Author Topic: Ken Null SMZ shoulder holster for R9S  (Read 16084 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Ken Null SMZ shoulder holster for R9S
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:39:21 AM »
Although the R9S is a pocket holster, I ordered the SMZ from Ken Null just for the heck of it.  It was not listed on Ken's web site, but he told me that they do make it.  It can be worn under or over a tucked-in shirt.

Yes, it probably is silly to have this, or an IWB holster, for carrying the R9S.  You find some weirdo everywhere you go.

It has been described as light weight, strong, and inexpensive.  It is a synthetic material.

The price is only $50 plus $5 shipping.

Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Ken Null SMZ shoulder holster for R9S
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:11:03 PM »
Bill,
Sounds like a good idea, especially in a cold climate;
let us know what you think about it.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:15:46 PM »
Thanks, tracker.  I sure will.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:02:58 PM »
I selected the SMZ because Mr. Matt Del Fatti called attention to it on his web site.

Because of his gracious help with the SMZ, my next holster request will be sent to him.

The Del Fatti holsters have great appeal.  I'm ready for one.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:13:31 PM »
Actually, the SMZ design works well for little, lightweight guns, like the J-frame S&W (which Mr. Null provides in the similar City Slicker), and should work well for the R-9S.

My own experience is that they don't work as well for heavier guns (I have one for the HK P7M8, which is a fairly heavy pistol for its size), since a "pendulum" effect occurs, but the Rohrbaugh will likely be comfortable in this CCW method.

Please post pics if or when you can!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 08:44:42 PM by SAWBONES »
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
SAWBONES, thank you very much for your supportive remarks.  I'm really glad to read what you said.

It's hard to visualize how it hooks up, when it is inside a tucked-in shirt.  Maybe the directions will explain.

I certainly will post a picture when it arrives.  

Thanks again.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 02:12:50 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »
The SMZ holster seems like a bargain for $50.00 + $5.00 for shipping.

For a right-hand shooter, the left arm goes through an adjustable holster "loop", and the R9S hangs vertically near the left arm pit, with the muzzle pointing up, and the grip pointing to the rear.

A long strap comes across the back of the neck, perhaps under your shirt collar, then in front of your right shoulder, and down to behind the 3 o'clock belt loop, where it clips to your belt.

If worn under a shirt, the clip could be attached to under shorts.

The R9 is drawn by pushing the pistol up slightly, and then rotating the pistol to unsnap the snap.

I'm still in the holster adjusting stage, and hope to soon start trying it out with an unloaded gun.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:30:17 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Buz

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »
" Yes, it probably is silly to have this, or an IWB holster, for carrying the R9S.  You find some weirdo everywhere you go."

Hey Michigunner, I resemble that remark!

I feel the R9 becomes invisible while IWB with an untucked shirt.  moreso than in the front pocket.  I find that if I suspect someone is carrying, I look at their front pockets.  If there is something bulky or heavy in there, I assume it is a gun.

As for IWB, I've carried my J-Frame this way for years and always thought is was the best way to look like I wasn't packing.  Now IWB has become EVEN BETTER with the R9.  Nobody can see it, even if they are trying to spot it.  The R9 doesn't have that "large" telltale handle sticking out like with a J-Frame.  I feel very confident in public that nobody even SUSPECTS I have the R9 on me.

Just wanted you to know what us wierdos are thinking when it comes to IWB and the R9.   ;)

Buz

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 11:03:26 AM »
Hi Buz,

Yes, I see what you mean.  Come to think of it, IWB would be very easy and comfortable.  It sounds like a fine idea.

I had previously thought that IWB folks might prefer a much larger gun, and reserve the R9 for the pocket when a tucked-in shirt was needed.

Now I think we all need one of each kind.

Bill

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 11:04:33 AM »
Bill, would you be so kind as to favor us with a photo? I'd like to see how Mr. Null wrapped the holster around the R9s . . .

Thanks! erich

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 11:37:12 AM »
Hi Erich,

It is my pleasure.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 07:21:09 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Buz

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »
Bill,
I do agree, pocket carry is best when a tucked in shirt must be worn.  My point was IWB for casual untucked carry.  

Also, I actually don't feel the need for a larger primary piece than the R9 since the statistical likelihood of me actually having to discharge it into someone is EXTREMELY rare.  I would rather have daily comfort than have to constantly overcarry with a cumbersome .45 or even a .40.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 04:04:33 PM »
I agree, Buz.  It looks like time to start thinking about more holsters.   :)

Bill

Offline Buz

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 04:14:44 PM »
I'd like to see a pic of that SMZ on your person.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »
Buz,

These are not my photos, but Mr. Del Fatti was very gracious to show the SMZ on his web site, for those who wanted to carry a small light gun in a shoulder holster.  His holsters can be seen at www.delfatti.com

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:28:10 PM by Michigunner »