Author Topic: Thinking about getting a R9s  (Read 6975 times)

Offline roryb

Thinking about getting a R9s
« on: May 24, 2004, 01:51:45 AM »
but I have a few reservations.

First of which is the recoil.  I currently pocket a S&W J-frame .38 Special (16 oz) and would hope that the recoil on this gun would not be any worse than my current gun.  Can anyone provide a comparison (subjective is fine).

Second, what kind of maintenance is this gun going to need.  What I mean is maintenance above and beyone a normal gun.  For example, the 380 Seecamp suggests replacing springs every 500 rounds.

This seems to be a great gun and easier to pocket than either my revolver or the Kahr PM9 I have been looking at, but I doubt this will be at the rental counter any time soon!  So given the price, I want to make sure this is the gun for me.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Thinking about getting a R9s
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:28:08 AM »
Hi Rory ...  :)

OK, recoil.  Best I can say for this is .... if you have shot the P3-AT (.380) .... which is a very light polymer framed gun .... then you'll feel about same from R9.  I wouldn't class recoil as ''punishing'' but OTOH it is not what I'd call pleasant.  That is nothing against the piece ... far from it .. it just goes with the territory.!!

My thinking is this .... once you have gotten your initial practice out the way, during which maybe you'll find as I did with a range test ... 70 or so rounds is ''enough'' for one session.  After that, then maybe regular practice with just ten rounds per session ... not too bad.  Add to that, once you have mastered the gun, the only thing you'd be worrying about really is recoil ''in extremis'' ... something we hope never to happen and if it did then .... you'll not be any worse off I think that using a snub .38 for instance.

Maintainance .. well Rohrbaugh suggest same regimen with springs as Seecamp .. 500 rounds.  Beyond that ..... just basic  cleaning.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline roryb

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 02:28:43 PM »
About the spring that needs replaced.  Is it a standard size?  

I would hate to buy this gun and (although I don't wish this to happen) have the company go out of business and not be able to get any more.  

Since I primarily use revolvers, this may be an invalid concern due to my lack of experinece with sub-compact semi-autos.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 02:56:28 PM »
Two springs Rory .... it has a duplex arrangement ... see pic below.  I'd not be surprised if the springs are not already made out of house and very possibly by Wolff ... in fact I seem to remember Eric telling me something about Wolff with regard to one of the inernal springs.  He praised the relationship he has with them.

So - no biggie I'd say .... and now that guns are being shipped out, about as fast as the guys can manage .. I shall hope very much that this will be a great success story.  There are  reviews in some mags - due to appear soon too .. this will or should further stimulate demand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to add .... I reckon this spring arrangement is probably rather cleverly designed.  The smaller spring will act at beginning of slide rearward movement ... allowing for fast acceleration .... then, after approx 50% of travel .. the larger and stronger spring comes into play ... slowing the slide rapidly.  Probably a much better system than a simplex like with 1911's and many autos.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 02:59:25 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline roryb

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 03:16:36 PM »
Thanks R9s carry.  Sounds like I need to get one of these before these articles come out or I will be waiting awhile.

I hope this gun is a success and I have yet to hear anything negative about it (aside from price).  It would be great to see enough $$ roll in that they can develop some new configurations like a model with gutter snipe sights similar to the NAA Guardian.  IMHO that and in the gray would be a near perfect pocket gun.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »
It in my understanding they are Wolff springs.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »
I expect to replace my recoil springs every 250 to 400 rounds. I see no reason to unduly punish the frame through practice.

Rohrbaugh needs to open up its on-line store to sell replacement springs and spare mags. I would also like them to sell replacement guide rods and plugs as well.

I also assume that Rohrbaugh will sell holslters through their on-line store as well. Seecamp use to do that. NAA still does it.

On on-line manual and detailed field stripping photo's would also be nice. There are photo's in their manual, but the resolution is small.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »
There are no spare mags to sell just yet...  :(

Supply is expected to catch up to demand soon.  For now, all the mags are going into guns to get them out the door.

Rohrbaugh is definitely going to offer holsters in their on-line store.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 03:17:11 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:14:03 PM »
Yea, but in time I suspect that Rohrbaugh will sell spare mags, if for no other reason to limit potential after market vendors sales.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 10:02:43 PM »
Oh, no -- of couse they are.  They just don't have enough to spare right now.  They will soon.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »
Eric told me yesterday that the recommendation to change springs after 500 rounds was made before they arranged to use the current high-end Wolff springs.  Unless you plan to run more than 4,000 rounds through the the Rohrbaugh (just contemplating that causes my my right hand to ache), it shouldn't be necessary to change springs.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 10:59:51 PM »
I believe the pistol was intended not to have sights. Sights probley reduce liability and made the pistol marketable to the LE community. It's not a target gun and likely will be carried much more than shot. It's a quality pocket gun. I could not be happier with my purchase as it is exactly what I expected. With it being NEW (design and company) I expected a break-in period with a problem or two. It appears the reliability of mine is improving (1 of 130 rounds jammed on the 2nd outing as compared to 3 of 160 during the 1st outing). I believe this pistol will do everything I expect a pocket pistol to do.

I also had called Eric R. just prior to receiveing my pistol and received the same information about the 4000 round spring change. The barrel and slide were lengthened by 0.30 of an inch to accommodate the new spring assembly and reduce frequent spring changes. Works for me.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 11:07:25 PM »
I would say recoil between a alloy J frame with standard pressure loads and the R9 is comparable.

I find the R9 more accurate and controlable than the alloy J.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2004, 11:56:53 PM »
I shot mine quite a bit and I will add, now, an advice to clean after 300 rounds or less.  The tolerances are very tight and cleaning is required.  

This is a fine pistol, built to wonderfully tight tolerances.  I also find it as accurate as the shooter is capable of... I finally got mine to the point that I was shooting groups equal to my Keltec P-11 and nearly as good as my Glock 19, but far better than either of the 9mm S&Ws that I shot that were owned by the fellow next to me on the range.

This kind of accuracy is a result of the fabulous trigger and the very decent sights.  The sights look almost useless, but the gun is so well designed that they work WELL.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 12:52:00 AM »
Good advise. I am anal retentive when it comes to cleaning. I do it every time I shoot.