Author Topic: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?  (Read 17078 times)

Offline Matt Del Fatti

Re: How Should A Pocket Holster Work?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 06:16:57 PM »
Matt,
Nice pocket holster..I like the cut to the top of the slide  :) I would like it in black though ;)

I personally like to draw from the pocket with a push from my middle finger, while slightly grasping the very top of the slide with my thumb.. 8)

This has worked for me with different makes of holsters..

I have never been able to get used to the thumb push,or a "catch on the pocket" to retrieve my pistola..

Just me and 2 cents

Brenden

Hey Brenden:
I'm a custom holster maker which is to say that I build holsters for individual customers based on the features they want.  Consequently, a holster built for you would have a side push capability.  The holster pictured above was not built specifically for Richard.  It was one I built as a prototype.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 06:35:32 PM »
Matt,

Thanks... :)

I sent you a PM a bit ago..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 07:20:54 PM »
That is a beautiful holster, both in design and workmanship.  And very original too.  And that's saying something in these times.
RJ=

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »
Hey RJ:
Glad you like it!  BTW how did that leather work out for you?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
I ordered two backs, in different weights, just to give it a try.  It has not arrived yet.  I will let you know, shortly..  
RJ=

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 10:27:36 PM »
Many of the pocket holsters have "wings" fore and aft. On one site they are described as aids to keeping the holster in the pocket. They assist by "catching" in the pocket.

Is that the primary function behind this design feature?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 10:29:24 PM by rWt »
Welcome home

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 09:39:32 AM »
Just like a new pair of shoes ,IMO ,leather holsters need to be broken in. ::) :-*
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »
rtw
Is that the primary function behind this design feature?
-----------------------------
The idea is to help in both areas,  Stability and Draw assist
RJ=

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 01:04:52 PM »
They also help to mask the "lump" by allowing the hoster to taper on both sides.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 01:29:06 PM »
That is what I was going to say next...  ;D
RJ=

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:46 PM »
The stability function seems to have 2 components: 1) orientation in the pocket and 2) movement reduction.

Very small holsters without a wing-my Thad Rybka Seecamp pocket holster, for example-seems to settle at an angle in the pocket. The grip is not held in an upright position for gripping ease as in the case of others with wings. It is subject to moving around depending on how big the pocket is on the pants I am wearing making the orientation unpredictable.

On the plus side, it does seem to just disappear without anything really printing.
Welcome home

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 04:32:43 PM »
That is what I was going to say next...  ;D

I knew you were!  That's why I had to beat you to it.  ;D :P

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 08:26:34 AM »
Is there a front pocket holster that works well with jeans? I have a Hedley Limited for my R9 and it works just great with Dockers and other loose fitting pants but with some jeans I find it very difficult to draw the gun out of my pocket. I don't know if a different design would help or not. I suspect that the holster isn't the problem though. When I grip the gun, my hand becomes more "fist-like" and gets stuck in the pants. These are loose fitting jeans but the pocket openings seem to be rather tight.
I'm new to pocket guns so I have no experience with pocket holsters other than the Hedley. Just looking for suggestions from those who have already encountered and hopefully solved this problem. Maybe rear pocket carry with these pants is the only solution?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »
IMHO, jeans are a blessing and a curse for pocket carry...

Jeans have some real positives for pocket carry -- the thick denim resists printing very well and the gun is retained well -- i.e., will never fall out.   You can also very easily hang shirts over jeans (not tuck the shirt in) for additional concealment.

HOWEVER, most jeans pockets are pretty tight.  Even if the pockets are decent size, the openings are small, making extraction difficult.  Gun size plays some part in it, as does you hand size.  Sometimes you have to draw the gun with your fingers as opposed to a true firing time grip, which would be ideal.

Pants, hand size and guns vary quite a bit -- but I don't think the pocket holster is the problem.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
You're right. Now that I give it some more thought I can see that a different holster design would likely have no effect on this one way or the other. I'll just have to practice drawing with my fingers as you say.