Author Topic: Clip-on belt holster?  (Read 21342 times)

Offline kelehedo

Re: Clip-on belt holster?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 11:45:15 PM »
Just received the clip-on holster from Meco.  I'll use it as a cross-draw (left side) on-top-of-the-belt holster.  Seems well-made with a good fit.  In a month or two I'll post back and give you my impressions.

Danin, how is it working?  I'm new here, and trying to decide on my first holster. Thanks.

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 07:17:16 AM »
Working just fine however I suggest a change.  Sit down in the vehicle and hold the gun in the position you wish it to be while you're driving.  The holster I bought holds the gun upright however you'll see that, while driving you really want the gun grip to be pointing forward.

So you should have a holster made for you that has the clip at quite an angle vs straight up as in the picture.  I'd also like to see a retention strap because the gun and holster move around a lot when exiting the vehicle.

I need to send mine back and have it modified.  Otherwise a nice holster.
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
Just received the clip-on holster from Meco.  I'll use it as a cross-draw (left side) on-top-of-the-belt holster.  Seems well-made with a good fit.  In a month or two I'll post back and give you my impressions.

kelehedo.   How's the holster working for you.  I do like the cross-draw.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:21:06 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Clip-on belt holster Ping Robert Locke
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
Greetings all,

I'd like to bump thread this back to the top because I too am very interested in a cross draw for my R9s.  

The picture above looks perfect EXCEPT, as Dan points out, the clip needs to be at about a 45 to 60 degree angle to allow for an efficient, smooth cross draw.  When this is done it would be prudent if some sort of thin retention strap with a velcro closure be added.

I currently use a modified "Bellyband" which my wife altered to allow the  pistol to sit in the "holster" at about a 70 degree angle.  It has a rentention "strap" and it's great except living in south Florida it gets "itchy" when worn directly against the skin under an untucked shirt which is almost 12 months a year.  I wear it around my rib cage about 5 inches above my waist.  if I pull it a little too tight it can begin to become annoying after several hours.  I can't breath deeply.  <BG>

Question to Robert Locke at Meco if you're reading this thread:  Can you tilt the clip to a 45 to 60 degree angle and add a thin strip of something, perhaps anchored on both ends by velcro?  (That way it would be optional to either use it or not use it.)

I would be a "for sure" buyer if you can perfect a functional cross draw holster.  It doesn't have to leather either.  I'd be open to any suitable material.

I hope to hear more on this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:51:57 PM by Quiet1 »
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Quiet1.  Give Robert at Meco Holsters a call and he can make what you want,  I'm sure.  I've talked to him several times and very satisfied with what he can do.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
Dan here again.  The cross-draw clip on holster I bought (pictured earlier in this thread) cannot be easily modified without taking it completely apart.  So I ordered another one - this time with the belt clip at an angle such that the grip points well-forward when I'm seated in the car (60 to 75 degrees).  When it arrives I'll post photos.  I've asked Robert to add a retention strap with a thumb break since I don't like the idea of the gun falling out of the holster when I get into or out of the car, or when I bend over.   I think this is going to be the ticket.  Right now the gun is kept in the console under my elbow and under the hinged padded arm rest cover, and it takes much too long to get it into my hand.

Photos to follow.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
Dan.  This sounds just like what we need.  I, sometimes, just put mine in the seat, and don't like that at all.  It is in the holster and scotched under the seat back; still not good.

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
DaninVA,

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing your review of your new crossdraw holster after you receive it.

I've just gone ahead and ordered a "paddle style" cross draw Kydex holster from David Brown at buybrownholsters.com.  When it arrives I too will post a pic and let you all know my "review".

If anyone else is interested, I've attached copies of my correspondence with David prior to my placing an order.

On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:00 PM, David Brown wrote:

Hi Lance,

I actually can make this holster.

They run 45.00 + 6.00 shipping

Please let me know how I can help you further.

Thank you

David Brown

444 e. angeline ave
Queen Creek AZ 85240
www.buybrownholsters.com
e-mail & pay-pal acct.
azgunnut@earthlink.net

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 1:12 PM
To: AZgunNut@earthlink.net

Subject: Cross draw for Rohrbaugh R9s

Can you make an OSW Kydex "Cross Draw" holster for the Rohrbaugh R9s?  

I would want a 45 degree cant and would prefer either a paddle or clip-on style to a belt style however would use the belt style if that is all you would offer.

If you can make this item please include the price in your reply.  Thanks in advance for your reply.=

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
Quiet1.  Do you think the Kydex holster is OK on the gun's finish?

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
Quiet1.  Do you think the Kydex holster is OK on the gun's finish?
kj,

I had some apprehension about that until I saw a post from someone who has had long term experience with both Kydex and leather holsters and it was his opinion and experience that Kydex actually causes LESS "holster wear" then leather.   (I thought I read that post here but, after a short search, I can't find it so it may have been on another board.)

Anyway, he gave several reasons backing up his claim and they all made very good sense to me.  (Number of contact points, Pistol movement, difference of the flexabity between the two materials, etc.)

Another element in the equation is moisture retention between leather and Kydex.  I live in southwest Florida where it's really hot during the summer months.  It's not unusual to perspire just standing still so that was also an issue.  ;D  The bottom line though is:  We'll see.  I hope that the individual who made the above referenced post is correct.  If I find it's a problem I'll post my experience here.

Regards, Quiet1

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Quiet1.  That certainly would be good to know.  I have no experience with Kydex so looking forward to yours.  Thanks.

Offline RemoraHolsters

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
The Remnora No-Clip holsters can be tucked in the waistband anywhere and can also be used between the belt and pants.

Check them out at:

http://www.remoraholsters.com

We make 5 models that will work with the Rohrbaugh:

1XSMA2 - Hold just the gun in the holster.
1XSMA3 - Holds a gun with added accessories or for those that like a looser fit.
1XSMALP - The gun sits lower in the holster and exposes more of the grip (new product - not in the online store yet, will have to fill out the contact form on the website)
1XSMAWM - Holds the same guns as the 1XSMA3, but with an extra mag pocket.
1XSMAAH - Holds the same guns as the 1ZSMA2, but has velcro attached to use with the velcro leg strappings. Can be used as a pocket holster also.

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
Well the cross-draw Meco clip-on belt holster w/retention strap and thumb break just arrived.  The 75 degree angle is just right for when you're seated.  The retention strap will definitely prevent the gun from falling out of the holster.  I have only one concern: the thumb break is going to require some practice.  

On an upright strong-side holster the thumb break is typically positioned such that when you go to draw the weapon your thumb naturally falls behind that little flap of the leather strap, and as you fully grip the gun your thumb forces the snap to pop open without your having to even think about it.

On this holster, because of the angle and because of the gun itself and the lack of an exposed hammer - it's going to take some practice to learn to draw the gun and pop open that thumb break.  In the pictures it may appear the retention strap isn't fully snapped closed.  It's closed completely.  It's a good thumb break.  All you have to do is put your thumb behind that leather extension, and the snap pops open.  If the R9 had an exposed hammer, and if this were an upright holster vs the 75 degree angle, the retention strap would go around the back of the gun instead of kind of under the gun, and that thumb break would be positioned right where your thumb is when you draw the gun.  I wanted the strap and thumb break - I'll have to learn to use it or I may remove it.

I just received the holster so these are just my initial impressions.

Nice holster, very well made, gun fits perfectly, strong clip and at the perfect angle.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:04:30 PM by DaninVA »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Dan.  Very nice.  Excellent workmanship.  I like the full stitching.

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
I like it too.  I have XXXL hands so for me the thumb break is in the wrong position.  The retention strap needs to go around the back of the gun not "under" it.  I've contacted Robert to see about making that change.  To be honest, the fit of the R9 is good and tight so that strap may not be needed.  But in my experience holsters loosen up a bit, and it IS at a 75 degree angle.  

I'd hate for the R9 to fall out and onto the ground.  Could be an uncomfortable situation.