Author Topic: Recluse holster  (Read 18439 times)

Offline Recluse

• Expert
Re: Recluse holster
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
The "Solo" is on the way.

A pre-paid shipping label is also in the box.  You can just use the same box to return the Front Pocket holster.

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
The "Solo" is on the way.

A pre-paid shipping label is also in the box.  You can just use the same box to return the Front Pocket holster.

This is the best customer service I have ever received, thank you.

I'll do a nice review of the holsters and the CS you've provided.

Thanks.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline bspooky

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »
I have a recluse holster for my PM9 and bodyguard 380 and LOVE them. I went through many holsters before finding the recluse...If I had only started there.

And yes, I will be ordering one for my incoming Rohrbaugh.  ;D

Offline SandMan

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
so, I just saw this discussion -- I got a front pocket Recluse last year and have been pretty happy with it -- but, I now see the Solo - is the basic difference just a smaller size?

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
What is the draw like with these?  

I am interested in front pocket holsters for my R9 and PM9 but I'm leary of this design, the leather looks like it would wrap around on the edges making a draw difficult as the holtser ages.

Any input from those that have used them, and drawn from them as they break in?
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline bspooky

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »

I am interested in front pocket holsters for my R9 and PM9 but I'm leary of this design, the leather looks like it would wrap around on the edges making a draw difficult as the holtser ages.

Not sure what you mean by wrap around the edges...of the handle? I have carried my PM9 or bodyguard 380 daily in their recluses (PM9 more often, and practiced drawing with it far more often) and I haven't noticed any breakdown or softening of the material anywhere that hinders the draw. The PM9 holster is at least 1.5 years old...maybe 2.5? Guess I am getting old, can't remember. LOL

I REALLY like being able to get pretty much a full grip on the handle without removing the gun from the holster. Not sure it would save all that much time but it has been comforting on two occasions.

I found other front pocket bolsters tended to, at least at times, bring the holster with the gun. Not good. And I like that because there is no leather or material for the most part on one side of the gun it is just that much thinner overall.

I can't speak for the R9 version, but will have one later on at least. Can't imagine it is any different.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:58:31 PM by bspooky »

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »

From the way I'm interpreting your post, the leather wrapping around the pistol is not an issue.

The holster is easier to draw from than what you would expect. Your fingers will smoothly slip between the holster and the pistol allowing you to gain a full grip on the pistol.

I initially purchased the front pocket holster from Recluse. I was a fullback in highschool and I still have that build somewhat, especially large upper legs; therefore my pants are usually tight/tighter in my thigh/front pocket area. Anything I carry in a front pocket leaves a very visible outline. The front pocket holster was IMO, too big and it printed an odd looking triangular shape in my front pocket. It didn't look like anything you would be carrying in a front pocket. I exchanged that holster for a Solo. The Solo is the smallest holster Recluse makes and it is completely square. I am very happy with it; it is smaller and resembles a wallet, iPhone, Palm Pilot etc. It's more natural looking in the front pocket.

I would like to do a review on the holsters, but my life is so busy right now, I just don't have time, but I hope my post helps.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8

Offline SandMan

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »

From the way I'm interpreting your post, the leather wrapping around the pistol is not an issue.

The holster is easier to draw from than what you would expect. Your fingers will smoothly slip between the holster and the pistol allowing you to gain a full grip on the pistol.

I initially purchased the front pocket holster from Recluse. I was a fullback in highschool and I still have that build somewhat, especially large upper legs; therefore my pants are usually tight/tighter in my thigh/front pocket area. Anything I carry in a front pocket leaves a very visible outline. The front pocket holster was IMO, too big and it printed an odd looking triangular shape in my front pocket. It didn't look like anything you would be carrying in a front pocket. I exchanged that holster for a Solo. The Solo is the smallest holster Recluse makes and it is completely square. I am very happy with it; it is smaller and resembles a wallet, iPhone, Palm Pilot etc. It's more natural looking in the front pocket.

I would like to do a review on the holsters, but my life is so busy right now, I just don't have time, but I hope my post helps.

I agree with this as well.  The bottom edge of the original Recluse is folded & stitched for the muzzle and is very stiff - does not 'wrap,' but it will 'bend' a little depending on the pocket.  It has been true for me that the wider, single ply top edge WILL curl as it also conforms to the shape of a pocket, especialy if it is relatively tight one.  That slight curl has never presented any issue with drawing the pistol at all.  

I might take a look at the Solo now b/c of the same point about the original just being pretty big & oddly printing... I even toyed with the idea of just taking an exacto knife to the 'extra' leather width along the top... but, maybe not!! :o :o ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:08:01 PM by SandMan »

Offline sabredog

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
Hey Guys...I got a Horsehide Recluse Solo and Mag pouch about 3 weeks ago.  I've carried it daily since and love it.  It is everything I'd hoped for and more.  The guys at Recluse were great to work with.  I recommend it to everyone who carries.  The quality is excellent and the Stealth just seems to pop into my hand when I ask for it.
Beware the Sabredog

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I always have an eye on those.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
Hey Guys...I got a Horsehide Recluse Solo and Mag pouch about 3 weeks ago.  I've carried it daily since and love it.  It is everything I'd hoped for and more.  The guys at Recluse were great to work with.  I recommend it to everyone who carries.  The quality is excellent and the Stealth just seems to pop into my hand when I ask for it.

sabredog.  Welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for the info on your Recluse and glad it's working well.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:37:23 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beacon

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
The recluse seems to be about the thinnest option out there.  I am surprised I cannot find  many comments on this forum about it.  I will be front pocket carrying.  It seems like there are a couple of votes for the solo.  Does anyone have experience with drawing vs other pocket holsters?  Is there ever an activity where the recluse has come out of the holster since it is not 'sandwiched' between leather like others.  I want to like it but am hesitant to order.  Any comments are appreciated.   Thanks.

Offline Dire_Straits

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »
I carry my R9 daily in the Recluse Solo and have since I purchased it.

I haven't had any issues with the pistol coming out of the holster. The design of the holster holds it securely, HTH.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »

Difficult to measure but I wonder if there is more wear on the inside of the pocket from direct gun contact, if that is the case, rather than from a full holster with less gun contact with the pocket.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
Difficult to measure but I wonder if there is more wear on the inside of the pocket from direct gun contact, if that is the case, rather than from a full holster with less gun contact with the pocket.

Possibly more finish wear on the gun from rubbing the pocket whenever your moving, as opposed to being held secure in a holster that does the rubbing.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson