Author Topic: "dings" in GDHP 115 gr.  (Read 6030 times)

Offline CAB

Re: "dings" in GDHP 115 gr.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »
To chime in here, I noticed the same problem with "dings" in 115 gr. Gold Dot.  If someone figures our the definitive answer, I would like to know.  

Brian

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 05:05:26 PM »
Steve,

I was thinking of what you said regarding unloading.

I put my R9S in the night stand, so it is always loaded and ready to go.

My plan was to leave it completely alone for several months, and then put in fresh rounds.  Well, I might clean it.

I hope others have had satisfactory experience carrying the same ammo for an extended period.

Thanks again for the abrasive tape.  That stuff is terrific.

Bill

Offline LCP

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »
As was previously mentioned one of the great things about this forum and some others is the information that is obtained because there are a number of people dealing with the same tool (guns etc), also with the same interest.
I noticed about a week ago a ding in my GD 115 gr round that was in my R9 mag. It was the top round on the magazine. The crease is right where the bottom of the bullet sits in the case. I removed it and gave it some thought, then put it in my desk drawer.  As I was sitting at my desk reviewing some posts I noticed that others have encountered the same crease in the case.  There does not appear to be a definitive answer to the issue.
Lyle

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 09:51:32 PM »
In any given semi gun (potentially) IMO, the ''trauma'' imposed on a round during loading is or can be significant.

The short journey from mag to full battery is involving quite a change of direction, under considerable pressure as the slide slams the round.  On bigger guns like a 1911 I think everything ''has room'' - but once guns get real small then some of the concessions made to achieve smallness do i think lead at times to this trauma.

For that reason I do not load the same round more than twice as the ''first off the stack'' and try and rotate the rounds, and inspect.  Eventually shooting this carry ammo off and reloading with fresh.

A small perceptible ding does not bother me if case is still easy to chamber - I am more concerned about bullet set-back.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 09:58:49 PM »
Ditto for me and dings on GDHP 115 gr.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread -- I haven't had a ding since I started putting only one round in a magazine, chambering that round, then proceeding to eject and load the magazine fully -- admittedly, I only carried gold dots for a couple months after I saw the ding -- I now carry silver tips, but the pup's been able to shoot everything so far.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »
I will try loading the first round that way.  Thanks!