hole and pin line up, then hold the slide in that position just by clamping my fingers down.  I use anything handy to start the pin out (often a round wood toothpick but always something softer than the aluminum frame), then pull it out with my right hand.  Let the recoil spring relax, and ease off the slide.  Voila!  Anyway, if I'm ever in the boonies with no tool kit, I know I can take the bug apart. ;D

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2005, 08:28:16 PM »
There are a few pins that don't move that easily, mine for one .  And I would say, there are not that many guys that can do what you describe, or would have the patience to learn.  

I think Eric and Karl can do it as you described..  
Wish I could... :D
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2005, 09:36:09 PM »
My #1 R9 is easy with the pin - line up per Musician's method and push it out - yep - toothpick can work.

#2 gun tho is a tad tighter and does need a small impact via a punch - not much but for that I use my famous (genuine :D ) chopstick.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:42 PM »
.........And Heck,  I still go 30 of the Aluminum "Sticks" to Peddle.  $12....... need one?? :-[ :-/ ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:25:49 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2005, 05:26:21 AM »
RJ, your stop stick works great!  I tried mine for the first time tonight.  For the past few months work has kept me quite busy, but tonight I decided to tear down my R9s and relube it.

I stuck the stop stick in place, lined up the hole and takedown was that simple.

One question for you guys, though.  I noticed that the recoil spring seemes a lot weaker than it used to be.  The pin pushed right out, which has never happened before.  On reassembly, I had no trouble just using my fingers to get the guide rod back in.  Before I always had to use the channel lock wrench.

The pistol has spent a lot of time in my pocket, but until tonight it has been months since I even racked the slide.  Maybe the spring just weakened?  Should I be concerned?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2005, 11:16:20 AM »
One question for you guys, though.  I noticed that the recoil spring seemes a lot weaker than it used to be.  The pin pushed right out, which has never happened before.  On reassembly, I had no trouble just using my fingers to get the guide rod back in.  Before I always had to use the channel lock wrench.

The pistol has spent a lot of time in my pocket, but until tonight it has been months since I even racked the slide.  Maybe the spring just weakened?  Should I be concerned?

Jim:

That's a "puzzlement."  I can't figure out why the recoil spring would lose a discernible amount of tension without being cycled at least a few hundred times.  It may be that your Rohrbaugh just happened to contain a defective spring.  (Murphy's Law applies even to modern metalurgy.)  If it were mine, I suppose I would go ahead and order a replacement spring.    

[You haven't been eating a lot of Wheaties and spinach, have you?   ;) ]
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2005, 02:32:58 PM »
I mentioned in another post not too long ago - my take on this weakening is -

There are two factors at work - one, and here the prime - is the ''set'' the spring will take after being fitted and then being under a constant compression.  Once initial set occurs - after probably many days - it will level out and further change should not occur.  Wolff will most lilkely have this set allowed for in the effective average spring rate.

Second factor is actual cycling - and it is under that loading that I think Bros R choose to recommend a change after 500 miles (rounds!).!!  In theory once an initial set is taken, a spring should manage millions of cycles - viz car valve springs, tho they are very purpose made.

The R9 spring is I think a compromize for many reasons and so benefits from a change at periodic intervals.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The Aluminum Chop Stick, aka "Stop Stick"
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2005, 09:13:17 AM »
>>I've noticed the same thing as jarcher with springs in both my R9s, although I do not detect any probs from the "set" springs.  Actually, I rather expected such shrinkage, and enjoy being able to put the guns together without channel locks for a while.  Thus far I just stick to swapping out springs every 500, as per factory specs.  

What are other folks thoughts and experiences with this issue...?...TW<<

Offline HiCap

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »
I just got my 9s, # 8xx.  The recommendation with the instructions says to change the spring every 250 rounds.  
????

HiCap

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2005, 10:00:50 AM »
Thanks for the update, HiCap.  

I just downloaded the manual from Rohrbaugh Firearms, and they still say 500 rounds.

Did the 250 statement come as an insertion into the manual?

My pistol was received last month, and included an additional sheet.  I'll check it out again.

Thanks again,

Bill