Author Topic: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?  (Read 17009 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
How Should A Pocket Holster Work?
« on: October 29, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »
I am having difficulty drawing cleanly out of a right front pocket holster.

The holsters fit snugly around the R9 and I have small hands/thumbs (wear a men's 8 glove) and I have great difficulty pushing the holster away from the gun as I draw. In fact, I simply can not push some holsters away.

The best holster seems to be one that catches on my pocket as I draw so that I don't have to attempt to push it away. But, I am not sure if the holster will indeed catch the pocket 100% of the time and give me a clean/sure release.

Let me say that I am trying holsters by RJ, R. Graham, Matt Delfatti, Milt Sparks and K.D.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I slick the inside of the holsters with a teflon product? What do you all do? Thanks. Dick
Welcome home

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »
Dick,

I cured my similiar problem by inserting and removing the pistol some 500 times, outside the pocket.  Soon, it became somewhat loose, and you could turn the holster upside down and the weapon would fall out.

Now, when I draw, the holster stays in the pocket.

I always avoid putting any additional chemical on leather to change the retention scheme.

I sold all my holsters except the Hedley and Milt Sparks PCH.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:58:13 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 04:12:47 PM »
I don't think RJ likes this suggestion, but you might try getting one of his back pocket holsters, and carrying it in your front pocket -- the "print panel" get's pushed out by my hand -- I can't see how it would ever come out w. the gun.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Dick:

PM sent.  ;)
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 08:36:33 PM »
Hey Richard:
I you're having trouble with the one I just sent you, it's most probably because it's "new snug".  You can stretch it the same way you would a too tight hip holster and then some.  I agree with Bill that in the case of a pocket holster, the holster works easier if it doesn't retain the pistol when upside down.  

In any event, If you prefer to send it back to have it stretched or would like to return it for a refund, just send me an email and let me know.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:05:23 AM »
RJ has a note on his web site to place the pistol in the holster with a piece of leather beside it.

See this link for more info:

http://hedleyholsters.com/howto.html

Look about half way down the page.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:44:06 AM »
I will get beat to death over this one, but it's the truth.
[This is not directed at rTw..  :)   ]

Some holster makers claim the holster will stay in the pocket by its-self due to this or that. The ugly truth is, it's not that rosey.

To work well, the holster must have:
~ very light retention.
~ A shape close to that of the pocket
~ smooth, sealed surfaces inside
~ Front carry, needs a Thumb Push off, just in case
~ but most of all, is for the user to be familiar with the
   holster and its *Draw* characteristics.  
   User must do  their  part, there is no *MAGIC* holster

I deliver a holster  as *Broke In* as possible, and provide means to loosen it further.  Beyond that, I offer *Your Money Back* if not satisfied.  And with a SMILE ..   :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 06:46:15 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:52:10 AM »
Excellent, RJ.  Comments from you and Matt are very appreciated.

That is why I would never add any slippery chemicals to the holsters.   It would utterly defeat all the good work that went into its creation.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:50:48 AM »
Mr. Hedley's comments about pocket holsters are right on.

Unsolicited "plug" follows;

FWIW, I have a right front pocket holster for the R-9s from Matt Del Fatti, and it's a perfect example of what a pocket holster should be, IMNSHO, and I happen to have some experience with pocket holsters (mostly for J-frames), as I've owned more holsters of all sorts than anybody I know or ever heard of.
(Lou Alessi quite seriously told me I'm his single most-ordered private customer, and Matt knows I'm a longtime "holster hound" customer of his for Glocks, HKs and 1911s.)

The holster in question is in rough-out natural horsehide, and the gun is retained to the degree that it won't fall out of the holster if I put my feet up, yet releases instantly when pulled (there's clearance for the finger so that a proper grip can be obtained during the draw and completed as the hand with gun clears the pocket). It came this way, and required no breaking in.
It's thin leather, and adds very little bulk to the pocket-carried "package".
Since the method of carry is almost as important to the CCW equation as the gun itself, I have to give Matt's work an "A++" rating here.

And I'm waiting for a left front pocket example from Mr. Hedley.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 12:08:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.

It's also impossible, I suspect, to have one design that suits all.

I simply find that I cannot grip the grip AND reach the push-off element of some holsters due to my small hand and short fingers/thumb.

The Milt Sparks holster has no push-off component. I assume that with this holster it should come free of the pistol without need for such mechanism-thus a "looser" fit is needed with this holster. Am I correct?

RJ's holster-which has the push-off element along the left side of the slide-on a right-handed holster-works the best-for me. He custom made one for me in order to raise the side panel so that it was closer to the grip and thus a shorter distance from my thumb  allowing me to get a surer thumb push down.

I have a Thad Rybka pocket holster for a Seecamp, which has a leather enclosed steel bar that runs along the top of the slide. I can reach it OK because of the smaller size of the Seecamp. It  isn't as natural as one that's along the side of the slide, however.

I must also say that the design and workmanship of all the holsters  are quite something to behold. My compliments to all. It's quite wonderful to have the quality choices we have. Thank you!
Welcome home

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 01:35:54 PM »
Dick,
To address your specific issue I think it is important to
have the inside made of smooth leather. I also used an
excellent product specifically made to smooth the leather
further but as Michi says some people don't like that.
I, for one, do not like to draw a gun 500 times to smooth it
out. My holster made by Lou Alessi fits all of the aforementioned  considerations but the pup comes out
like greased lightning. That seems very important to me
in a stressful encounter. That is the beauty of this forum;
a lot of opinions and one goes his own way.

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 03:43:31 PM »
Unsolicited "plug" follows;

FWIW, I have a right front pocket holster for the R-9s from Matt Del Fatti, and it's a perfect example of what a pocket holster should be, IMNSHO, and I happen to have some experience with pocket holsters (mostly for J-frames), as I've owned more holsters of all sorts than anybody I know or ever heard of.
(Lou Alessi quite seriously told me I'm his single most-ordered private customer, and Matt knows I'm a longtime "holster hound" customer of his for Glocks, HKs and 1911s.)

The holster in question is in rough-out natural horsehide, and the gun is retained to the degree that it won't fall out of the holster if I put my feet up, yet releases instantly when pulled (there's clearance for the finger so that a proper grip can be obtained during the draw and completed as the hand with gun clears the pocket). It came this way, and required no breaking in.
It's thin leather, and adds very little bulk to the pocket-carried "package".
Since the method of carry is almost as important to the CCW equation as the gun itself, I have to give Matt's work an "A++" rating here.

And I'm waiting for a left front pocket example from Mr. Hedley.

Hey Doc:
I'm glad to hear the holster works for you.  The holster of mine that Richard has is very similar to yours in that it is rough out horse but the front and rear wing have reduced thickness.  

The problem I've seen with the retention qualities of any holster is that it's sort of a fluid scale.  What's "just right" for one person can be "too tight" or "too loose" for the next guy.  But it's easier to stretch a holster than to shrink it   ;D

« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 03:45:17 PM by Matt_Del_Fatti »

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 04:39:17 PM »
Let me make a correction-I don't believe that I have a K&D holster.

Matt-Is the front wing a thumb push off also? if that's the case, I can't reach it when I grasp the grip.  Beautiful workmanship, by the way. Now I see why the guys on the P7 forum go nuts over your holsters and accessories!
Welcome home

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
Hey Richard:
Yes it's actually a combination front extension for shrouding/push bar/pocket hook.  If it's a problem for you and if the holster is the same condition as it was when you received it, just send it on back and I'll give you a refund.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 06:06:07 PM »
Matt,
Nice pocket holster..I like the cut to the top of the slide  :) I would like it in black though ;)

I personally like to draw from the pocket with a push from my middle finger, while slightly grasping the very top of the slide with my thumb.. 8)

This has worked for me with different makes of holsters..

I have never been able to get used to the thumb push,or a "catch on the pocket" to retrieve my pistola..

Just me and 2 cents

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe