Author Topic: Which cartridge?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Chuck_S

Which cartridge?
« on: October 14, 2005, 12:40:10 PM »
New R9S here.  My only 9mm other than my service M9 so I have little ammo on hand other than M885 9mm NATO (124gr) which may be a little hot for this lil' critter.

I figure to function test her with a couple of boxes of Winchester or Federal 9mm Parabellum 115gr.

What after that?  147gr?  124gr?  115gr?  JHP?  EFMJ?

I'd know what to feed her if she was .45ACP, but I'm not real familiar with the state of the art for  lil' 9mm pistols.

-- Chuck

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Which cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »
Try, Gold Dot 115 or 124 gr JHP. They are one of the choices from Rohrbaugh.  Welcome
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
Chuck, welcome to the forum.  Glad to see you.

Most people start out with Gold Dots, standard pressure, like Tom said.

Then, I bet just about anything will work.

I use Winchester Ranger LEO 147 gr.   Some years ago, everybody laughed at 147 gr., but now it is highly regarded.

I'm getting ready to use Magsafe, which is very expensive, but recoil is said to be lighter, and some say very damaging to the target.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 08:35:30 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »
Chuck:

Welcome to the forum.  I think you will find that it is a good and knowledgeable group of people around here.

As for ammunition, check out the excellent FAQ Sheet which Chris [R9SCarry] has created for the Rohrbaugh pistols.  (The link is shown as a recurring header at the top of the Forum's opening page.)  Being of the "Big & Slow" school of thought, I personally load 147-gr. Remington Golden Sabers in my early-issue R9s and have had no trouble with the round.  However, the general concensus around here tends to center around Speer Gold Dots (115 or 124), and the ballistics of that 115-grain Gold Dot are impressive.

By the way . . . what is your preference in .45 ACP?  I've been using Silvertips or Golden Sabers, but I'm always looking.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
Chuck_S,

Welcome..

I have had great feeding with the GD 115s.. ;)

Also flawless with the Winnie STHPs.. :)

Shoot,WWB has been fine in mine too.. 8)

Read Chris's FAQs when you have time, and it will help you try to figure things out!!

Once again,Welcome..

Brenden
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:16:28 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 03:13:22 AM »
Mine's eaten just about everything so far -- I wouldn't use the NATOs though.  The 115 gr. silver tips do recoil quite a bit less than the 147 gr. hydrashocks, IMO -- no idea on the Gold Dots, I should, since I bought plenty, but I haven't used any yet.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Chuck_S

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 04:23:41 PM »
Thanks, I went thru the ammo FAQ.  Everything seems to work well in ballistic gelatin.  I was more concerned with the pistol's functioning.

When in doubt I always select the heavier bullet.  Hence the supply of 124gr NATO and 147gr 9mm Para cartridges.

.45ACP I've not found any significant differences between HydraShoks, Golden Sabers, of Federal EFMJ.  The later seems to feed better from some short barrelled M1911 types.

-- Chuck

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 01:23:58 AM »
Chuck - welcome to you :)

My FAQ is far from definitive but maybe gives folks a baseline to help in decision-making.  

I also for most part favor heavy and slow!  Tho in R9 have so far stayed with 124 GD's, and same (tho +P) in my SIG 226.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 05:44:09 PM »
I think the best standard pressure 9mm round in Winchester RA9T.  In lab tests, this tound penetrates as well, and expands as well as +P rounds.  This is a 147gr round and I like heavy and slow.

I don't mean to knock Speer GDHP though.  That is fine stuff!

Offline Chuck_S

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll see if I can find the Winchester.

The only 147 gr I had handy was some ProLoads a few years old.  The R9S didn't like the second round in the magazine and I got the only stoppage so far.  All other shooting has been standard "red box" Federal 115gr FMJ.  A full box with no issues at all.

Shot the pistol for the first time at our "plate shoot" at about 7 yards.  Suprised the heck out of me -- I was getting solid plate hits 70% and barely left on the misses.  I know I was pushing as this is a timed event.  

I gotta put a dot on the front sight!

-- Chuck

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 12:49:54 AM »
" gotta put a dot on the front sight!"

Chuck, If you ever plan to use that great little Rohrbaugh for timed events again during daylight, you could put just a bit of red or other bright color of lady's fingernail paint on the front sight. For my eyes, this really makes the sight stand out, and when you get tired of it just a few wipes with fingernail polish remover will get rid of it completely.  Regards, 9mil.mouse

Offline Chuck_S

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »
Thanks, the R9S is replacing my lil stainless steel Beretta Tomcat and I put some nailpolish on the front sight of that pistol.  I guess I don't need to be more elegant than that!

Timed shoot was maybe 20 plates to shoot at.  Expended all 13 rounds from the R9S -- flash sight picture wasn't really that hard to acquire -- then transitioned to the M1911 to finish them off.  Kinda of backwards I know.

I was shooting against guys with submachine guns most of the time and my times were fine.  Lots of ammo doesn't mean lots of hits.

-- Chuck

Offline mefly2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 12:08:33 PM »
Quote from: Richard S l

By the way . . . what is your preference in .45 ACP?  I've been using Silvertips or Golden Sabers, but I'm always looking.   [/quote

Winchester Ranger 230 gr SXTe rounds as issued by my department in a Wilson stls rail Protector riding in a 6280 Safariland are what I count on for duty.
mefly2
   8)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 06:26:05 PM »
Chuck & mefly2:

Thanks for your responses on the .45 ACP.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:26:50 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"